Fat guys sailing

I am planning to try to obtain my MMD again (USCG DQ’ed last time due to my drug test since it was not on their approved sites list, closest one from my house turned out to be 50+ miles from house at the time) I have my TWIC in hand, and still trying to loose some weight. I started at 400lbs and got down to 350, and still a long way to go. I am curious on how many overweight guys are sailing these days? I am just worried that I might fail my physical due to my weight for my AB. My friend assures me that I will be all right and not to worry, he tells me that he seen larger people in the industry that’s larger than me.

Over BMI of 40 it’s the physicians discretion whether or not you’re capable of doing the listed tasks. Either way keep up the good work dropping pounds.

[QUOTE=proxima;188014]I am planning to try to obtain my MMD again (USCG DQ’ed last time due to my drug test since it was not on their approved sites list, closest one from my house turned out to be 50+ miles from house at the time) I have my TWIC in hand, and still trying to loose some weight. I started at 400lbs and got down to 350, and still a long way to go. I am curious on how many overweight guys are sailing these days? I am just worried that I might fail my physical due to my weight for my AB. My friend assures me that I will be all right and not to worry, he tells me that he seen larger people in the industry that’s larger than me.[/QUOTE]

We need to hang out. . . I can be the “skinny” one. . . .

It has been awhile, but good to see you back at it, Proxima. Make sure you double check to make sure the medical facility meets the requirements for the drug test.
Requirements for Drug Test:
-DOT 5 Panel Test - Testing ONLY for Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, Phencyclidine, and Amphetamines
-Laboratory the specimen is sent to is accredited by SAMHSA
-Results will be signed by a Certified Medical Review Officer(MRO)

I have no intention to steer you to a different facility since you have one in mind, but when I did my drug test last year for my entry-level MMC I just went to the CareSpot in Mandarin.

[QUOTE=proxima;188014]I am planning to try to obtain my MMD again (USCG DQ’ed last time due to my drug test since it was not on their approved sites list, closest one from my house turned out to be 50+ miles from house at the time) I have my TWIC in hand, and still trying to loose some weight. I started at 400lbs and got down to 350, and still a long way to go. I am curious on how many overweight guys are sailing these days? I am just worried that I might fail my physical due to my weight for my AB. My friend assures me that I will be all right and not to worry, he tells me that he seen larger people in the industry that’s larger than me.[/QUOTE]

Go see a doctor that does USCG physicals today , take the physical and see where you stand. If you fail, don’t send that physical to the USCG. Work on what ever problems you have and try again. There is a lot of anti-fat bias in industry hiring, but there are also plenty of big boys out here.

I actually went to a CareSpot for my testing last July, I did both my physical and DT there, but the USCG told me that they can’t accept it. The doc was a former USCG guy, and we’ve talked for about 45 minutes, just BS’ing. I worked at an airport at the time, and I can easily do everything listed. I should have got back to it sooner, but I wanted to focus on loosing the weight, and travel the country a bit.

Now I am walking no less than 2 miles a day, and if I can cut out bread and a lot of my sodium intake, I will be on my way. Thankfully I do not drink that much soda, so that helps.

I thought that due to Fall Protection gear limitations you’d max out at 285 lbs. You may pass the physical but some companies may not hire you. Even MSC is terminates BMs, ABs and OSs who weigh over 280…and they generally hire anyone. Even those with disabilities.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;188217]I thought that due to Fall Protection gear limitations you’d max out at 285 lbs. You may pass the physical but some companies may not hire you. Even MSC is terminates BMs, ABs and OSs who weigh over 280…and they generally hire anyone. Even those with disabilities.[/QUOTE]

Standard Fall protection harness’ have user weight limits of >130lbs/<310lbs.
MSC sets their upper weight limit for OS, AB, Chief/1st/2nd Radio Tech, Chief/1st/2nd Electrician and Electronics Tech, at [U]295lbs [/U]body weight. No policy has been set for persons >130lb. In lieu of termination, I have witnessed folks >295lbs being moved into the SU rating.

Thanks for the information guys, my goal is to drop another 100lbs, so it should put me around 250lbs. If I keep up what I am doing, it should not be a problem in a few months.