Offshore cook job/school

I’m looking for a better cook job. I have 3 years experience, a twic, safe gulf, and water survival. Also if anyone has info about the son of seacook school in alabama I would love to hear it. I’m tired of catering companies taking my money.

[QUOTE=offshorecookdlb;71998]I’m looking for a better cook job. I have 3 years experience, a twic, safe gulf, and water survival. Also if anyone has info about the son of seacook school in alabama I would love to hear it. I’m tired of catering companies taking my money.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I can not vouch for the SeaSchool program but it seems like a lot to pay if you already have 3 years cooking exp.

Only the large US flag cargo ships, which are almost all union carry a real stew dept.

Besides that, plenty of tugs & OSV’s carry a “Cook” but they usually expect the cook to handle/throw lines, etc in addition to making the meals.

Anyways you will need a MMC, STCW-95 BST and a passport.

If you really want to start over, look into the SIU U/A program in beautiful Piney Point, MD.

If you go through the program you will come out a “Certified Chief Cook” and be qualified to work on the SIU contracted ships… I bet you will make way more doing that than working offshore on the rigs.

Have you tried the search function on this site? An interesting thread earlier this month that mentioned cook jobs on the Great Lakes:

OSVs have cooks and they LOVE actual professional cooks. Try some of the larger osv companies.

I know Hornbeck has their own cooks and only uses third party cooks when necessary. If you have experience put them on your list. Our cooks are not expected to throw lines chip or paint. They cook three meals and keep the galley mess deck are clean.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;72005]I know Hornbeck has their own cooks and only uses third party cooks when necessary. If you have experience put them on your list. Our cooks are not expected to throw lines chip or paint. They cook three meals and keep the galley mess deck are clean.[/QUOTE]

I wholly agree that’s the way it should be, why hire a cook to just have them doing dirty work outside or throwing lines when the guys would appreciate a hot snack or a well-cooked meal after casting off… ?

But some (many…most???) companies don’t view the cook as a professional, they expect him to wear more than just a chef hat.

When you get a good cook he is worth his weight in gold. Nothing like a hot meal at regular times of the day. Beats the hell outta ramen noodles , ham sandwiches and hamburger helper or any of the nutritious frozen goodies most freezers are stocked with. I’m not a teenager playing Xbox all day and night hot pockets and mountain dew don’t cut it for grown men. I remember when all the cooks were gone and now it’s nice they are a regular member of the crew again. It’s good for morale to have a decent cook onboard.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;72028]When you get a good cook he is worth his weight in gold. Nothing like a hot meal at regular times of the day. Beats the hell outta ramen noodles , ham sandwiches and hamburger helper or any of the nutritious frozen goodies most freezers are stocked with. I’m not a teenager playing Xbox all day and night hot pockets and mountain dew don’t cut it for grown men. I remember when all the cooks were gone and now it’s nice they are a regular member of the crew again. It’s good for morale to have a decent cook onboard.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like cooks have made a comeback on OSV’s down in the GoM, sure hope so! More jobs for us as mariners and better food for all the crew!