Is appointment to test necessary?

I just stopped in to Mandeville REC to set up an appointment to test for my 3rd Mate’s license after my next hitch. The lady told me I don’t need to make an appointment, just show up with my “approval to test” letter.

This seems kind of risky – anyone else show up for 7 modules of testing with no advance warning?

[QUOTE=Black_Angel;42764]I just stopped in to Mandeville REC to set up an appointment to test for my 3rd Mate’s license after my next hitch. The lady told me I don’t need to make an appointment, just show up with my “approval to test” letter.

This seems kind of risky – anyone else show up for 7 modules of testing with no advance warning?[/QUOTE]

Black_Angel,

I did make an appointment when I tested at Mandeville, LA last November and I do not think it was necessary. You can make the appointment online if you like. They do not do any preparation just because you make an appointment. I had 9 Modules for Chief Mate plus 2 modules for Barge Supervisor for a total of 11 modules. What she said is pretty accurate. All the tests are printed up while you wait. I asked the proctor to print them up for me and have them ready, that I intended to take as many as I could. He did not listen. He just printed them up after he graded my previous one. It only took a day and a half, though. They were very friendly and there is plenty of testing seats available.

PS when I was there they did not have a star finder in the testing area. I do not know how to identify stars without it. There is a way…I just don’t know how. They let me use my personal star finder. I would suggest bringing yours just in case.

When I went to the Seattle REC for an examination, I made an appointment online. The guy there didn’t know I was coming, and when I left he explained that the online appointment system doesn’t notify him. He gave me his card, so that I could call and let him know when I was coming in for future tests…

I tested in mandeville early august. I called ahead because the appointment calendar was unavailable for the next several days (it wanted to schedule me a week out). They confirmed no appointment neccesary, I gave them my mariner number and when I showed up the next morning, they had everything ready. I took the exams in the order that I wanted (CELNAV first, ROR, Gen), and as he graded one test, the next exam was ready. They did have a starfinder, but it looked pretty beat up and not sure if it was complete. I had my own because I heard they didn’t provide one in the exam room. Overall I think there were 4 questions that used the Rude (2 on celnav exam). They let me test at my own pace, working through lunch if I wanted. Finished that afternoon. Get there for a 730 start and have your last exam finished by the time they close (I think 430).
Good luck.

I don’t know if you can call the REC directly any more. All the REC’s have the same number that goes directly to NMC. Even the “secret” numbers I had don’t work any more. Walk in and hope or use the online scheduler seem to be the options now.

Google “USCG Mandeville”

4250 Louisiana 22
Mandeville, Louisiana 70471
(985) 624-5700