Looking to sail

At one point a while back, I have considered to work as a OS. Things happen and I had to put that on hold,

A friend of mine was a AB for Crowley and have recently try to talk me into sailing. Unfortunately I have no experience, but I know that is what the OS is for. I spent the last 8 years working in aviation, and from my stand point, my career is not going to go further than it already is, especially the pay. My friend tells me that I would be a valuable person since I have over 8 years experience in handling fuel, but I do not see what I can do, or what part of the industry I should start or who would take me.

I currently do not hold a MMC or a TWIC, but I know that I can get a TWIC since I already carry a SIDA (for airports)

My current problem is that I am overweight, I used to be heavier (355) and I have already dropped down to 310, and still working on it, but slowly. My friend assures me that I will be all right, but I am worried about some of those tight spaces that I may have to go into. That is my biggest issue is my weight, and would I be all right?

You need to be able to pass a USCG physical. BMI is part of passing that physical. If you are 5’0" you won’t make it. If you are 6’6" you might be ok. I believe the limit is 40. Check on the National Maritime Center website. You can read a little more about it on this forum. http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/5379-body-mass-index-bmi-united-states-coast-guard.html

A guy with a BMI over 40 can pass. There is no BMI cutoff. If BMI is over 40, the guy is subjected to more demonstrations of physical agility, reducing the likelihood of passing.

I would hire a beginning OS who is 6’ 4", 355 lbs, strong,reasonably agile, and an enthusiastic worker with a good personality , especially if he is a good cook. However, I would not hire a fat ass OS that is not strong and agile.

A skillful and experienced captain can be 5’ tall and 5’ in diameter, but not an OS.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I am 6’1 at 310 ish. But I am working on loosing this weight… slowly. So as of right now my bmi is a hair above 40.

I currently believe that I can do the work that is required, because the majority of it is part of my job, and that is including climbing, walking, and even dragging hoses up to 3" and over 50’ and usually full of fuel. I’ve even started to exercise regularly, but mostly just walking, but hey whatever works.

Looking at the USGS site, it looks like as an OS or Wiper, all that the doc has to sign off is that I am able to perform the task at hand that is listed and from what I read. On the 719K/E form, I do not see that I should do any additional test, but then again, it is entry level.

But I will do whatever it takes to get my MMD, I am currently working on loosing the weight, so that is one step.

You didn’t say how old you are. It matters more than it should, but I have seen 60 year old guys as OS. You should go for it. Go get your TWIC and MMC. Then use your contacts and look for a starter job.

I’ve just turned 30. I’ve talked to my friend today and he suggested that I should join the SIU. I might look into that once I get my mmc.

[QUOTE=proxima;166759]I’ve just turned 30. I’ve talked to my friend today and he suggested that I should join the SIU. I might look into that once I get my mmc.[/QUOTE]

If you had your MMC and TWIC in hand right now, you would have a. 50/50 chance of being employed tomorrow.

Your experience in handling fuel… What I think, now I could be wrong, but I believe that he is referring to possibly becoming a tanker man. I have seen where they have tankerman apprentices (shoreside). Like I said, I could be wrong… I’m in the OSV side of the mariner world so I don’t know much about that… The tug guys on here would be able to inform you better on that subject…

You know fuel and want to get into the industry? Try one of the fuel delivery outfits in Western Alaska. Delta Western, Crowley, Vitus Marine.

I did not think of that. I think my friend mentioned that I should work for a fueling outfit, but that was years ago and forgot about it. I will start knocking on some doors once I get my Z-Card.

It is not much but better than nothing. I do have an appointment set up to get my TWIC. I did try to get my DOT physical today, but the examiner failed me because she want me to do a sleep study and to jump through some other hoops. I will set up for another physical for the 719 K/E.

Again thanks for the replies!

don’t mention the sleep study talk to whoever does the 719…

Did my physical today, and the doc was actually cool, and passed with flying colors other than the weight.

[QUOTE=proxima;166934]Did my physical today, and the doc was actually cool, and passed with flying colors other than the weight.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I just took my DOT 5 Panel today. My plan is to get every thing in place for submission to a REC by month end.

I got STCW BST, and MSA, in December too! I can’t wait to put in my two-weeks notice.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;166938]Awesome! I just took my DOT 5 Panel today. My plan is to get every thing in place for submission to a REC by month end.

I got STCW BST, and MSA, in December too! I can’t wait to put in my two-weeks notice.[/QUOTE]

I did my TWIC, Physical, and 5 panel today, now I just need to drive up to Charleston and submit my packet for my MMC. I am also with you, I also can’t wait to submit my 2 weeks notice. Once I get my Z-Card in hand I might go around and start knocking on some doors. My friend tells me that my experience working with fuel will be valuable, but unfortunately I do not have any seagoing experience. At this point I will take what I can get and learn what I can and try to loose this weight while I am at it.

“now I just need to drive up to Charleston and submit my packet for my MMC”

It’s just as fast to send your application via Fax to the REC. Just make sure you include a copy of your application cost receipt, your application, physical, driver’s licence ect.

I did not think of that, heck I might just mail it. The fax machines where I work at barely works. If I submit by mail or e-mail, how would I do the oath? It says that I need to do it in front of a CG official or could I get someone else to do the oath? (i.e. retired admiral, or a state official)

[QUOTE=proxima;166951]I did not think of that, heck I might just mail it. The fax machines where I work at barely works. If I submit by mail or e-mail, how would I do the oath? It says that I need to do it in front of a CG official or could I get someone else to do the oath? (i.e. retired admiral, or a state official)[/QUOTE]

You can take Oath with a notary. I would just go to your bank and ask. Make a form for you, and them, to sign. There should be an example in the application packet.

“The fax machines where I work at barely works. If I submit by mail or e-mail”

I always fax the USCG through UPS because, I like to get a receipt(evidence that you can hold in your hand) that they got my application. That’s just me though

I will do that then, I will do my Oath tonight, a friend of mine is a notary, so I don’t have to wait when I have a day off to go to a bank since they are closed when I get off of work.

Everything on my list is now checked off!

Now the other question that I have is once I get my Z-Card, what will be the best approach to get my first job? Should I travel around and knock on some doors, apply for positions online, or just go through a union hall?

I know that once I get my z-card, I will be ready to go!

Apply online to as many places as you can , unlikely you’ll get a callback but, it doesn’t cost you anything but a little bit of time and, it’s worth it. I got my first job via online application. But I was also knocking on doors at the same time. Knocking on doors can be very expensive and, very taxing mentally. Just keep your head up. Expect to have a lot of turn downs but, go to every potential interview putting your best foot forward, don’t let the last job downturn effect your current interview. Expect to pound the pavement for at least a week knowing full well all that weeks effort might not lead to a job. But everyplace you apply to your one step closer to getting a job. Hunt it like a starving dog going for someone else’s food.