Any other Ordinary Seaman having trouble finding work?

First off, gCaptain has been a HUGE resource for me when I was getting my TWIC and MMC earlier this year. I really appreciate the place and enjoy all the advice and experience on here and hope one day to be able to contribute something to it as well.

Now to my point, I’m 22 years old and have had my credentials and TWIC since March. And since March have sent approximately 20 applications to Tug and OSV companies with no luck in finding entry level work. My brother’s been with Reinauer for about 10 years and said when he started it was as simple as knocking on a Company’s door with a packed bag to find a deckhand gig. I’m just wondering is the maritime work pool THAT full with qualified folks that us green guys are not really needed or this the normal procedure? I’m looking to get into the engine room down the road but it sure is hard getting the necessary experience standing on the shore. At this point I’d be happy with just securing a phone interview. Any other OS’s having these issues?

Yes, I’m having the same problem. Tomorrow I’m headed down to the harbor (I’m in Baltimore) and plan to walk into the offices to see who I can talk to. If they say they are not hiring, ill probably ask them what I can do in the mean time to put myself in a better position to get hired.

I would recommend to you both to get your BST (basic safety training) class done and that would make you more marketable in my opinion. I know at our tug company entry level hires that have that get put at the top of the hire pool.

Ive noticed alot of the companys wont hire green guys anymore, they have only been hiring licensed deckhands the last little bit where im at. Call around to a few of the small boat companies, or even try Mac, Kirby, Bouchard, they always need fresh souls for the grinder. The other thing alot of new guys dont get is, being new it only takes 1-2 people to sink you at a company, best to lay low for a while, learn the job, not want to become the next super mate in 3 hitches.

Knocking on a company’s door with your bags packed is still a good way to go. Ditto on having BST as well. Sending in / filling out applications online for an entry level (OS/Wiper) position is not likely to bear much fruit. Phone calls to follow up might help but there is no substitute for walking in and shaking hands with the folks in the office.

I don’t think Bouchard hires OS anymore. They pushed hard to phase out OS/Tankerman

Try the Great Lakes companies too. I know Grand River has O/S’s.

I second rshrew’s suggestion to get BST. If you shop around you should be able to take it for a pretty fair price.

They don’t no more, I know now Reinauer with our new contract there not hiring no more AB unless there are licensed AB. So if you only have an AB ticket that won’t do you any good no more at Reinauer.

Just be persistent and keep calling and emailing and Knocking it will pay off takes months sometimes but it will! I left the oilfield in the late '90’s wen tin the military and it took about 5 months to get back in when I returned, worked in a cotton gin till that call came! So don’t get down or give up! try harder!

[QUOTE=Dboys75;116481]Just be persistent and keep calling and emailing and Knocking it will pay off takes months sometimes but it will! I left the oilfield in the late '90’s wen tin the military and it took about 5 months to get back in when I returned, worked in a cotton gin till that call came! So don’t get down or give up! try harder![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the words of encouragement and for your military service. I know I’ll find something eventually if I don’t stop actively searching for work. In the meantime I’ll just be working my minimum wage job and trying to make myself more employable in the maritime marketplace.

[QUOTE=“Steven J;114358”]First off, gCaptain has been a HUGE resource for me when I was getting my TWIC and MMC earlier this year. I really appreciate the place and enjoy all the advice and experience on here and hope one day to be able to contribute something to it as well.

Now to my point, I’m 22 years old and have had my credentials and TWIC since March. And since March have sent approximately 20 applications to Tug and OSV companies with no luck in finding entry level work. My brother’s been with Reinauer for about 10 years and said when he started it was as simple as knocking on a Company’s door with a packed bag to find a deckhand gig. I’m just wondering is the maritime work pool THAT full with qualified folks that us green guys are not really needed or this the normal procedure? I’m looking to get into the engine room down the road but it sure is hard getting the necessary experience standing on the shore. At this point I’d be happy with just securing a phone interview. Any other OS’s having these issues?[/QUOTE]

It’s going to be hard to get hired without showing up, especially for new deckhands. On OSVs there are so many deckhands in the office Monday morning they won’t bother even looking at your online application or resume.

Try REC Marine in cut off La.

Dont be shocked at the day rate but it may get you in the door.

Thanks for all the info guys. I’m gonna take my BST in Charleston in October, hopefully that helps. In the meantime I’m going to just keep calling around and scrounge up some cash for a road trip to knock on doors. Also, you guys mentioned a few companies I’ve never heard of so I’ll definitely look into them. Like I said, any day rate is a gold mine to me, I just need the experience. I haven’t earned the right to nitpick the pay yet.

iv done my bst i have a passport twic card my mmc is getting printed i have my stcw i live in ga im willing to relocate where should i start applying?

[QUOTE=Adam Gautney;135990]iv done my bst i have a passport twic card my mmc is getting printed i have my stcw i live in ga im willing to relocate where should i start applying?[/QUOTE]

Search the threads: READ this first, Knocking on Doors in Louisiana, and similar.

thank you tugsailor i did read them my mmc has been approved for print so hopefully ill have it in hand next week. im not going to be able to go all the way to Louisiana to look for a job
just dont have the money to do that and isent that mostly tugs? i was trying to go tanker or cargo preferably in the engine room given my army experience with diesel/hydraulics systems any idea on that?

I believe if it is that important to you to find work in the industry then you will find a way to gather the funds to head out there. I am currently sharing a living room floor and working 3 jobs just so I can try knocking on doors for my second time.

ok good new my mmc has been issued

It took me a year to get hired by Mcallister Philly so don’t give up. Keep calling all the places you’ve applied weekly. Eventually they’ll get tired of u calling and hire u. I all but gave up and the phone rang out of the blue.

1 Like