License upgrade particularly from 1600 gt master to 3rd mate unlimited!

You would think working your way up from master of one tone to another then finally trying to go for your 3rd mates would be an easy transition?! The truth is its not! It easier for a 500 ton mate to get a 3rd mates license than it is for 1600 ton master to upgrade. You would think it would be the other way around?
Will the NMC ever resolve this issue?
I believe if your eligible to run as a master of a 1600 gt /3000 itc vessel, you should be consider competent enough to work as a 3rd mate. Granted I don’t think it would hurt to require any new licensed upgrades to get a training restriction on their license only to be removed after an on watch 90 day competency assessment prior to the NMC giving a full issuance of a license. then I guess that would cost companies to much money to run that person as an extra for 90 days.

Except by upgrading from master to master to master you completely skip the OICNW requirements, which the 500/1600 ton mate has to do. Thus your path to 1600 ton master is easier than someone who is a 500 / 1600 ton mate first.

And by the way, this topic had been discussed at great length here. Use the search function.

So a mate osv completes the OICNW assessment package and walla they get a 3rd mate unlimited lic.

I dont know what treat is required for mate OSV. If it is the same test as mate 500/1600 tons, and they get all the required sea time, then yes, they get their 3M.

[QUOTE=smasecheby;59829]You would think working your way up from master of one tone to another then finally trying to go for your 3rd mates would be an easy transition?! The truth is its not! It easier for a 500 ton mate to get a 3rd mates license than it is for 1600 ton master to upgrade. You would think it would be the other way around?
Will the NMC ever resolve this issue?
I believe if your eligible to run as a master of a 1600 gt /3000 itc vessel, you should be consider competent enough to work as a 3rd mate. Granted I don’t think it would hurt to require any new licensed upgrades to get a training restriction on their license only to be removed after an on watch 90 day competency assessment prior to the NMC giving a full issuance of a license. then I guess that would cost companies to much money to run that person as an extra for 90 days.[/QUOTE]

The NMC HAS resolved it. Its pretty simple really. If you have not already in your career completed the testing and assessments for OICNW… well… then before they will give you a 3rd Mate Unlimited you have to do so. That includes both a Mate OSV and a Super Duper 1600 ton Master. A Mate OSV has only completed the testing they still have to complete and submit all of the assessments. I don’t see how that’s walla anything, since that is pretty much meeting ALL of the requirements. You’re the one crying trying to convince the NMC to give you a freebie license.

In the spirit of it I actually agree with you. In years past they have granted what you are requesting, but the rules have now changed. This has happened to me and it has happened to others, it will happen again. The ones who really got the shaft were those who completed the OICNW classes just in time for policy letter 11-07 to come out. I think your time would be better served by having someone assess you, (pretty easy because you do most of them everyday as part of your job), and by studying I mean you’re a 1600 ton Master with years of experience right? A lowly Mate OSV exam should be no big deal…right?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;59851]I dont know what treat is required for mate OSV. If it is the same test as mate 500/1600 tons, and they get all the required sea time, then yes, they get their 3M.[/QUOTE]

It is the same test…has been since 2002. The module codes for Mate OSV/500/1600/3rd are different for tracking purposes, but the exams are the same.

this topic had been discussed at great length here

Well, to truly resolve it they will need to start requiring anyone wanting to get master 1600 to complete the OICNW assessments. They are above OICNW and can even sign off on the assessments but have never had to complete them themselves. It does not make sense that they currently dont require anyone going for 1600 ton master that has not previously done the assessments to do them before being issued the license.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;60003]Well, to truly resolve it they will need to start requiring anyone wanting to get master 1600 to complete the OICNW assessments. They are above OICNW and can even sign off on the assessments but have never had to complete them themselves. It does not make sense that they currently dont require anyone going for 1600 ton master that has not previously done the assessments to do them before being issued the license.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what the NMC planned to do. Read the earlier NPRM that came out last October. You will not be able to reach 1600 Master without first being an OICNW. Actually, they will start requiring the management level assessments as well. Imagine the outcry then, it would effectively close the current Master to Master progression loophole, By resolve it I meant that the requirements are printed in black and white and are there to follow for anyone who wishes to upgrade.