Cook-Specific Questions

Hi All,

I’ve got a few questions for you fine folks regarding cooking positions. Please know that I have searched until my eyes crusted over and nearly fell out, but as of yet have not found all the answers to my many, many questions. Before I get started, yes, my TWIC and MMC are being processed.

Here goes…

I have noticed in my searching that very rarely are cooking positions mentioned on boat company websites. Deckhand/Wheelman/Mate/Engineer are mentioned time and time again, but “cook” (or steward" just doesn’t seem to show up. My first question is this: Is it common for this position to go un-posted? Moreover, should I be hitting this “company x” up once my documents are squared away, or should I move on? I’ve determined that in order to make anything happen I need to be there in person, but I’d like to be barking up the right tree…

I’m also in need of a short explanation on which types of boats/ships use cooks. From reading this link and its subcategories I’ve developed a basic understanding of the basic breakdown of types of OSV’s but that’s about where my comprehension stops. As such, I’d be very grateful if somebody could throw out the “these types usually have cooks, these usually don’t” type of response. I don’t need specifics, just a push in the right direction. For what it’s worth, I’m also looking at brown-water cooking positions.

Finally, if anybody knows pay rates for cooks in the different vessel types, that would also be very handy. I’ve found a few references to “sonofaseacook”, which quotes 220 - 280 a day and only really states “in the gulf”, but have been more-or-less unable to verify this. I’ve also seen a reference to Grand River Transportation which reportedly pays up to 360 or so, but again, information is relatively scarce.

Can I cook? Yes; my background includes professional training, fine-dining restaurants, Moroccan joints, French creperies, Swanky Italian joints… Fancy french stuff? no problem (though I don’t anticipate doing that stuff on most vessels). Meatloaf? no problem. Fresh bread, muffins, or croissants? no problem. Scratch made Carnitas? Fried Chicken?..see my username.

I’ve read over and over that a good cook is worth their weight in gold, and about all the crappy cooks people have to put up with, but aside from some of the catering companies (which I’m not looking to go through) I don’t see much hiring emphasis placed on the position.

Okay folks, fire away!

Many Thanks,

David

A lot of those jobs are handled by contractors. The company I work for has a few of its own cooks working in the fleet, but most of our vessels have cooks hired through Taylors International.

I don’t think the pay is that great. Most of the cooks they send us aren’t that great, either. Once in a while a good one will come around and if the captain has any pull he will try to keep that cook on a regular rotation for as long as the boat is on charter.

There are a lot of boats in the Gulf that are out of work right now, I’m sorry to say. That means a lot of empty cook positions that won’t be filled until the oil business picks up and boats start working again.

Good luck to you.

I saw a group interview with 12 OSs applying (ECO). Some even had experience.

Of course, no openings for anyone. But 2 rejectees mentioned they were cooks. Guess who got to hang around for the physicals?

try commercial fishing companies based out of seattle. All the ones running catcher processors or just processors have cooks onboard but the CPs would pay the best. Id be willing to bet the cooks in the north pacific are making a lot more than the guys down in the gulf too. BUT, you WILL GET THE CRAP BEAT OUT OF YOU IN BAD WEATHER! and there will be no situation where not cooking is acceptable, no matter how bad the weather. You better be REALLY sure youre okay with that going into it because the first time you try to “sit one out” with a hungry fishing crew, youre going to want to throw yourself over the side, if they don’t do it for you. My guess is you would be hired as an assistant/breakfast cook for a trial. That could mean working half your shift in the galley and half in a factory. Shifts will be 12-16 hours depending on the company as well. Chances are, youll be working harder than you’ve ever worked in your life, but chances are, as a head cook you will make more than you ever have in your life.

I’m far from the GOM, but any luck trying with the offshore “catering” companies? Yeah there have been layoffs and stacking, but I bet on that side of the business there’s a ton of turnover especially entry level. Its not boat crew work but you could rack up a year of offshore cooking experience for the resume pretty easily i would think.

When i started at Hornbeck offshore several years ago they had 3 guys at new hire orientation who were hired to cook on the OSV’s. Not sure what the pay is or if that has changed since. That was 8 years ago.

[QUOTE=Chikn&biskts;157001]Hi All,

I’ve got a few questions for you fine folks regarding cooking positions. Please know that I have searched until my eyes crusted over and nearly fell out, but as of yet have not found all the answers to my many, many questions. Before I get started, yes, my TWIC and MMC are being processed.

Here goes…

I have noticed in my searching that very rarely are cooking positions mentioned on boat company websites. Deckhand/Wheelman/Mate/Engineer are mentioned time and time again, but “cook” (or steward" just doesn’t seem to show up. My first question is this: Is it common for this position to go un-posted? Moreover, should I be hitting this “company x” up once my documents are squared away, or should I move on? I’ve determined that in order to make anything happen I need to be there in person, but I’d like to be barking up the right tree…

I’m also in need of a short explanation on which types of boats/ships use cooks. From reading this link and its subcategories I’ve developed a basic understanding of the basic breakdown of types of OSV’s but that’s about where my comprehension stops. As such, I’d be very grateful if somebody could throw out the “these types usually have cooks, these usually don’t” type of response. I don’t need specifics, just a push in the right direction. For what it’s worth, I’m also looking at brown-water cooking positions.

Finally, if anybody knows pay rates for cooks in the different vessel types, that would also be very handy. I’ve found a few references to “sonofaseacook”, which quotes 220 - 280 a day and only really states “in the gulf”, but have been more-or-less unable to verify this. I’ve also seen a reference to Grand River Transportation which reportedly pays up to 360 or so, but again, information is relatively scarce.

Can I cook? Yes; my background includes professional training, fine-dining restaurants, Moroccan joints, French creperies, Swanky Italian joints… Fancy french stuff? no problem (though I don’t anticipate doing that stuff on most vessels). Meatloaf? no problem. Fresh bread, muffins, or croissants? no problem. Scratch made Carnitas? Fried Chicken?..see my username.

I’ve read over and over that a good cook is worth their weight in gold, and about all the crappy cooks people have to put up with, but aside from some of the catering companies (which I’m not looking to go through) I don’t see much hiring emphasis placed on the position.

Okay folks, fire away!

Many Thanks,

David[/QUOTE]

You will probably make the most money and be happiest on large motor yachts.

HI Fellas,

Bilgerat: Yea, I’ve read mostly bad things about the catering companies like Taylor and OSSA, which is why I hesitate to go through them. I’ve also run across “Cardinal Culinary Services” but I’m not sure what their reputation is. I’m not necessarily married to working in the gulf; I’m pretty much game to work anywhere I can cook some good food, get paid appropriately, and have an interesting life experience.

Snacktray: Interesting point on the fishing companies; I’ll definitely look into those… Certainly no stranger to 12 or 16 hour days: that’s the norm in professional kitchens. Not applebees, but real restaurants (Applebees uses microwaves for 80 or 90% of their food, btw). I have not, however, put in that kind of day in rough weather being slapped around a galley while spilling soup everywhere…that should be pretty wild.

Acesouthcoast: I’m definitely keeping tabs on the websites of the big four, and once all my documents are inline, I will start hounding them!

Tugsailer: Do you mean private yachts? I suppose my free time could be fun, but I’d honestly rather be churning out biscuits & gravy for 10 or 20 dudes than trying to please the every whim of whoever owns the boat. Don’t get me wrong, preparing dishes like “Seared diver scallops with melted leeks, Parsnip puree, butter-poached chanterelles and wilted french chard” is fun and rewarding in its own way, but it’s also kind of a pita. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m more of a “down-to-earth, let’s eat some good food” than “look at my amazing creation” kind of guy. I’ve never been into the showboating thing.

I appreciate all of your input!

I’ve heard that research vessels, such as the ones owned by universities and such, can be great to work on. Anybody have any experience on these?