How many unlimited boats out there?

Just curious about the trend I heard about while taking my DP Advanced at Kongsberg in Houston. There was alot of talk about Unlimited OSV’s coming online or already in service. Anyone have any details on companies operating these, I’m a ship guy trying to break into the OSV world, finished my DP Adv. but need time onboard and DP watches to get the NI certificate.

Hornbeck has 5-6 unlimited boats and it sounds like their 16 new builds will be unlimited

We have four of what would be considered ships working under multi service vessel rules not as osv’s. Then we have one osv over 3000 itc. The 16 with the option for 16 will all be over 3000 itc and therefore require an unlimited license or an osv license with the 6000 itc endorsement. Having DP is the biggest feather in your hat and will get you immediately hired.

True. I was just speaking in general terms as far as what boats counted as unlimited. I know the Coral is the only unlimited OSV and the other 4 are MPSVs. Someone said they thought there was one other OSV at Hornbeck that was unlimited, but your comment confirmed my thought that they only had one unlimited OSV.

Thanks for info; the MPSVs are something I would like to get into as well. Basically I just want to utilize my AGT Masters license in the industry and I’m curious which companies have the unlimited tonnage vessels to start trying to apply with (that wouldn’t have me sitting on a drill ship, my favorite part of this industry is ship handing, and figured its as good a time as any to make the change from commercial ships). Thanks again

Forgot there are two large osv’s, the HOS Ridgewind and the HOS Coral.

What vessel did you get your 30 days DP familiarization on?

DP 2 cable ship

[QUOTE=Salinity Now;61517]Thanks for info; the MPSVs are something I would like to get into as well. Basically I just want to utilize my AGT Masters license in the industry and I’m curious which companies have the unlimited tonnage vessels to start trying to apply with (that wouldn’t have me sitting on a drill ship, my favorite part of this industry is ship handing, and figured its as good a time as any to make the change from commercial ships). Thanks again[/QUOTE]

I’ll gladly trade you sitting on your drill ship with your even time schedule with better pay and benifits for my ship handling adventures throughout the GOM, 28/14(at best) schedule ,inferior pay, mediocre benifits, and oh yeah, can you cook?

Wow! Wheel Wash where do you work? Hope I don’t ever end up there. The market is jumping, now is the time to upgrade that s(h)ituation!

Ah, you must be leaving AMO. Good move.

Guess what guys , my VGM informed me today that Hornbeck has only two (2) unlimited vessels. The Achiever and Ironhorse. The 370’s are not. They just choose to man them with unlimited Officer’s. The Coral is not, just large OSV. Same with Ridgewind. Same with all the new builds.

But the Centerline and Strongline count as unlimited even under subchapter L because of the tonnage and horsepower. There are plenty I people who have upgraded to Master U/L, Chief U/L. Currently those two vessels are classed as Large OSV’s but they are crewed with unlimited officers. They both are multiclassed as crude or chemical tanker and as an OSV. At any time they could get a contract requiring the different manning indicated by the class they operate under. Even in OSV mode the time applies for all unlimited upgrades.

I would image all them boats would have to be considered unlimited since captains on there have been able to go from 1600 master to unlimited 3rd mate. One would think that tonnage is tonnage no matter what the vessel is.

Thats my thought. A large OSV is still unlimited tonnage, there is just an exemption allowing limited officers to run them.

Ummmmm…Duh.

On a similar note: is it advisable to pay my own way through a DP course without ever sailing on a DP vessel?

You will have to start with the Basic DP course, approx 4 days in the classroom then get 30 days on board experience on the desk and logged in your DP log book. Then you can do your Advanced Simulator course, also approx 4 days, and then back on board sea time logged in your log book, signed by the Captain or SDPO, and then go online to the NI (Nautical Institute) to submit everything to NI London. They check everything and if everything is true and valid certs, and sea time on the desk you will be issued with a full unlimited certificate and a new logbook.
A bit of a Pain in the butt but it’s worth it, trust me. As for payment, well some companies still do pay your way for the course but I paid everything myself. It’s up to you. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;61727]Thats my thought. A large OSV is still unlimited tonnage, there is just an exemption allowing limited officers to run them.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sorry to say but large OSV’s are not unlimited tonnage vessels because of their very class which grants them reduced manning from an unlimited tonnage ship. I have been clearly on record saying that I feel this is BS which disenfranchises those of us with unlimted licenses and I can only hope that the Coast Guard makes it just a bit more difficult for a limited tonnage mariner to get a large OSV endorsemenr when large OSVs go above 6000grt. Somwthing makes me sadly believe that it will be the same old game of the USCG giving the store away to the OMSA.

Semantics, but the time still counts. I know people that got their chief mate/1st A/E time on them to get their Master/ChEng unlimited. I still don’t understand the mentality of why a limited license guy working his way up. They still have to stand the watches and the time at sea. You know how many unlimited masters come down to GOM and can’t even drive a boat. It’s ridiculous and having to take a chief unlimited and spoon feed them. Don’t get me wrong not all are like that and in hindsight I wished I went to an academy. If its such a pisser why are all the big time deep sea people coming down here to work.