"I'll gladly pay you Thursday for a Hamburger today"

A new strategy could be emerging amongst offshore companies to combat the ever increasing cost of retaining qualified merchant mariners.
The company spearheading this bold new strategy is [B]Harvey Gulf[/B].
The plan seems to center around the reviving of the once wildly popular but unsucessful business model of,
[B]“Feed them a load of bullshit and the dumb asses will gladly eat it.”[/B]
In the bold reincarnation of this plan, an employees daily rate of pay and associated benifits are kept below what the current market is demanding, in exchange for a “[B]Check’s in the mail[/B]” bonus at the age of retirement.

Highlights of the plan include:
* Being eligible for plan participation back to 2008
* Earning a credit for each day worked
* Plan is in addition to the company 401k plan
* Plan costs the employee nothing

Fricking heh!! this sounds great don’t it?

Now,[B] “The rest of the story”[/B]
* Should you be terminated, quit, etc. and return to employment at a later date, you loose all previously
accrued time.
* Daily credit will be determined at “Time of aquistion” based on the “Net” profit of aquisition if there ever is
an “Aquisition”
* Plan does not become effective until there is an “Aquisition event”
* Plan may be dissolved, discontinued, etc. at any time by the ownership of the company.

And now,(Drum roll please!) you become eligle to collect on this plan when you retire from Harvey Gulf at,
[B]70 years of age.

[/B]No wonder why mariners are knocking down the door at Harvey, just not sure if it’s to get in or get out.

I think I’ll send them a great turd in the mail…

POSTAGE DUE!

btw, how to mail stuff for free…just use the destination address as the return address and send without any postage. Package gets right there just the same for nothing! Is c.captain a genius or what?

Damn not even Turdwater is that bold.

Referencing C.Captain’s postal scheme or Harvey’s garbage plan?

I was referring to the Harvey plan. Turdwater sends you a steaming pile in a box already it’s referred to as 10/20/30 year service award.

Back in the '70s, the companies would try to get the guys to sign contracts for foreign jobs. They would withhold the cost of airfare over a few months. If you completed the contract, you received a BONUS which was your money back. There were other bonus schemes.

This plan sounds great. Where do I sign up.

[QUOTE=wheel wash;90650]A new strategy could be emerging amongst offshore companies to combat the ever increasing cost of retaining qualified merchant mariners.
The company spearheading this bold new strategy is [B]Harvey Gulf[/B].
The plan seems to center around the reviving of the once wildly popular but unsucessful business model of,
[B]“Feed them a load of bullshit and the dumb asses will gladly eat it.”[/B]
In the bold reincarnation of this plan, an employees daily rate of pay and associated benifits are kept below what the current market is demanding, in exchange for a “[B]Check’s in the mail[/B]” bonus at the age of retirement.

Highlights of the plan include:
* Being eligible for plan participation back to 2008
* Earning a credit for each day worked
* Plan is in addition to the company 401k plan
* Plan costs the employee nothing

Fricking heh!! this sounds great don’t it?

Now,[B] “The rest of the story”[/B]
* Should you be terminated, quit, etc. and return to employment at a later date, you loose all previously
accrued time.
* Daily credit will be determined at “Time of aquistion” based on the “Net” profit of aquisition if there ever is
an “Aquisition”
* Plan does not become effective until there is an “Aquisition event”
* Plan may be dissolved, discontinued, etc. at any time by the ownership of the company.

And now,(Drum roll please!) you become eligle to collect on this plan when you retire from Harvey Gulf at,
[B]70 years of age.

[/B]No wonder why mariners are knocking down the door at Harvey, just not sure if it’s to get in or get out.[/QUOTE]

Whoever came up with that brilliant retention plan must have been a fool or figured everyone else is one. Who in the world would even want to think about employment with a company that came up with such BS? If this is the kinda crap they publish what kind are they planning in private?

Jones act exemptions in the Gulf. That’s what they’re planning in private.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;90721]Jones act exemptions in the Gulf. That’s what they’re planning in private.[/QUOTE]

Such as???

Is Harvey really that bad? I work as an AB for Bouchard so I dont see anything being as crazy as it is here.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;90721]Jones act exemptions in the Gulf. That’s what they’re planning in private.[/QUOTE]

you know that I don’t think that any of the OMSA companies are going to try to go down the road to get waivers for foreign mariners because once the Jones Act bulwark that they operate behind gets cracked then the GoM can become s playing field where they aren’t the only teams playing. I see them staying right on the same road they have been travelling down now for many years. Keep outsiders out, keep their American labor just happy enough to not demand more and continue to keep raking in the obscene profits they already are. To me the biggest thing that the US GoM mariner is getting screwed on by them is not the pay but the benefits that they provide which this post only highlights. They just have no interest in providing pensions and this supposed attempt to offer something like a pension shows how not serious they are about that.

you know that I don’t think that any of the OMSA companies are going to try to go down the road to get waivers for foreign mariners because once the Jones Act bulwark that they operate behind gets cracked then the GoM can become s playing field where they aren’t the only teams playing. I see them staying right on the same road they have been travelling down now for many years. Keep outsiders out, keep their American labor just happy enough to not demand more and continue to keep raking in the obscene profits they already are. To me the biggest thing that the US GoM mariner is getting screwed on by them is not the pay but the benefits that they provide which this post only highlights. They just have no interest in providing pensions and this supposed attempt to offer something like a pension shows how not serious they are about that.

[QUOTE=c.captain;90837]you know that I don’t think that any of the OMSA companies are going to try to go down the road to get waivers for foreign mariners because once the Jones Act bulwark that they operate behind gets cracked then the GoM can become s playing field where they aren’t the only teams playing. I see them staying right on the same road they have been travelling down now for many years. Keep outsiders out, keep their American labor just happy enough to not demand more and continue to keep raking in the obscene profits they already are. To me the biggest thing that the US GoM mariner is getting screwed on by them is not the pay but the benefits that they provide which this post only highlights. They just have no interest in providing pensions and this supposed attempt to offer something like a pension shows how not serious they are about that.[/QUOTE]

Pensions are things of the past unless you have an organized bargaining unit. Contributions to a pension plan were always the biggest fear of any company. They do not want to contribute any money to a fund that they cannot use as collateral or count as future possible earnings. Most drilling companies do not have a pension plan either but they have no problem with a dollar for dollar 401k match which the supply boat companies could do without putting themselves out of business. As long as the supply boat companies agree not to have a dollar for dollar match it will remain that way. If just one were to offer such a match the others would have to follow suit. I don’t know what the medical coverage is now but last I heard it was less than the drilling companies but it cost the employee more even though the supply boat companies have a higher profit margin than many drillers. As long as the supply boat boys can keep the lower level license requirements as they are in the USA they are pretty much assured of a work force so from a business standpoint they have no reason but to keep doing as they have been.There may be periodic shortages of people it is only temporary.

A little responsibility goes a long way as well. I make more than enough money on even time schedule to pay my bills and still save thousands a month. I contribute to my 401k and the employee stock program. Even after those contributions, bills and food I still have a couple of thousand left over to stash away. Would a pension be nice, of course it would. Since its not available I’m not gonna cry foul and complain that it’s owed to me. I live comfortably in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. We drive new cars and go to bed with full stomachs. We have everything we need and most of what we want. With the kind of money we make we all should be able to save enough toward retirement. You’re thinking I’m used to the oilfield way so I wouldn’t know different. I was a 5 year full B book member of SIU prior to working in the oilfield. I was in class 488 at Piney Point I know how the unions work. You want to talk about non union company sponsored pension well ok. If you put it to a vote high day rate or lower pay with a pension which way do you think it would go? Everyone would want the high day rate and that’s fine with me. I can manage my money just fine. How many times have we heard of an insolvent pension plan? Id rather spend my money on hookers and blow in Vegas than some slick CFO doing it for me.

With day rates at what they are, people should have noooo problem with their own retirement. If you can’t manage the cash, its on you!!

In the 39 years I sailed, union and non-union, there were no shortage of mariners that lacked "cipherin’’ skills. I doubt it will improve much this up-tic…

we’ll I only say that true longevity and loyalty to one’s employer (if that is what the companies want) is best achieved with a financial incentive. That would be best done if the companies did in fact offer a pension or some form of bonus which was truly based on the number of years of employment there.

Those of you out there you have 15 or more years with ECO, would you not like to know that they were putting something aside for you? Same with HOS or OCLLC? Wouldn’t it be nice to know when you reach retirement, that the company did more that to just give you a nice token of all those years of service? Would it be not nice for one years pay for every 15 years? Put in 30 and get 300K and a thank you? Not like the companies couldn't afford it for a man to have spent 30 years working for you. Many men like that at OCLLC and to the best of my knowledge none have one single dollar coming to them yet the Candies family are probably worth close to a billion !

Yeah they make the money and when things are slow they lose the money. If I stay with HOS for thirty years how many downturns will I have weathered? If they keep you on payroll during those times that can add up to some significant loses for Todd. Yeah they make it hand over fist when it’s good but when it’s bad it’s bad. Over a career it can easily add up to hundreds of thousands per emoloyee to keep you on payroll during bad times. That’s why it’s important to be a good little squirrel and stow your acorns accordingly. Keeping me steadily employed over a career is good enough for me.

well that is just the way the ruling families want you to feel so you get what you get and no more