Just received my letter to test and something is wrong..... I think

So, I just received my approval letter to test from the CG. I had applied for 500 ton mate/ 3000 ITC which was approved and moved along for the examination. Now here is the weird part…

On my approval letter it gives me the modules that I am required to test on which are as follows:

181 Deck Gen 70%
183 Deck Safety 70%
185 Nav Problems (terrestrial) 90%
180 Nav Gen 70%
184 Plotting 87%

Notice there is no rules of the road ( Nav rules) which should be a 90% as well…

I called the Coast Guard and asked them what the deal was and I was told that I did not have to take the rules of the road exam!?!?!?!
I have never tested at the coast guard before and this seems wrong…

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else ever had a test omitted like this?

Thanks,

[QUOTE=blaineatk;133685]So, I just received my approval letter to test from the CG. I had applied for 500 ton mate/ 3000 ITC which was approved and moved along for the examination. Now here is the weird part…

On my approval letter it gives me the modules that I am required to test on which are as follows:

181 Deck Gen 70%
183 Deck Safety 70%
185 Nav Problems (terrestrial) 90%
180 Nav Gen 70%
184 Plotting 87%

Notice there is no rules of the road ( Nav rules) which should be a 90% as well…

I called the Coast Guard and asked them what the deal was and I was told that I did not have to take the rules of the road exam!?!?!?!
I have never tested at the coast guard before and this seems wrong…

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else ever had a test omitted like this?

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Have you upgraded your license in the past year (other than the one you were just approved to test for)?

I believe I have. I got my 100 ton but I didn’t test at coast guard if that matters. Also got my 200 mate.

If you have certain amounts of seatime on a license then they exempt you from taking certain portions, I went thru the same thing when upgrading to 1600 but still had rules test but I didn’t have to do other modules,That is different that’s for sure,always thought rules was always required,but if they give you the pass then take it .Good Luck

Recently found myself in a similar situation…no rules on the approved to test letter.

[QUOTE=blaineatk;133712]I believe I have. I got my 100 ton but I didn’t test at coast guard if that matters. Also got my 200 mate.[/QUOTE]

If it was less than a year ago, you are probably being credited with having met the rules module when you last upgraded, there is only one rules module for int’l and inland and only one for inland only. The one year is from how long you have to finish testing for an approved application.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=edshannah;133722]If you have certain amounts of seatime on a license then they exempt you from taking certain portions, I went thru the same thing when upgrading to 1600 but still had rules test but I didn’t have to do other modules,That is different that’s for sure,always thought rules was always required,but if they give you the pass then take it .Good Luck[/QUOTE]

It’s not the same, and it’s not an “exemption” from sea time. You took a limited examination because the regs for master 500 say that for this specific upgrade, you can. It applies to master 1600 because the exam for master 500 is the same as for master 1600. It doesn’t apply to any other licenses.

Congrats Blaine on your approved to test letter. I just went to take the crossover test and didn’t have to take the ROR test either. When you pass, you are gonna have to head over to the Germans and we will toast your new License.

How about that crossover test AB Murph? I have been studying everything that I can think of for it. Coefficient of Expansion, finding the vertex for Great Sailings, lots of ship’s construction, and a host of other crazy things. I am only going for my Near Coastal 1600. I am wondering if I am overstudying. I am not sure what is on the test so I am trying to cover everything to make sure there are no suprises. Any hints you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

If you get the exam codes, then get Lapware and plug them in, it will produce exactly what you need to be studying.

Working Irish - I’ll shoot you a PM. Don’t wish to hijack blaineatk’s thread.