Kongsberg DP Scenario Training

I am going to be in Houston next week in DP Scenario training. Anyone attended this course before? I am hearing it is pretty good. I was wondering if any of the guys on this forum have attended it and had any feedback.

Haven’t done that course but did the Advanced operator course there a few weeks ago. Excellent course, school and instructors. Very professional. I did not leave feeling like I just wasted 4 days.

Did the course way back in its infancy, not that great back then. Maybe better now, but with your experience it may be a waste.

Yes it will be good. 70% will be a repitition of the Basic and Adv Course Theory. These Courses are generally organised by Companies.
I have attended the Basic and Adv Course in Singapore. They have a particularly intelligent instructor in Singapore with a good sense of humour. The 5 days are worth every cent. Lots of knowledge in simple language.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;86190]Did the course way back in its infancy, not that great back then. Maybe better now, but with your experience it may be a waste.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny. Actually I rarely spend much time on the bridge, now. I am only up there if there is a problem or small talk with the guys. Luckily I have a good group of men on the bridge. I am have heard a lot of good things from guys that have attended. I am hoping to get some good information. The company set these courses up for us and it is mandatory for all bridge crew. I am thinking some oysters tonight. Anyone know any good Oyster places close to Clay Rd. in Houston. I have been to Papadeauxs a few times and will probably go there again if I don’t hear of anything better.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;86280]That’s funny. Actually I rarely spend much time on the bridge, now. I am only up there if there is a problem or small talk with the guys. Luckily I have a good group of men on the bridge. I am have heard a lot of good things from guys that have attended. I am hoping to get some good information. The company set these courses up for us and it is mandatory for all bridge crew. I am thinking some oysters tonight. Anyone know any good Oyster places close to Clay Rd. in Houston. I have been to Papadeauxs a few times and will probably go there again if I don’t hear of anything better.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure if the class isn’t worth it, the trip to HOU will be…give a redneck per diem and all he thinks is how many 6-packs per day that is…and I’m not talking in those fancy bottles either. Oysters, yeah right, oyster shooters maybe.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;86280] Anyone know any good Oyster places close to Clay Rd. in Houston. I have been to Papadeauxs a few times and will probably go there again if I don’t hear of anything better.[/QUOTE]
The bay water is still a bit warm for decent oysters.
My sister lives in that area and says Papadeaux’s on 290 and on I10 are the only decent seafood joints close by.

Day one complete. This is a good course. The instructor has been with Kongsberg since 1976. He is very knowledgeable. I have already picked up on several new things and have received clarification on many issues. This is only day one. I am looking forward to finishing the week out here.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;86314]Day one complete. This is a good course. The instructor has been with Kongsberg since 1976. He is very knowledgeable. I have already picked up on several new things and have received clarification on many issues. This is only day one. I am looking forward to finishing the week out here.[/QUOTE]

Is the class putting emphasis on operator choices or emergency management choices?

A little bit of both. Today there was one scenario where you lost all three gyros at once. There were some tips about how things should be set up. For example you should set the draft sensors in Manual if you are going to be at a certain draft for a long time. I left my notes in the classroom, but there were several little bits of information that are just good practices. Most of today were things I already knew and was well aware of, but every little bit of information you can get that may help you with a real situation at work is worth it. So many times I have seen things at work that have simple solutions if you have the right knowledge. This is a Seadrill specific course so we are also dealing with company policy. It is interesting to hear information from other rigs in the fleet. The lecture and discussion is good so far.

I can tell you what a difference it makes having a qualified instructor. You get answers to tough questions and a complete understanding from both an operational and programming view point. DP Scenario is well worth the week in class.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;86690]I can tell you what a difference it makes having a qualified instructor. You get answers to tough questions and a complete understanding from both an operational and programming view point. DP Scenario is well worth the week in class.[/QUOTE]

I will pick your brain later…have a good trip back to the house and don’t miss that flight.