Information on Harvey Gulf safety protocols and overall safety environment

I’m doing research on Harvey Gulf and need help getting information. It is very clear Shane/Harvey Gulf is all about money but I don’t see much about safety or safety protocols. I’ve been told that money comes first and employee safety or just the employee in general comes dead last. Please share any stories you have.

So, by the looks of things and general tone of your query, you are working on a “case”. That said, during my time working for an oil major that chartered Harvey Gulf vessels I observed they worked to adhere to their safety protocols and were nearly identical to the ones the oil major had. They were comparable to the other large companies in the industry in the GOM.

1 Like

Interesting. I posted because a friend of mine was recently injured. When they got to the dock no ambulance was there to pick him up…it was a mess. Then after doing some digging i found a lawsuit filed a while back about this guy who had a heart attack on one of the vessels and when they finally brought him to the dock there was no ambulance and poor guy had to drive himself to the hospital. Again, heard a similar story about a guy who had a stroke and Harvey wouldn’t send a helicopter to him to transport to shore.

I’ve heard that Harvey, like most OSV and oil companies, is safety crazy.

You have to wear a hard hat, googles, steel toe boots, and work vest at all times, even in your bunk.

Sounds like the captains need to sit through a two day course to learn how to dial 911 for an ambulance as soon as the vessel is in cell phone range. No reason not to have the ambulance on the dock before the vessel gets it’s lines out.

6 Likes

I think you have understand true business practices, there has to be a sense of financial discipline in every company. People on the outside may see it as cutting corners of some sort, when in essence those people are trying to keep the business a float. No money, no business, no employees. Working in the GOM, OSV and all contractors that work with the Oil Majors are heavily vetted for safety. I agree with the above statement, why was not a simple phone call to 911 when the vessel was entering port not made from the Captain.

911 after getting to the dock? For a cardiac issue at sea, it better be VHF16 and a MH-65 Dolphin or alteast an offshore facility with a 12-lead ECG and helideck. I would not even contemplate any other option. I will take the asschewing after the fact.

Edited to add that I’ve done many OVID and CMID inspections on Harvey vessels. They have a decent SMS and generally run their vessels with a safey first attitude. I cannot speak of any particular situation, but you will not get a charter as a vessel operator with anything less.

1 Like