Master 500gt to master unlimited near coastal or master less than 3000gt

Hi,

I’ve been looking into upgrading my ticket as per MSN 1856 PART 5.1 (SEE BELOW).

I have UK master 500gt, mate 3000gt unlimited area and OOW unlimited area/tonnage along with a HND in nautical science.
I have been sailing as master 500gt for a number of years with my current company, but they are interested in buying larger vessels and would like me to see if i can upgrade my ticket to suit.
The MCA have been quite vague in their response and i was just wondering if anyone else had ever done this or had any information.
To me it looks like I have everything required to upgrade as long as I sit oral G.

MSN 1856:

5.2 Certification for Master, unlimited tonnage, near-coastal trading area, STCW
Convention regulation II/2
To qualify for the issue of this Certificate of Competency you must meet the following
requirements:
(a) Hold a valid Chief Mate unlimited GT, near-coastal, II/2, Certificate of Competency or a
Chief Mate unlimited, II/2, Certificate of Competency;
(b) Have completed 36 months’ watchkeeping service including at least 18 months’ watchkeeping service performed holding a Chief Mate unlimited GT, near-coastal, II/2,
Certificate of Competency or a Chief Mate unlimited, II/2, Certificate of Competency.
This may be reduced to 24 months’ watchkeeping service if at least 12 months’ watchkeeping service was carried out in the capacity of Chief Mate while holding a
Chief Mate unlimited GT, near-coastal, II/2, Certificate of Competency or Chief Mate
unlimited, II/2, Certificate of Competency;
© Hold the applicable ancillary and safety course certificates listed in section 10;
(d) Hold a valid ENG1 (medical fitness certificate) or accepted equivalent;
5 Holders of a Master less than 500 GT, near-coastal trading area, regulation II/3 Certificate of
Competency are eligible to apply for this Certificate. They must first complete additional academic units
required to meet the standard for an OOW unlimited, regulation II/1 standard.

• 8 -
    (e) Pass MCA oral examination ‘G’ (for the syllabus see MGN 69 or any subsequent
    publication).

Many Thanks

Andrew