Cook/chef

I want to cook offshore or on a boat can anyone put me in the right direction,thanks Frankie

Goggle Sodexo … They have people on a lot of rigs in the GoM

If you are a chef or have experience as a cook, and have an MMC and TWIC, submit your resume to the companies in the gulf. Otto Candies, Harvey, Abdon Callais, Chouest, etc. From what I’ve seen around here, they’ll hire anyone who can operate a can opener and deep fryer.

i’m a chef

[QUOTE=namlimxanh;160340]i’m a chef[/QUOTE]

And??? Good for you. We all work on boats

I’m a conasewery of many fine Cajun dishes. Can I be a mud boat foodie? I would like to offer my services to any vessel chef wishing to have their cuisine fairly critiqued. I’m available for lunches any day we are at the dock.

[QUOTE=namlimxanh;160340]i’m a chef[/QUOTE]

You’re either a poor speller or on the wrong forum. Did you mean chief?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;160383]You’re either a poor speller or on the wrong forum. Did you mean chief?[/QUOTE]

A “chef” is a person who is a highly skilled professional cook who is proficient in all aspects of food preparation. The word “chef” is derived (and shortened) from the term “chef de cuisine”, the director or head of a kitchen. In English, the title “chef” in the culinary profession originated in the haute cuisine of the 19th century, that introduced many French words into the English language. In non-English European languages, a “chef” is the head chef while others are “cooks.”

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;160370]And??? Good for you. We all work on boats[/QUOTE]

I know many chefs.The industry considers them just above pedophile or convict. Your efforts WILL be appreciated by most of the crew but there are many who hold on to this frying and can opening stereotype. If this offends you, I would consider another industry to cook in. This guy’s comments are typical of boat management. Non creative types who get jealous when the complements start coming your way. Nobody ever complements the captain for getting them there safely or the engineers for the water and power. It makes them mad. If you are young and have the fight in you, maybe you can help change the industry view of cooks. I hope so. Certainly chefs are key to good morale and nutrition on a boat and should be treated as such. Also, they are usually the lowest paid and hardest working. Good luck!

You might be a “chef” but the second you step into an environment where you’re feeding us working-class folk, that title should be checked at the door. Or, more accurately, the attitude that comes with the “chef” title needs to be checked at the door. Better to be known as a “cook” that can bang out the basics and do okay with the more complex stuff, than to be called a “chef” that can’t cook a steak worth a damn.

[QUOTE=Frankie Keller;84659]I want to cook offshore or on a boat can anyone put me in the right direction,thanks Frankie[/QUOTE]

Understand Frankie that you will be working with a bunch of yahoos who will not appreciate and will be jealous of your talents like some of the guys who commented before me.
They fail to understand that the more talented “cooks” that come into this industry, the better their quality of life gets.
If you are lucky enough to find a captain that supports you and a crew that appreciates you, stay there because that is a rare situation.
My experience has been that “cooks” are on the same level as pedophiles and convicts.
Also, usually they cooks are the hardest workers, have the least amount of breaks and make the least amount on money on the boat.
Talk about suffering for your art!
Good luck!

It’s usually the “chefs” who serve succotash out of the can, iceberg lettuce, past due dairy, etc

If you indeed are a trained chef why are you looking to work on merchant ships? Check out the cruise lines instead. The cuisine expected on merchant ships varies from that which will sustain life to near fine dining. As crew I have eaten at all levels. Food that was barely edible but allowed me to get thru another day, food that was not recognizable and all either fried or boiled depending on the geographical location and I have also had some of the best meals in my life with excellent wine and superb sorbet after the meal. The best chefs start at the bottom, no legitimate shipping company will hire you at the top. You may want to apply at the USA non union companies especially in the US Gulf of Mexico. They will hire about anyone that can heat oil or water and throw some food substance in it.

If you actually know how to cook why go to sea? I cooked for several years im boston at a few nice restraunts and it was an awesome lifestyle. Hot waitress’s are much better than smelly dudes

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;160714]If you actually know how to cook why go to sea? I cooked for several years im boston at a few nice restraunts and it was an awesome lifestyle. Hot waitress’s are much better than smelly dudes[/QUOTE]

I know my company pays cooks anywhere from $250 - $350/day and 90% of them only seem to know how to cook “Cajun” style and fry the shit out of everything. “No I don’t want gumbo and fried okra everyday!!!” Lol It’s kind of sad how they have no clue about cooking healthy or even partially healthy and good sanitation practices. I’m a culinary school graduate myself and also have a degree in hospitality management and these cooks make more than most decent paying Sous Chef jobs around the country plus tons of time off and killer benefits.