Looking to sail

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;166782]Your experience in handling fuel… What I think, now I could be wrong, but I believe that he is referring to possibly becoming a tanker man. I have seen where they have tankerman apprentices (shoreside). Like I said, I could be wrong… I’m in the OSV side of the mariner world so I don’t know much about that… The tug guys on here would be able to inform you better on that subject…[/QUOTE]
Lots of guys at Vane Brothers tanking that worked in a gas station before going on the tugs and barges. Well, that and crabbin’.

Thank You! I have already submitted for my MMC, and hopefully I can take the next step soon, and hopefully loose some more of this weight in between… (Fast food is so convenient!lol)

Should I start submitting applications right after I put in for my MMC, or should I wait until I get my Z-Card?

Also any other online job board or resources to research various companies? I am willing to make the move to get a job to start my career!

I think Vane Bros employs every able bodied man on Tangier Island (that can pass a drug test!).

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;167062]I think Vane Bros employs every able bodied man on Tangier Island (that can pass a drug test!).[/QUOTE]
Roger that. They didn’t name a boat Tangier Island for nothing.

People from Tangier are good people… if you take the time to get to know them.

Some are some aren’t.

[QUOTE=Saltgrain;167073]People from Tangier are good people… if you take the time to get to know them.[/QUOTE]
For the record, I did not aim to be critical of those Tangier Islanders.
What Vane is doing is very similar to what Interstate (IOT) did several generations ago by crewing their tugs and barges with sailors from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Matthews County, Virginia as well as Tangier and Bloodsworth Islanders.
They were reliable, sober and hard working. Exactly what the Hooper brothers wanted.

Good folks, all. Meant a few who aren’t quite sober anymore, but all of em are throwbacks to another, simpler time and I enjoyed working with them.

Yeah, like I said I wouldn’t know anything about that… I’m on the OSV side of things and hope to stay that way. I tip my hat to ALL of you tug boat guys cause I couldn’t do it… Although I have debated on trying to get on an inland barge before, I’m happy on my big ole, slow ass, Cadillac…

I guess that’s true of people in general.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;167081]Good folks, all. Meant a few who aren’t quite sober anymore, but all of em are throwbacks to another, simpler time and I enjoyed working with them.[/QUOTE]
It was a different culture at Interstate. Some fine boatmen and boat handlers.
I sailed with Mercy, Billy Bloodsworth, Buster and Raymond Westcott when I was decking for Sonat and then Maritrans through the SIU hall.
Loved almost every minute of it too.

Thanks for the information guys! At least I sort of know where to look.

Go and make an INDEED account and look on there also. I have seen quite a few mariner jobs on there as well… Best of luck to you. Hope all goes well!

Well, just logged onto my indeed and saw where yesterday morning Settoon Towing is looking for a Deckhand/Tankerman. Does not say on there about needing a license so I would look into that now! Sounds right up your alley.

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;167197]Well, just logged onto my indeed and saw where yesterday morning Settoon Towing is looking for a Deckhand/Tankerman. Does not say on there about needing a license so I would look into that now! Sounds right up your alley.[/QUOTE]

On the application, it does ask for a MMC number, but I will apply anyway.

Sorry bout that… Only saw the indeed part… Didn’t look at the application…

No problem, at least my TWIC should be in the mail soon! I can wait a few weeks before I can apply, I should use the time to research companies out there anyway.

Where are you located? Are you looking for work in the gulf, river, Great Lakes? Of the research you have done, what do you “think” you want to do.

Could anyone give me some advice?

I’m trying to get started somewhere as an deckhand or OS. I live in North Carolina (inland). I don’t have any merchant marine, military, or trades experience, but I do have my TWIC, MMC (OS), and STCW-Basic Training cert. I’m a hard and attentive worker and I think I could handle the stresses of the job pretty well.

After I got my STCW-BT a couple weeks ago, I did a road trip from Charleston to Jacksonville, visiting local tug companies along the way. Spent a lot of money and didn’t land any jobs, but I think one or two places might consider me if something opens up. Now I’m back home shooting out online applications.

Are there any other approaches you guys would suggest?

I’ve thought about joining the SIU in Norfolk or Jacksonville just to get that crucial first experience, but I’ve heard it can take a really long time to get work and I don’t think I have the money to hang out away from home for weeks or a month (or longer) without work.

Secondly, since I’m 6’5, young, and in good shape, I thought I might have an advantage getting work on a yacht, but I have no clue what my chances would be (and limited funds), so I’m hesitant.

My absolute top priority is just getting some kind of relevant experience as soon as possible. I’m going to keep doing the online apps, but I’m really curious if you guys would recommend the SIU, yacht, or any other routes.

Don’t mean to hijack your thread Proxima; just wanted to post since we’re considering similar stuff.

Hey no problem gezel,

that is one of the reasons I am here on these forums is to learn.

I myself am looking to go the work boat route.

My friend is a SIU member, and he have been pushing me to go to the local hall here in Jacksonville, but say’s my first few jobs will probably suck. Once I get my z-card, I am going to start applying up and down the east coast here. I am open to go anywhere to work, so that opens me up to some jobs. I did get a offer to crew a sail boat from BVI to Miami for a delivery, at least that will help me to get my <100t raiting.