Am I too fat and old

Hey there guys! I’ve been looking, but can’t find it. Are there age and weight limitations to be in the SIU? I’m in phase 2 of my application and I don’t want to be paying out all the money for TWIC and MMC cards if I’m jsut going to be told that I’m too fat or old. I weight 350lbs and I’m 41. I’m an ex powerlifter so a lot of my weight comes from that. Of course I have no problems lifting 50+ pounds or climbing ladders, but I know how everyone still goes by the BMI charts rolleyes
I.m making a career chance and this is something I’ve always wanted to do!
Thanks fellas!

Too old? No. I have seen SIU guys come out in thier 60’s as a second career lately. As far overweight? I cant speak for SIU, but I believe if your BMI is over a certain percentage you have to do a few more “tricks” during your CG physical. Meaning you have to crawl under a limbo stick and jump over it or something. They want to make sure meet the physical requirements needed at sea.

Why is it taking so long for my post to show up!?

Two years ago at my physical the Doc told me if a man has a BMI over 40, the mariner is then required to PROVE he doesn’t have Sleep Apnea to the USCG. i.e.; the candidate pays for a sleep-study ($1000?) and passes on the results to the USCG.

It’s illegal to discriminate against anyone under age 70 based on age in the United States. This point was borne out when SIU was sued some years ago for age discrimination. They lost, and I’m sure they’re probably over-compensating these days. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Smith71;96529]Hey there guys! I’ve been looking, but can’t find it. Are there age and weight limitations to be in the SIU? I’m in phase 2 of my application and I don’t want to be paying out all the money for TWIC and MMC cards if I’m jsut going to be told that I’m too fat or old. I weight 350lbs and I’m 41. I’m an ex powerlifter so a lot of my weight comes from that. Of course I have no problems lifting 50+ pounds or climbing ladders, but I know how everyone still goes by the BMI charts rolleyes
I.m making a career chance and this is something I’ve always wanted to do!
Thanks fellas![/QUOTE]

A high BMI is not disqualifying, but if its over 40, your doctor will need to give an opinion that you are able to perform certain physical tasks ( they are described on the Coast Guard merchant mariner physical exam form). In the recent past the NMC also wanted a sleep study to determine if you have obstructive sleep apnea, but they have stopped that and now will only ask for it if your doctor diagnoses sleep apnea.

I made a post 2 days ago, in response to jdcavo’s post and it’s still not posted! Why is this taking so long!?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;96597]A high BMI is not disqualifying, but if its over 40, your doctor will need to give an opinion that you are able to perform certain physical tasks ( they are described on the Coast Guard merchant mariner physical exam form). In the recent past the NMC also wanted a sleep study to determine if you have obstructive sleep apnea, but they have stopped that and now will only ask for it if your doctor diagnoses sleep apnea.[/QUOTE]

Well I’m not sure what happened to my follow up post to you, but anyhow…

I do have Sleep Apnea. What’s going to happen now? Do I get kicked from the program now and just kiss all this money that I just shelled out for dentist and doctor visits, physicals and tests, and TWIC/MMD cards!?

There are plenty of merchant seaman from OS to Captain that have sleep apnea, just make sure you properly document it on your physical. I would guess the USCG will probably just want to make sure you are successfully treating it through CPAP type machine or surgery.

[QUOTE=btm;97243]There are plenty of merchant seaman from OS to Captain that have sleep apnea, just make sure you properly document it on your physical. I would guess the USCG will probably just want to make sure you are successfully treating it through CPAP type machine or surgery.[/QUOTE]

I’m doing neither. I can’t stand the restrictiveness of the CPAP and I can’t afford the surgery. Maybe after a few tours with the MM, where I can build some bank, then I’ll be able to afford the surgery. :wink:

I just don’t want to be spinning my wheels here, but more importantly, I don’t want to spend $1000"s for cards and evaluations that I don’t really need. Heck! I just had $1000 in dental bills this week alone because of the B.S. cavity disqualifier! Believe me, money I don’t have right now! I feel as if I’m paying to work for them.

I don’t mean to rant, but this is something that I’ve always thought about doing, and now I’m making the move so the last thing I want to hear is NO… especially after shelling out all that cheese! :wink:

First… Slow down and take a deep breathe. I’ve been doing this over 20 years. It’s the best job I could ever imagine having for me. Never laid off, never fired, no spills, and there’s always been work out there for this AB/Tankship-PIC. You will get what you want but you may have to jump through a hoop or two. Never, Never, Never, Give Up.
You don’t have any issues that can’t be work with. Guys on the ships and tugs have CPAP machines. If it doesn’t work for you, see your dentist. I know two men that had a thing called a “Snore-guard”. It was a mouth piece they placed in their mouth when they slept that pushed the lower jaw forward enough to clear the airway enough to get good sleep. They both said it worked but was expensive. As I recall, I think they said $500 to $700.00.
Another option is Inland. Tugs pushing barges up and down the Mississippi. (i.e.; ACBL, Ingraham, ADP, etc.) You do not need to have any USCG documents at all, it’s an unlicensed, un-credentialed position for deckhands, engineers and cooks. The nicest part about inland is that you gain experience toward an domestic AB even when your not credentialed. So after acquiring the sea-time, perhaps you’ve lost weight or saved the money to get done what you need. On a sidebar, this is a great place for people with no experience to get started. It’s tough, back-breaking work compared to other positions in our industry, but YOU CAN GET STARTED THERE. Since about 2008, I’ve noticed companies and Union’s shying away from Ordinary Seamen and going with AB’s and if you want to work, get sea time, and work toward your goals, this might be for you.
This is a fantastic industry and job. I wouldn’t want to do anything else. Good Luck!

The SIU is bleeding my bank account dry with this application process. I just paid $1000 for deep cleaning at the dentist and now another $900 for 3 damn cavities. On top of that, the cost of a physical ($600) and communicable diseases lab ($400) and drug test($80). I still need to pay out for the TWIC and MMC cards. Then when I get to Piney Point Ma, I shell out another $500 for uniforms and $300 for some bank account I “NEED” to have. Oh and lets not forget the cost for the flight to MA, $300-/+. That’s a lot of hoops to jump through. Now… if I fail this BMI or Apnea evaluation, what then!?

Then on top of all that, I have my bills and I take care of my mother’s medical bills as well. Since training is a year, by the time I’m done with all this, my bank account will be zero, my credit will be destroyed. It’s a lot to contend with.

EDIT: I did find a brand new CPAP machine on Craigslist. I wonder if I just tell them I have Sleep Apnea and that I have my own machine, if I have to deal with the B.S.!?

[QUOTE=Smith71;97242]Well I’m not sure what happened to my follow up post to you, but anyhow…

I do have Sleep Apnea. What’s going to happen now? Do I get kicked from the program now and just kiss all this money that I just shelled out for dentist and doctor visits, physicals and tests, and TWIC/MMD cards!?[/QUOTE]

Is it OBSTRUCTIVE sleep apnea? If so, be prepared to show some evidence from a doctor of controlling it by regular use of a CPAP. Buying one on craigslist probably won’t be sufficient.

Good news: 41 is not too old to start out.

Bad news: 350 lbs is way way too fat (especially for someone with no seagoing skills, experience, or contacts in the industry), at least it will be perceived that way by virtually all employers and their doctors.

Just because the USCG doctors may pass you, that does not mean that you can pass a company or union pre-employment physical. The union will be glad to take your money while they laugh all the way to the bank, but they won’t do much for you.

More bad news: It has become expensive and time consuming to become (or advance) as a mariner. In short, it takes money upfront to have a chance at making money.

NICE! So I’m wasting my time in other words!?

No, it simply means you should take the next year (and the rest of your life) to better improve your health then try again. Losing 2 poumds a week for 52 weeks would greatly help in all parts of life. An AB/Os position is a very physical position, and companies take that into consideration.

Sorry if I was a little too frank. You already understand that your weight and BMI are going to ring a lot of alarm bells. Your weight implies blood pressure,cholesterol, and arterial blockage issues. You need to get advice from a doctor — whether you decide to pursue going to sea or not.

You might want to start with one of the occupational medicine clinics near your home that does pre-employment physicals AND strength and agility tests (This should be about $500). Then see what they say. If you can find a nearby clinic that also does physical therapy and sports medicine with a full time doctor on staff that would be even better. You probably already know that they are going to recommend a stress ekg, blood labs, chest xray, and various other tests.

You definitely know that they are going tell you to lose weight and exercise (if your heart is healthy enough). The easiest way to pass the USCG medical review and pre-employment physicals is simple — lose weight. If you are healthy enough to exercise, you should be able to lose 50 pounds in a couple months.

I suspect that your USCG medical review will take at least a couple months. USCG physicals are good for five years. The USCG doctors will be worried that you might become 500 lbs and have a heart attack during the next five years. I think that you can improve your chances significantly if you can show that you are on a medically supervised diet and exercise plan and that you are making reasonable weight loss progress with improving blood labs.

Most maritime employers are reluctant to hire anyone who is not in pretty good shape.

If you are really committed you can probably get back into shape and find a maritime job. Good luck.

Thanks for the followup posts guys! Yeah I need to lose a good 100lbs of fat, but one thing you’re missing from my original post is that I was a powerlifter for over 15 years. I was benching over 500lbs and leg pressing over 2200lbs. Here’s the thing, my lean body weight (zero fat) is over 240lbs… that is still OVER the BMI…! I’ll always be over the BMI index!

The problem with the BMI index is an antiquated measurements, which was created by Adolphe Quetelet in the 1800. It doesn’t take into account for lean body mass at all.

Now granted, I don’t press 500lbs anymore and I have some good lard on me, but as for health - heart, LDL, HDL, BP, etc, I am perfect. I’m not fat because I eat cake and ice cream, I’m fat because to maintain my kind of mass, I was eating -8000-10,000 cal a day and over time, when you don’t work out as much, you star becoming a fatbody lol…

I’m getting on the HCG diet so that should greatly help.

See www.fitnesswave.com and www.quickmedical.com/health.../measuring_bodyfat_via_dexa.html

[QUOTE=Smith71;97706]Thanks for the followup posts guys! Yeah I need to lose a good 100lbs of fat, but one thing you’re missing from my original post is that I was a powerlifter for over 15 years. I was benching over 500lbs and leg pressing over 2200lbs. Here’s the thing, my lean body weight (zero fat) is over 240lbs… that is still OVER the BMI…! I’ll always be over the BMI index!

The problem with the BMI index is an antiquated measurements, which was created by Adolphe Quetelet in the 1800. It doesn’t take into account for lean body mass at all.

Now granted, I don’t press 500lbs anymore and I have some good lard on me, but as for health - heart, LDL, HDL, BP, etc, I am perfect. I’m not fat because I eat cake and ice cream, I’m fat because to maintain my kind of mass, I was eating -8000-10,000 cal a day and over time, when you don’t work out as much, you star becoming a fatbody lol…

I’m getting on the HCG diet so that should greatly help.[/QUOTE]

A high BMI doesn’t disqualify you, you only need to demonstrate to or convince the doctor you can perform the physical agilioty/strength demonstration. If you are fit as you say, this is not a problem. Obstructive sleep apnea is a problem. If it is untreated, you probably will not get through the Coast Guard medical fitness review.