SIU says i can't join

Hey everyone…i called the SIU Norfolk hall and tried to find out info for joining. The lady asked about my experience, training etc…i told her i was experienced AB but never shipped union. She asked if i took SIU apprentice program, and i told her i did not. She than told me i was not eligible to join ! Is this correct? Any help is appreciated

Maybe the rules have changed ?? but i know of a few guys that joined SIU without doing the PP UA program

Im going to call Baltimore hall tomorrow and see what they say

Sounds like the same song and dance I got from SIU seventeen years ago. Best bet: go to the hall and ask for the physical and drug test paperwork, then get it yourself. Register and take anything off the all ports board if there is anything (OS, wiper or steward). That’s how I did it. The cruise ship in Hawaii had OS jobs back then. Also the government contract ships. Of course this was years ago so maybe they’ve slammed the do-it-yourself door shut by now. Good luck.

I stopped by the wilmington hall, inquired about joining and I was told I would have to submit a basic training refresher to join…even though my stcw doesn’t expire for another 3 years. That along with the 500 odd dollars physical to join with no guarantee of work made me pass for the time being.

Take this as an omen not to join and save yourself some time and money.

Yes maybe wait for MSC to hire again. I would call the SUP headquarters with your experience and ask
to ship Chevron or Military. You maybe make one pilgrimage to the hall and then get a phone call dispatch.
The website is misleading; telephone dispatch is the norm. It is how David Connolly plays god.

Ok sounds good. I’ve been looking at MSC but you’re right, there website never has openings except for C/M and Engineers.

[QUOTE=Ctony;188422]I was told I would have to submit a basic training refresher to join…even though my stcw doesn’t expire for another 3 years.[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard that some foreign port state control agencies want to see a valid course certificate within 5 years, regardless of the USCG BS policy of “is required to get the MMC so having an MMC is proof of currency.” The same issue that was happening with the physical before they issued medical cards.

Call Nflk and ask to speak to George Kenney, he’s the Agent. Don’t call until you have the VPDSD endorsement on your MMD.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;188431]I’ve heard that some foreign port state control agencies want to see a valid course certificate within 5 years, regardless of the USCG BS policy of “is required to get the MMC so having an MMC is proof of currency.” The same issue that was happening with the physical before they issued medical cards.[/QUOTE]

You are required to show all you STCW certificates to Port State Control, if they want to see them. I can see where an employer or union might require that you have six months or a year of validity left on your passport, MMC, STCW certificates, Vaccination Certificate, etc. So they don’t hire you and a few months have a problem with expired documents. This might be another good reason to renew a little early.

In spite of what the USCG says, “its not needed yet”, this Port State Control issue is why I will do the BT Refresher course someplace warm in January. I don’t want my opportunities limited, or to encounter unnecessary problems in foreign countries.

I cannot understand why any company or union would require a BT Refresher for a certificate that is still good for two years. I doubt that. You know two things about staff that answers the phone at any union: they very likely may not know what they are talking about; and they are probably crooked. Make sure you are talking to the right person that knows what he is talking about, preferably speak to him in person. Ask to see the written rules for what is required.

I stopped in at the NY/NJ ball back this spring and was told I just needed BST and $1000 bucks. No need for Piney Point though.