Body Mass Index (BMI) for USCG Physical?

Hello fellow Mariners. I am coming up on a physical for the Coast Guard and I heard about that they want to know your Body Mass Index or BMI, and that they want your BMI under 40. I also heard that if it is not, they may issue the individual mariner a work test and maybe a sleep apnea test, is this true? I’m around 39-40 BMI right now, but stay in shape by walking daily and lifting weights 3 times a week.

So, has anyone out there had an issue with this or know someone who has? Please expalin what happened and what the process is if your BMI is over 40.

Thanks!

Sailorman1981

I am renewing with a consultant. When he saw the weight on the company physical he informed that I would need to drop xx lbs to AVOID the scrutiny that yer mentioning. I have dutifully taken the weight off to get it under the magic number to avoid the scrutiny altogether

A colleague renewing who WAS over the magic number was required to do a Sleep Study (which DID diagnose OSA) and he had to another test that was sleep related that required him to stay awake for extended periods of time. Somnolence test may be?

Good luck

Awww Geez, Now they want to take away our Chips Ahoy Cookies! What’s Next?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1028[/ATTACH]

I just did my physical for renewal on the 7th of this month, I was well below the 40 BMI, On the CG physical form, it states that an agility test is required, donning a survival suit, being able to transit a 48" x 48" access way, it was also up to the physician to determine if you were fit for duty or not. I also lost 30 pounds in the last year and feel a lot better, I look a it this way, lose weight or go on unemployment, I chose to lose weight. The company I work for has an in house license renewal service, they went through all my documents this afternoon, told me I didn’t have a problem and I should recieve my chief’s renewal in a month.

:DIn February 2010 i was at a 44 BMI and weighed 370lbs now 7/12/2010 i weigh
299 and weigh in on wednesday;my currently BMI is 35…I am 6’5" tall. It’s called hard work and determination when your young like me (53) If thats what their saying they will do it because they don’t really care about the Merchant Marine. Most of the Coastguard people i’ve seen barely have enough drive to get out of their bunk…but they can get to the galley in the middle of a sleep walk. I was just talking about the run of the mill USCG the swimmers and i’ve used to drink with an operations officer in New Bedford and they are all together different.

:cool:have a great day:cool:

At first I thought the random drug test was intrusive. The thought that they can test for ‘past’ use via a urine test smacks of: “Hey, I’m on my time off, what business is it of theirs?” But it HAS eliminbated almost all of the recreational drug users, and all the alcohol use aboard. So it DID have an effect on the quality of mariners.

Then the USCG found a way to get into our personal lives, (post accident of course) via issues like marital harmony, financial stress, and prescription drug use. If you doubt this, ask a USCG inspector next time you see them! This is what the ‘voluntary suspension’ clause is used for; to give you time to have ‘therapy’ to fix your issues! Like marraige, financial, and drug treatment! Once completed you can ‘apply’ to get your license back!

Since the S.I. ferry crash they are looking at BMI, and sleep deprivation. I guess they couldn’t do anything with CEMS, so they’re going to do it this way (BMI).

The answer is an 8 page annual physical, with way more questions than necessary, and this will make a ‘defacto’ way of thinning the ranks of us older guys, who traditionally used to be secure in our jobs until WE were ready to go, now it is up to US to keep in shape to keep our jobs!

I like how they expect us to list all medications - INCLUDING over the counter vitamins?? Cmon folks, what do you care if I take a Centrum or a bunch of Vitamin C when I’m sick?

Body mass Index is best to us and increase our mass so take this every day…
Acai Max Cleanse

[QUOTE=New3M;39478] Cmon folks, what do you care if I take a Centrum or a bunch of Vitamin C when I’m sick?[/QUOTE]

Call me cynical but I don’t think they care about it at all. They do care about having a document signed by you that can be used to hang you if anything ever happens in the future that might in some way be linked to that dose of vitamin C you didn’t report. Very few people are hung for whatever attracted the Fed’s attention, many are hung for making “false statements” … except for politicians and government officials of course.

So if something happens I’d better chuck my vitamins over the side before the inspector shows up? That way they’ll never know…

Just another example of more government control over our lives. Like Cappy stated above, the whiz quizes were an invasion (well intentioned, of course) of our privacy. fouth amendment of the Constitution against unreasonable search and ceasure. Disclosing over the counter meds and vitamins, marital or financial difficulties could also fall under that provision or the fifth, the right not to self incriminate.
I have a CDL in addition to my maritime license and the truckers are going through the same horsehockey. The physicals and the forms are almost the same, and don’t forget the price, but of course they are not accepted by the other agency.

[QUOTE=New3M;39663]So if something happens I’d better chuck my vitamins over the side before the inspector shows up? That way they’ll never know…[/QUOTE]

They had better not be in a plastic bottle!

[QUOTE=Steamer;39682]They had better not be in a plastic bottle![/QUOTE]

Nah I keep them in one of them new Sun Chips bags…compostable!

[QUOTE=New3M;39778]Nah I keep them in one of them new Sun Chips bags…compostable![/QUOTE]

25.8 BMI
Coast Guard says I’m overweight …5’10" 181 pounds according to the chart
and I work out every day, mostly. What the hell is that? I can see my damn ribs!!

[QUOTE=anchorman;39821]25.8 BMI
Coast Guard says I’m overweight …5’10" 181 pounds according to the chart
and I work out every day, mostly. What the hell is that? I can see my damn ribs!![/QUOTE]

It sounds like whoever told you that is using the CG standard for their own members, not the merchant mariner’s standard. If you look up your height and weight on one of those online BMI calculators it probably will show you as overweight.

The operative wording on the CG physical form is:

[I]If the examining medical practitioner doubts the applicant’s ability to meet the guidelines contained within this table, and for all applicants with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40.0 or higher, the practitioner shall require that the applicant demonstrate the ability to meet the guidelines. This does not mean, for example, that the applicant must actually don an exposure suit, pull an uncharged 1.5 inch diameter 50’ fire hose with nozzle to full extension, or lift a charged 1.5 inch diameter fire hose to fire fighting position. Rather, the medical practitioner may utilize alternative measures to satisfy himself or herself that the applicant possesses the ability to meet the guidelines in the third column. A description of the methods utilized by the medical practitioner should be reported in Section IX.[/I]

Not that it is safe to take what the CG means as having any relationship to what they put in writing, but I read the above as saying that a BMI over 40 just triggers a requirement for the doctor to witness the poor bugger lift and drag heavy things or crawl through culverts or something equally distasteful. They don’t say that anything above 40 is disqualifying, just that you have to show you can waddle through some exhibition of your mobility.

[QUOTE=Steamer;39830]It sounds like whoever told you that is using the CG standard for their own members, not the merchant mariner’s standard. If you look up your height and weight on one of those online BMI calculators it probably will show you as overweight.

The operative wording on the CG physical form is:

[I]If the examining medical practitioner doubts the applicant’s ability to meet the guidelines contained within this table, and for all applicants with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40.0 or higher, the practitioner shall require that the applicant demonstrate the ability to meet the guidelines. This does not mean, for example, that the applicant must actually don an exposure suit, pull an uncharged 1.5 inch diameter 50’ fire hose with nozzle to full extension, or lift a charged 1.5 inch diameter fire hose to fire fighting position. Rather, the medical practitioner may utilize alternative measures to satisfy himself or herself that the applicant possesses the ability to meet the guidelines in the third column. A description of the methods utilized by the medical practitioner should be reported in Section IX.[/I]

Not that it is safe to take what the CG means as having any relationship to what they put in writing, but I read the above as saying that a BMI over 40 just triggers a requirement for the doctor to witness the poor bugger lift and drag heavy things or crawl through culverts or something equally distasteful. They don’t say that anything above 40 is disqualifying, just that you have to show you can waddle through some exhibition of your mobility.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed. In my effort to support gCaptain, and linking with the google ad from the ^^above^^ banner, to a BMI calculator, I was not that serious in my effort to read regulations on a Friday evening. The USCG did chose to use the same BMI system, but decided were to draw the line of their own accord. You are right. I have many friends that are dealing with those issues and are being required to crawl, drag, and pull very similar to what’s required going through a pre-hire at the Fontana Center.

If you do a search on BMI i think you will find some interesting reading on here.

It is right here in black and white though. they are even tighter on truck drivers. no more than 33 1/2% now to drive a truck.

but again it comes down to the doctor doing the physical. if he has been knowing you all your life if your vitals are good he is gonna sign off on you.

He or she can shave a few pounds chalking them up to clothes and boots but after that they can not lie for you so if your bmi is over 40 and your doc signs off on you that is no guarentee that your app wont get held up in medical.
i think i saw a post on here where the cg made a fella get a sleep study.

I was a little over the 33 1/2% for my last cdl physical. but the female doctor (late 50’s) had her hands all over me and was telling me how big my muscles were. she let me slide because of muscle mass but if i had a double chin and man tits and was huffing and puffing she would have flunked me.

if the doc signs off on you for a cdl that it is. no questions asked unless you get into an accident and the lawyers get a look at the “long form” physical.

for a cg physical the doc signs off but then it has to make it past uscg wv.

my wife uses phenterimine. prescription speed. man can she clean house when she is on that stuff. i can’t stand to be around her.
She lost over 100 pounds after the 3rd pregnancy. I used it also. it does work. she even had high blood pressure and was allowed to take it under doctor’s supervision.

that is the easy option. I would exercise more when i got a chance but i have some disabilities that interfere with high impact exercise. I have to just eat less. the phenterimine helps with the hunger.

We all will do what we gotta do to keep whatever license we have. Or i guess you can try to make it on disability and tell uncle sam you are too fat to hold down a job. face it 40% bmi is obese. not to say there are not exceptions to the rule. but i have not worked with too many hulk hogan types out here. most are “homer simpson” types.

I recommend as i have before to go to a cdl physical office at a truck stop. they will whisk you on through and not even know what they are signing. You will get a cdl physical to go with it.

then you take your chances with wv from there.

good luck

Thanks for all the useful info fellow mariners. Last summer, I was working with a trainer and I was weighing in at 340 (5’11") and she gave me a BMI of 40, because I am an ex-power lifter. So, my muscle mass was a lot more than some guy that doesn’t workout. My weight is now much lower, but according to the CG BMI chart I am well above 40. I have been doing research and I am going to do a dunk tank BMI measurment. What they do is put you in a tank of water and see how much you displace, much like how they figure tonnage on a vessel. This is the most accurate way to mearsure a BMI and It will be done by a PH.d at the University I am an alumni at, so I am hoping they will see this and say oh ok, he’s good to go! But, we are dealing with the USCG here. We’ll see. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Other notes: I’ve rejoined the gym and take walks every night with my family. Also, all the goodies went out the door and the good healthy stuff came in. I’ve lost almost 20lbs this summer.

Please keep sharing your info and stories to help other prepare if they are going to renew their License(s) and need to lose the weight!

For those looking for the chart…

This BMI is BS as it doen’t take into account muscle AND it’s rigged against older folk because as we get older we also get fatter and shorter!!