Master not more than 3000 gt upgrade to master more than 3000 (unlimited )

[QUOTE=jdcavo;138292]
There are also assessments. You do not have to complete all of them for Master 3,000 GT or More, but need to do those that are different for Master 3,000 GT or More. See Enclosure 2 of NVIC 10-14…[/QUOTE]

I’m glad you mentioned those assessments. I have been studying this NVIC carefully. By rough count, in those assessments, there are 150 initials needed but about 96 are “note 1” or not required if you already hold a 500GT-3000GT ChMate/Master STCW Endorsement. Of the 54 or so initials remaining, 25 must be signed off in class, namely Adv. Shiphandling and Adv Stability. That leaves only abt. 29 initials, many of which can be had in those same 2 classes.

If I’m reading this correctly this a pretty good new deal to a 2nd Mate AGT/Master 1600grt/3000gt; it takes one from needing 14 weeks of classes at $18k to needing only 3 weeks of classes at abt. $7k to submit an application for ChMate and to sit for the ChMate/Master examination. :slight_smile:

I’ve gone over it several times just to make sure I’m not reading only what I want to see. Any differing interpretations out there?!

That was a ESPN top ten plays of the day sized alley oop set up Capt. I’m just disappointed I didn’t see it sooner!

[QUOTE If you look at the overall processing times noted in the NMC’s monthly performance report and the discussion about it here on gCaptain, it’s not likely that anyone who submitted an application after March 24, 2014, has made it through the evaluation process.[/QUOTE] I applied March 26. Completed evaluation 5/16 with a little encouragement. I have already completed the appropriate exams and am currently waiting on issuance.

KeysBum, please let us know the details. What license and endorsements did you start out with? What did the NMC require you to get? Were you issued the Master more than 3000 GT with a tonnage limitation? Thanks!

[QUOTE=zacharyn;138337]c.captain. I like your red and blue analogy. It’s cute but you forgot the two most important camps and colors which trump red and blue. ORANGE and GREEN. Orange is the major bayou player and USCG who is influenced by them. and GREEN is for money. Let’s face it, money is the only reason this “new” checklist exists. All we (the USA) is doing by creating this double standard of work boats and deep sea is furthering the divide between our domestic maritime industry and the International US maritime industry. It makes compliance with STCW more difficult and ostracizes us from the international community and their standardization. What do you think another country’s port state control is going to say when they see Master STCW A II/2 3000 GT or more OSV?[/QUOTE]The oil patch created a lot of these same double standard rules itself in pursuit of manning for ever burgeoning OSVs. nothing prevents them from getting Master’s license. see path to unlimited Master thread. there are a bazillion guys who have chosen not to take 3/m test, let alone the other 3. the pathway is there. no whining about classroom costs. you want it, take it. so often said here, an investment in yourself…when OSV mates start working with deck cargo in port and take over cargo pumping duties from beginning to end (anything requiring a DOI) and stop standing 12 hour bridge watches then the double standard will be closer to an end … and CC’s argument will be diluted. None of that is going to happen anytime soon.i’ll gladly fly my flag at camp asshat.Hey Fraqrat… when’s the last time one of your HOS mates lined up, connected, discharged/received a regulated substance, disconnected, and signed the DOI?

Why would a mate want to on an OSV?

Hey Fraqrat… when’s the last time one of your HOS mates lined up, connected, discharged/received a regulated substance, disconnected, and signed the DOI?

Fuck that noise! Did enough of that when I had my 100 ton. Im just fine staying the wheel house looking at the window every now and then while I look over the rules of the road.

Plus what would the Engineers do then? Lord knows the OSV companies would rather send a tech down then have an engineer actually fix anything.

The Hosmax 300/310 series vessels have a cargo mate position. He’s just a mate and not a fourth captain or anything. His job is to handle all the stability, ballasting, loading and unloading of deck and below deck cargo. Just two days ago he was an integral part of the fuel transfer to the rig. He’s not to long out of school so he is in his training phase. Once he has a hang of it he with assistance from the EOW will be in charge of all transfers. I like the idea of the cargo mate position. This frees up the engine room crew to keep from having to call a tech down to the boat to fix something. More times than not we are busy loading all the below deck products. If there is a quick turnaround we are pressed to make repairs and handle cargo. While this is usually happening the 2nd through 5th captains are playing candy crush on the bridge. My thought has always been how can you be the “master” of a vessel if you don’t know every system on the vessel intimately. Welcome to Camp Asshat grab a cold beer and commiserate with c.captain for a bit.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;138391]Fuck that noise! Did enough of that when I had my 100 ton. Im just fine staying the wheel house looking at the window every now and then while I look over the rules of the road. Plus what would the Engineers do then? Lord knows the OSV companies would rather send a tech down then have an engineer actually fix anything.[/QUOTE]Just be sure to look out for that red light on your stbd bow that has “the right of way…”

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;138392]The Hosmax 300/310 series vessels have a cargo mate position. He’s just a mate and not a fourth captain or anything. His job is to handle all the stability, ballasting, loading and unloading of deck and below deck cargo. Just two days ago he was an integral part of the fuel transfer to the rig. He’s not to long out of school so he is in his training phase. Once he has a hang of it he with assistance from the EOW will be in charge of all transfers. I like the idea of the cargo mate position. This frees up the engine room crew to keep from having to call a tech down to the boat to fix something. More times than not we are busy loading all the below deck products. If there is a quick turnaround we are pressed to make repairs and handle cargo. While this is usually happening the 2nd through 5th captains are playing candy crush on the bridge. My thought has always been how can you be the “master” of a vessel if you don’t know every system on the vessel intimately. Welcome to Camp Asshat grab a cold beer and commiserate with c.captain for a bit.[/QUOTE]FRAQ, I’m still laughing my balls off from traitor Yankees Monty Python posts, pls don’t make me piss myself thinking of OSV Masters…But with what you say about HOS new ideas, it lends credence to the word MATE being true, not just a boat driver…

[QUOTE=rigdvr;138360]That was a ESPN top ten plays of the day sized alley oop set up Capt. I’m just disappointed I didn’t see it sooner![/QUOTE]

just had to…

//youtu.be/MSPKFiaQ9no

sorry…

When I was 3rd captain, in charge of the laminator and coffee pot, there was no time for candy crush. I barely had time to post to Facebook a “my view from my office” pic of the boat alongside the rig with a hose on deck.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;138392]The Hosmax 300/310 series vessels have a cargo mate position. He’s just a mate and not a fourth captain or anything. His job is to handle all the stability, ballasting, loading and unloading of deck and below deck cargo. Just two days ago he was an integral part of the fuel transfer to the rig. He’s not to long out of school so he is in his training phase. Once he has a hang of it he with assistance from the EOW will be in charge of all transfers. I like the idea of the cargo mate position. This frees up the engine room crew to keep from having to call a tech down to the boat to fix something. More times than not we are busy loading all the below deck products. If there is a quick turnaround we are pressed to make repairs and handle cargo. While this is usually happening the 2nd through 5th captains are playing candy crush on the bridge. My thought has always been how can you be the “master” of a vessel if you don’t know every system on the vessel intimately. Welcome to Camp Asshat grab a cold beer and commiserate with c.captain for a bit.[/QUOTE]

That is the part about mud boats I never understood, at most of the OSV companies the engineers are basically a tankerman that handles all the cargo then changes the oil and a few filters now and then. That seems to be what the OSV companies want for some reason. Just my 2 cents but they could hire 2 tankerman for what they are paying one engineer now days, then it would let you do the job that you should be doing in the first place. It just seems to me they would be better off training the engineer to be an engineer not dragging hoses around on deck and standing there watching a mud tank fill up. I don’t know how you guys have time to do anything when you are stuck on deck the entire watch.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;138399]That is the part about mud boats I never understood, at most of the OSV companies the engineers are basically a tankerman that handles all the cargo then changes the oil and a few filters now and then. That seems to be what the OSV companies want for some reason. Just my 2 cents but they could hire 2 tankerman for what they are paying one engineer now days, then it would let you do the job that you should be doing in the first place. It just seems to me they would be better off training the engineer to be an engineer not dragging hoses around on deck and standing there watching a mud tank fill up. I don’t know how you guys have time to do anything when you are stuck on deck the entire watch.[/QUOTE]

could it be than most are not capable to troubleshoot and repair complex PLC controlled machinery? I’ve previously told my story about the illiterate OCLLC engineer who had no clue as to what variable AC frequency was even though his $50M vessel was equipped with Seimens Simovert drives. He foamed at the mouth telling me the propulsion motors were all DC even though a person with a working brain in his head could just look at the data plate on one and see the delta for the 3 phase legs!

momma always told me that stoopid is as stoopid says…

[QUOTE=c.captain;138419]could it be than most are not capable to troubleshoot and repair complex PLC controlled machinery? I’ve previously told my story about the illiterate OCLLC engineer who had no clue as to what variable AC frequency was even though his $50M vessel was equipped with Seimens Simovert drives. He foamed at the mouth telling me the propulsion motors were all DC even though a person with a working brain in his head could just look at the data plate on one and see the delta for the 3 phase legs!

momma always told me that stoopid is as stoopid says…[/QUOTE]
Well I don’t like to throw everyone in the same group. There are some very good guys around down there, however there are others that shouldn’t be allowed to be in charge of a canoe. Some of the issues can be blamed on the company that has never provided any tools, test equipment, trouble shooting equipment, and until very recently no training of any kind, formal or OJT. They just check to see if the guy has a valid license then throw them on the boat and say here you go. At one point they wouldn’t put a multimeter on the boat. That still does not excuse the individual from bringing a fluke meter and then know how to use it and understand what it is telling them. When you have an individual that grew up in that environment, and has always made good money no matter how often they call a tech out, then you have a pay scale that is based strictly on having a piece of paper not actually knowing any thing, you get the situation that you describe. Everyone with the same piece of paper making the exact same money makes the HR guys job real easy, but does nothing to promote a atmosphere where people want to strive to better them selves or learn how to be better at their job. It is to easy to say eff it call a tech, I still get paid the same. A lot of the issue can be blamed on the individual being lazy, not caring about being good at his job, but why should they when the worst guy in the fleet gets paid the same as the best.

A decent engineer would actually read the shelf full of manuals and books that are sitting there collecting dust, and use the internet for something besides facebook, even it there is no company provided training, you can still read the books that are onboard. It seems that the OSV companies are content with the engineers being a tankerman/oil changer instead of actually maintaining the equipment. There are 2 companies that are much better than the others, but several are still stuck back in the stone age when it comes to developing quality personal. The old mentality of they have a license they must be qualified, breeds the type of person you described above. Just my opinion if they would base the payscale on some type of performance base where the guy that never calls a tech out gets the top money and the guy that fills a diesel FRC up with gas then wonders why it don’t run should be making minimum wage. It would save the company a ton of money, from not having boats broke down, not having to call out techs, and so forth. I guess it would make the HR guys job a little more difficult and HR would have to listen to more belly aching than they already do, so a performance based pay scale will probably never happen.

There are some that do go the extra mile and put out a ton of effort, but for every one of them there are a bunch that put almost no effort at all into there job, because they still get paid the same, but maybe some people are just stoopid.

Keep castin aspersions and geralizin and you gonna lose that all access pass to Camp Asshat…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;138448]Keep castin aspersions and geralizin and you gonna lose that all access pass to Camp Asshat…[/QUOTE]

is the Camp Asshat you speak of the one located in Great Neck, NY?

if it is, then I am the Grand Marshall of that pathetic clown circus there so only the head of MarAss can fire me.

of course that requires moderately advanced reading comprehension and technical knowledge…something which is not very common with the typical GoM engineer who barely made it through high school even though they knew how to rebuild the engine in their F-250 no problem after blowing it all to hell doing doughnuts in the local Walmart parking lot…the problem is the level of intellect here. The OMSA companies don’t want academy trained engineers just like they don’t want academy trained mates or masters…they are a threat to the established Bayou order even though the money they pay is enough to attract academy talent. I blame the companies and not the people.

There are some that do go the extra mile and put out a ton of effort, but for every one of them there are a bunch that put almost no effort at all into there job, because they still get paid the same, but maybe some people are just stoopid.

Oh now right you are sir…I know that one all to well. What a stoopid phucked up industry dis is!

You’re way off again old man. A third of the crew on every one of our boats is from an academy. In some cases more than that. So we gonna switch from people with a 6000 itc license are stupid to all OSV engineers are stupid now? Then next week we will switch to KP grads are stupid. Then maybe come full circle with MarAd is a joke. Maybe we can mix in all southerners watch swamp people and honey boo boo and are therefore stupid. It’s getting old you need some new material. Be sure to use ALL CAPS so we understand what your saying.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;138475]You’re way off again old man. A third of the crew on every one of our boats is from an academy. In some cases more than that. So we gonna switch from people with a 6000 itc license are stupid to all OSV engineers are stupid now? Then next week we will switch to KP grads are stupid. Then maybe come full circle with MarAd is a joke. Maybe we can mix in all southerners watch swamp people and honey boo boo and are therefore stupid. It’s getting old you need some new material. Be sure to use ALL CAPS so we understand what your saying.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about all that jazz, Fraq, but MARAD is a joke. No doubt about that, had a conference call with the #2 guy and his lackeys a few months ago… Clown show to the PT Barnum degree.

Swamp people and honey boo boo would be a welcome break from “Fair and balanced” Fox News bullshit.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;138465]is the Camp Asshat you speak of the one located in Great Neck, NY?

if it is, then I am the Grand Marshall of that pathetic clown circus there so only the head of MarAss can fire me.

.[/QUOTE]

CC,

Isn’t that your daughter at the front of the right hand column?