Avg. pay for New Mate Pilot

Just wondering what most comping paying for Turned Loose pilots I love company I’m at but wondering are we on a even playing field

[QUOTE=sailingthesouth;143911]Just wondering what most comping paying for Turned Loose pilots I love company I’m at but wondering are we on a even playing field[/QUOTE]

and I thought ranks and titles in the OSV world were confusing.

What the hell is a Mate Pilot?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;143914]What the hell is a Mate Pilot?[/QUOTE]

Dammit Johnny…don’t you know nothing? Mates on the inland rivers are called pilots, but not the kind that has a mega ego and an annual salary to match.

oh well, you are young so now you have been learned

[QUOTE=c.captain;143915]Dammit Johnny…don’t you know nothing? Mates on the inland rivers are called pilots, but not the kind that has a mega ego and an annual salary to match.

oh well, you are young so now you have been learned[/QUOTE]

“have been learned”?

are you taking over for Fraq’s squidbilly style grammar and syntax today?

Pilot I get. Mate I get.

But the two together makes as much sense as my current boat’s station bill… Master, Capt, Capt, Mate.

My spidey sense are going crazy with this one. For one, is a pilot mate some weird way of saying that English is not this dude’s first language. Is this person someone who spent a few hours Googling a few random topics and got mixed up in terminology. Is this person someone who is some sort of behind the scenes guy at some bullshit company who is looking how to “competitively” pay their employees. It sounds weird. It sounds suspect. It sounds like I am going to wait for a follow up.

In this case we’re all in agreement, a Pilot-Mate gets paid about 700/day minimum. Usually (almost always) the company pays travel too.

[QUOTE=sailingthesouth;143911]Just wondering what most comping paying for Turned Loose pilots I love company I’m at but wondering are we on a even playing field[/QUOTE]

You should expect anywhere between $350-$425/day depending on the company you work for, the type of work involved, experience, etc…

[QUOTE=c.captain;143915]Dammit Johnny…don’t you know nothing? Mates on the inland rivers are called pilots, but not the kind that has a mega ego and an annual salary to match.

oh well, you are young so now you have been learned[/QUOTE]

Many, many years ago I did a couple of months on a towboat on the upper Mississippi. They had a Captain, Pilot, Mate, Bosun along with 6 Deckhands, Cook, Engineer and a Striker (Oiler). The watch rotation was 6 and 6. The Captain and Bosun worked one shift and the Pilot and Mate worked the other.

In other words, about what many companies pay for an AB.

Too many types of terminology!
As I understand it…

Western rivers “pilot” = “chief mate (or just mate)” on a regular tug, stands watch opposite captain(who is the master). Drives the boat when captain (master) is not.

“Mate” on western rivers is like a senior deckhand who supervises the hands on making and breaking of tow.

so what I want to know is what “Turned Loose” is supposed to mean?

“Turned Loose” to do what?

[QUOTE=c.captain;143939]so what I want to know is what “Turned Loose” is supposed to mean?

“Turned Loose” to do what?[/QUOTE]

the wi-fi code was “turned loose” so he can spend time on here looking for a better paying gig while Mate Piloting 800 feet of barges through the Land Between the Lakes.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;143937]In other words, about what many companies pay for an AB.[/QUOTE]

You have to take in consideration that inland tug boats don’t make anywhere near the money an OSV makes. A 2,000 HP boat makes somewhere in the $4,000/day range.

Where I work we have one and soon to be more guys working the pilot watch 0001-0600,1200-1800 hr. They have mates license and work under the masters license of the Captain. They also make the exact pay as the Captain. I guess they are pilot-mates…

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;143940]the wi-fi code was “turned loose” so he can spend time on here looking for a better paying gig while Mate Piloting 800 feet of barges through the Land Between the Lakes.[/QUOTE]

I cannot image what it would be like to steer a large tow in the rivers especially downbound… Constantly making those bends and meeting other tows in them makes me queasy to contemplate…I always felt that the skill the watch officers need to do their job warrants much higher pay than they receive. From Cape Girardeau to New Orleans must have at least 50 bends to round. I have steered a single barge ahead in the Columbia River from Portland to Astoria and was exhausted at the end of my watch and that river is a piece of cake compared to the Old Man.

No longer in training [QUOTE=c.captain;143939]so what I want to know is what “Turned Loose” is supposed to mean?

“Turned Loose” to do what?[/QUOTE]

Try running between Portland to Lewiston in the spring and tell me it’s a piece of cake, that being said you do have to respect those big tows and sharp bends on the Mississippi .

The upper James River in Va isnt all that fun either, especially at night.

Maybe the tug boat business should streamline its station bill. It’s so much easier to have master, 2nd captain, 3rd captain, mate, mate in training. All of those positions make sense to me. I thought pilots were the $300k + a year guys that bashed into bridges. Do we really want these guys driving a six pack of red flags near our nations highway bridges.

And I thought I was bad in English :smiley: