Internships on Harbour Assist Tugs?

Hello, I was wondering if y’all knew of any Harbour Assist Tug Company willing to take Interns this summer?
I’ve recently grown an interest in Harbour Assist Tugs and would like to do my summer internships onboard such tugs during the summer to gain sea time and experience as a Deckhand/Ordinary Seaman?
At the current moment, I already have my Basic Training and VPDSD endorsement from my Maritime College and would like to get the sea time and first-hand experience this summer to start off my maritime career, to get a better understanding on what it takes to work on tugs. I’ve already been doing my research and looking at Local Tug Companies in the Houston area but wouldn’t mind doing my internship elsewhere in the United States. Any tug companies you would recommend to check out? Any advice about a career onboard such tugs would indeed be useful since any insight would help get a better understanding on the towing industry. My long term goal is to eventually move up towards the wheelhouse of a good tug company.

Moran of Jacksonville takes cadets. Worked as a deckhand there when I was in college

1 Like

Most any of the larger ship assist tug companies will take cadets. Just call and ask. Or even better knock on their door.

1 Like

Go talk to G&H towing in Galveston.

2 Likes

Have you tried calling them? Moran, McAllister, Crowley, Foss, etc. For Moran and McAllister at least you would call each individual port.

1 Like

I second G&H towing, they have taken cadets/interns in the past couple of years.

2 Likes

I have though a number of them have me leaving a voice messages with them.

Basic training and VPDSD takes a total of a week. What license level do you get when you graduate San Jacinto? I dont think you need an “internship” to be an ordinary seaman or harbor tug deckhand. That’s an entry level position already, you’d just be asking for a job rather than an internship. If you’re going to go to college you might as well go to Texas A&M. This san jacinto “maritime college” is a nonsense program that there was never any need for created by some community college system bureaucrats who have no idea what theyre doing. Theres going to be no place for these grads except where they couldve gone without the associates degree and just an entry level MMC

Two thumbs up for G&H. They did offer jobs for newly graduated cadets from KP and other state schools… Money wasn’t there at first but you grew into it as your skills improved. Quite a few Houston pilots got their start there. It doesn’t happen overnight. I remember Mr Brown (A KP alumni) as a young man and past president of the association. He is one of the pilots that took a swim and lived to tell about it. He was a pleasure to sail with, especially in that crazy,narrow channel.

1 Like

There is a very active limited tonnage towing industry in the Houston Ship Channel. I’m pretty sure that is what San Jacinto is there to serve.

4 Likes

You’re really doing a good job of validating the reputation of many KP grads as complete pricks.

6 Likes

That’s what I’ve been hearing about G&H towing and would try to see if I can intern with them though it’s going to be competitive, I’ll give it my best shot though for interviews.

1 Like

G&H offered me a paid summer internship a few years ago. I didn’t take it, which is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done since I’m from Houston. As far as I recall that internship was offered to 2 deck/2 engine maritime academy cadets.

1 Like

At least Maine Maritime’s associates degree option gets you AB Limited and 200 ton mate.

My son was offered quite a few jobs upon graduation. The one from a certain large OSV company guaranteed no layoffs. Although the entry money for a green 3rd mate was attractive, I advised him against it in 2015. That company, although still in business, did have layoffs in following years. The name I think begins with an O. G&H was up front and center about their history, pay and hiring policy. Being from the east coast, he could not afford to relocate and have a few coins left over. Would have loved for him to secure a mate/deckhand position locally. The boathandling training alone is priceless. A young person living near Houston could perhaps do well by them, especially down the road opportunities and the wealth of experience getting your hands dirty on a respected and well run assist tug company. They did quality work for me and my rig. He went with MSC until the brain tumor showed up. The shit those pilots in Houston go through everyday is amazing. I hold my humble hat down.

1 Like

Yep, valuable credentials. AB limited is useful in the GoM, Mate 200 is good for an assist tug. This San Jacinto “maritime college” gets you out as an OS. If you join MSC out of high school you will get more endorsements and training in a much shorter amount of time. Training that will help you get on contract and GOGO ships. I know 18 year olds out of high school doing it and they’re gonna do A LOT better than whatever comes out of this San Jacinto.

“Maritime school” = cash payments by captive student base for mostly dead simple PowerPoint gigs. Who wouldn’t open one?

That’s great, man. None of that relates to the thread which is the OP looking for recommendations to get an internship. No one here is worried about your opinion on their life choices or what school they chose. Feel free to start another thread with you offering life advice to people you don’t know, though.

1 Like

May I ask if you interviewed with them? If so, what were they looking for in internship candidates, such as specific questions, or tasks? Could you offer advice, tips, and things to practice on when interviewing with a company such as G&H Towing.

No i didn’t. There was an interest email from the schools shipboard training department. I responded to it and was offered the internship. It’s 3 weeks if I remember paid. They hire grads as training mate. You’re not graduating with a mates license so I don’t know why they would offer you the same internship.