Looking to break into the cooking/stewards department

Hey all!

I’m brand new here and have A LOT of questions. I left my shore based job as a project coordinator for a naval architecture and engineering firm a couple years ago because it turns out I sort of hate working in an office. I went to culinary school and now that I’m done I’m looking for a new career (I’m currently working part time as a personal chef). I have a large network of friends who are merchant mariners and I really like their lifestyle. They are all mates, however, and don’t have much information on how to become a vessel’s cook or galleyhand, or anything in the stewards department really. They also don’t know much about any ships that are outside the union. My question sort of revolves around this- what ships ARE the best in terms of work/life balance, pay, etc. for a cook, and does anyone have any information on what it takes to break into the industry and what the experience is like? Thanks so much! I’m sure I’ll come up with some more questions…

I’d say for work/life drill rigs or ships. But have no idea about pay or benefits. We had ESS onboard my boat. Not fancy food but some took more pride in their work than others and it showed in their food. Yachts would definitely be more fancy. Lots of crewing agencies near Ft Lauderdale.

I know Trinity Catering is a company that does oil field related stuff. You could look there. I went to school with a few yacht chefs, some of them ended up with some killer deals but that really depend on the yacht owner.

I don’t know if we need any cooks, but you could call The MMP guy for the Great Lakes. Charles Malue 216 776 1667

Does anybody know anything about the Palmer or the Gould? What their sailing schedules are etc.? Also, thanks for the helpful comments!

Talk to a yacht crewing agency. The money is good and you travel a lot.

Hey Leah, military sealift command is always looking for some good cook/bakers and people in the steward department. You have you MMC already ? If you do apply online and keep in touch with HR.

[QUOTE=Leah;105381]Does anybody know anything about the Palmer or the Gould? What their sailing schedules are etc.? Also, thanks for the helpful comments![/QUOTE]

Those are Chouest boats and they hire their own cooks, but as they work foreign they most likely have locals cooking, but they are government boats so I don’t know. They will let you become an Cook/AB and you make AB pay. I don’t know what those boats schedules are probably something like 60/30 or 90/45. You need your TWIC and MMD.

The money is better in the Gulf working on their mud and anchor boats though and you work mostly 28/14.

Thanks! Do you know if they include overtime in their quoted daily rate? For instance, if they quote $180 is that all in, or is there a possibility of earning overtime? Also, if you’re working a 60/30 or 90/45, do they pay you for “vacation” time, similar to a union job?

How would I look for a job with one of the mud and anchor boats? Thanks again!!

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;105498]Those are Chouest boats and they hire their own cooks, but as they work foreign they most likely have locals cooking, but they are government boats so I don’t know. They will let you become an Cook/AB and you make AB pay. I don’t know what those boats schedules are probably something like 60/30 or 90/45. You need your TWIC and MMD.

The money is better in the Gulf working on their mud and anchor boats though and you work mostly 28/14.[/QUOTE]