Info on cooking on ships

I am new to the bord so hello to all.
I have cooked on white boats for some time now and am thinking about the
Ship industry.
IE . barge, suply ship, tug, container ship, I have twix and stcw
I here that I must start as a stuard or low level and that is ok .
Any info would be helpful
Thank’s

If you looking at the GOM. Type in offshore catering houma, la and call every company you see. They always need galley hands/bedroom hands/bakers

Bouchard for some reason has been advertising for cooks. Didn’t even know they had cooks?

thats a typo. He’s looking for cRooks.

[QUOTE=Hamilton;125889]I am new to the bord so hello to all.
I have cooked on white boats for some time now and am thinking about the
Ship industry.
IE . barge, suply ship, tug, container ship, I have twix and stcw
I here that I must start as a stuard or low level and that is ok .
Any info would be helpful
Thank’s[/QUOTE]

Lots of companies need qualified cooks down here in Louisiana.
Check out this video about a mariner coming down and getting a job as a cook just to get his foot in the door with a great company.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqxgBIszfmks&ei=Cj0KU9fiCMnHkAeX1IDQBQ&usg=AFQjCNFpCX6JBj6t_7MuqnqrJ-VCCMBpSw&bvm=bv.61725948,d.eW0

Best wishes to you.

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast

As for the cooks on container ships. You will be competing with Arabs who pay off the union officials for specific jobs. When their time is up, their brother has already lined up the position, by paying off the before mentioned union official. According to Mohammed on the last ship I was on the going rate is $1500 per job.

[QUOTE=RichM;131292]As for the cooks on container ships. You will be competing with Arabs who pay off the union officials for specific jobs. When their time is up, their brother has already lined up the position, by paying off the before mentioned union official. According to Mohammed on the last ship I was on the going rate is $1500 per job.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t unions the best? Brothers in arms till the very end! Long live the Proletariat!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;131293]Aren’t unions the best? Brothers in arms till the very end! Long live the Proletariat![/QUOTE]

One person posting anonymously on an internet forum doesn’t carry much weight. I don’t know how you would payoff any one. Do they not post the job?

People do things that are immoral and illegal. Business rip off customers, customers steal from businesses, church members steal from churches, churches steal from members. Government workers take kickbacks from contractors and on and on forever. Look at what the financial industry has done to the U.S. economy

Any organization of any appreciable size is going to have to deal with the shortcomings of human beings. Do we hold unions to a different standard?

Wouldn’t call them ships but ECO needs cooks. Don’t hold me to it but they get around $250/day. No making beds and what not. Just cook and clean the kitchen.

In the latest Maritime Reporter Bouchard Transportation in N.Y. is hiring cooks. If I did not see this with my own eyes I would not have believed it as they got rid of the Cooks during the 1988 333 Strike.