Any other Ordinary Seaman having trouble finding work?

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;136148]It took me a year to get hired by Mcallister Philly so don’t give up. Keep calling all the places you’ve applied weekly. Eventually they’ll get tired of u calling and hire u. I all but gave up and the phone rang out of the blue.[/QUOTE]

I took a McAllister tug along side in Philly once and the guy driving was wearing a black t-shirt with the “TUG” symbol with the downward arrow in white, pointed at his crotch, obviously. Is that a McAllister thing or was that just a one-off? I’d sure as hell like to know where to get one of them things.

I just had a buddy call me today said American Marine Corporation is lookin for AB’s in Florida for a dredge job

[QUOTE=desertrat85;136133]I believe if it is that important to you to find work in the industry then you will find a way to gather the funds to head out there. I am currently sharing a living room floor and working 3 jobs just so I can try knocking on doors for my second time.[/QUOTE]

The payoff is there if you make the sacrifices to go down in person and look for a job in LA. Make any cuts you can in your spending. Don’t smoke (if you smoke), quit drinking, cook your own food, cut off your directv… or home phone if you already have a cell phone. Drink water, not sodas or red bull. Shop at the goodwill… You don’t need to stay in a hotel when you go either… I know one guy stayed in a tent in a campground in February to get his job… at least he had access to showers and could grill his meals. If you want it bad enough… you will make it happen.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136155]I took a McAllister tug along side in Philly once and the guy driving was wearing a black t-shirt with the “TUG” symbol with the downward arrow in white, pointed at his crotch, obviously. Is that a McAllister thing or was that just a one-off? I’d sure as hell like to know where to get one of them things.[/QUOTE]

I saw the same fucking guy a few weeks ago! hahah we took the cape Kennedy out of the dry dock in philly and as we let go forward tug (Mcallister) i saw him standing on the bridge deck outside. Hahah i was like “That shirt rules and my man dose not give a fuck” haha.

Where the hell do we get them though!?!?!?

the Mrs dabbles in screen printing. I’ll ask her how much. Usually it’s a 75 buck setup charge for the screen. Then a 12 shirt minimum. Around 16 a shirt.

Well shit, you’d think they’d just sell those at a chandlery somewhere. I’ve got it! John, Rob, Mike! Would the gCaptain store be interested in selling these t-shirts???

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136202]Well shit, you’d think they’d just sell those at a chandlery somewhere. I’ve got it! John, Rob, Mike! Would the gCaptain store be interested in selling these t-shirts???[/QUOTE]

Seriously, hoodies too.

I can tell you that the TUGS shirt with the arrow is not standard McAllister Towing apparel.

It should be though!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136202]Well shit, you’d think they’d just sell those at a chandlery somewhere. I’ve got it! John, Rob, Mike! Would the gCaptain store be interested in selling these t-shirts???[/QUOTE]I second this motion. All in favor say “Aye”.

It’s on Zazzle. Look for Tug with location shirt. See if this link works.

http://www.zazzle.com/tugboat_location_arrow_hoodie-235024457502947370

[QUOTE=Steven J;114358]First off, gCaptain has been a HUGE resource for me when I was getting my TWIC and MMC earlier this year. I really appreciate the place and enjoy all the advice and experience on here and hope one day to be able to contribute something to it as well.

Now to my point, I’m 22 years old and have had my credentials and TWIC since March. And since March have sent approximately 20 applications to Tug and OSV companies with no luck in finding entry level work. My brother’s been with Reinauer for about 10 years and said when he started it was as simple as knocking on a Company’s door with a packed bag to find a deckhand gig. I’m just wondering is the maritime work pool THAT full with qualified folks that us green guys are not really needed or this the normal procedure? I’m looking to get into the engine room down the road but it sure is hard getting the necessary experience standing on the shore. At this point I’d be happy with just securing a phone interview. Any other OS’s having these issues?[/QUOTE]

Hell, I have a Chief Mate Unlimited, 1600 Ton Master, TOAR, and DP Basic, and I am having trouble finding work. I’ve applied to 20 or so Drilling Companies, 20 or so OSV Companies, and another handful of placement agencies, and haven’t had one hit.Trying to get DPO, but nobody wants to hire a new DP Trainee, it seems.

[QUOTE=eThib;136247]Hell, I have a Chief Mate Unlimited, 1600 Ton Master, TOAR, and DP Basic, and I am having trouble finding work. I’ve applied to 20 or so Drilling Companies, 20 or so OSV Companies, and another handful of placement agencies, and haven’t had one hit.Trying to get DPO, but nobody wants to hire a new DP Trainee, it seems.[/QUOTE]

Have you been down in person to see the OSV companies?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;136251]Have you been down in person to see the OSV companies?[/QUOTE]

I would be curious too. It seems we see postings from the “Chateau” stating that multiple people staying there are getting jobs just about every week. I can’t imagine that the only people getting hired are staying there (though from the postings… it seems like she is a good resource for people). Or is she exagerating? I kind of doubt that because we see independant postings from people who stayed there and got jobs.

It does sound like it is a little bit of luck in the timing of office visits… but, there have definitely been people hired at all levels and areas down there in the last few months… even an OS just the other week.

[QUOTE=eThib;136247]Hell, I have a Chief Mate Unlimited, 1600 Ton Master, TOAR, and DP Basic, and I am having trouble finding work. I’ve applied to 20 or so Drilling Companies, 20 or so OSV Companies, and another handful of placement agencies, and haven’t had one hit.Trying to get DPO, but nobody wants to hire a new DP Trainee, it seems.[/QUOTE]

Something is not right. With those credentials you should be getting plenty of offers. Do you have a professionally written resume and cover letter? Are you on Rigzone, gcaptain jobs, maritime employment, and LinkedIn? Have you knocked on doors in person at the OSV companies? Do you keep in touch with Oceanwide, MMS, C-Mar, Core Group, and Flagship?

There are too many mariners available for every job opening at the best companies, but at your level you should have plenty of offers.

[QUOTE=Saltgrain;136255]I would be curious too. It seems we see postings from the “Chateau” stating that multiple people staying there are getting jobs just about every week. I can’t imagine that the only people getting hired are staying there (though from the postings… it seems like she is a good resource for people). Or is she exagerating? I kind of doubt that because we see independant postings from people who stayed there and got jobs. It does sound like it is a little bit of luck in the timing of office visits… but, there have definitely been people hired at all levels and areas down there in the last few months… even an OS just the other week.[/QUOTE]There are jobs in the GoM. There are plenty of guys staying at the Holiday Inn Express or something else that are getting hired too. It might seem like staying at the Chateau gives you an extra leg, but being on the bayou and knocking on doors is really what the secret is regardless of where you lay your head at night.That being said, I don’t doubt that Ms. Claudette’ experience with job seekers will benefit those who have limited knowledge of the area and its companies.

How about get up from behind your computer and get your ass down here and take the job you want. They won’t give you anything across the internet. They will hire you if you’re in the right place at the right time. Shit! We hire guys all the time. Just not over the web. I think the worst thing a lot of companies ever did was put their applications on line. It created unrealistic expectations in applicants. You have to show your face to get a job.There’s no reason that someone with your credentials hasn’t been snapped up PD f…n Q!

[QUOTE=captrob;136261]How about get up from behind your computer and get your ass down here and take the job you want. They won’t give you anything across the internet. They will hire you if you’re in the right place at the right time. Shit! We hire guys all the time. Just not over the web. I think the worst thing a lot of companies ever did was put their applications on line. It created unrealistic expectations in applicants. You have to show your face to get a job.There’s no reason that someone with your credentials hasn’t been snapped up PD f…n Q![/QUOTE]

The online application is the worst thing ever, its sad the days of walking in handing one in and shaking someones hand are over.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;136263]The online application is the worst thing ever, its sad the days of walking in handing one in and shaking someones hand are over.[/QUOTE]

Those days are not over. Walk in still works at most companies anywhere in the USA. Its the only way it is done at the bayou boat companies (with a few exceptions, like Tidewater, Gulfmark, and Oceaneering).

By the way, i hear that Oceaneering only hires guys with unlimited licenses. I also hear that Hornbeck now wants to hire some unlimited licenses.

I am working on the West Coast, one of the guys on my boat just left for the Gulf, one just came back from a year in the Gulf, and we have another guy coming back after spending the winter months in the Gulf. So I am hearing a lot about working in the Gulf.

Call a headhunter