Does Edison choust offer even time

Was wondering if E S O offers a 28/28 schedule

Yes, my friend has this in the gulf. Texas I think?

They do to those who have been there a while…not to new hires…

Can’t believe it’s been over 48 hrs before this has been asked again.

Good luck

Who is ESO?

What’s 28/28 mean?

It means you make 56,000 a year, but have to give 28,000 to the hiring agent (Joey Bagodonuts) and you get to keep the other 28,000.

I know I often rant too much here and run that risk with this post but I have to say that I truly believe that the OMSA companies could certainly afford to offer much more than they do to the mariners. Even time, travel paid w/ travel days at 50% if not full pay, a pension plan for long term service. Since most of the companies are privately held, we don’t know the exact level of their profits but guaged on the profits released by those OSV companies that are public should give a good measure of how much the privately held companies make. Even if it meant a lower day rate I feel that a better comprehensive compensation package would be very nice for all of us.

That’s my rant for today and hope it isn’t going to start a shitstorm because it isn’t intended to.

Sounds mighty fine to me, I love the idea.

Ohhhhhhh…well then I was doing 28/28 when I was in the SIU. Joey just didn’t explain it as clear as you just did though.

Ummm. No. Joeys’ job was collectin’. Bobby Bentknose was the 'splainer. But usually Bobby didn’t 'splain too good.

I remember Bobby. I always wondered why an important guy like him needed to carry a baseball bat in the front seat of his Cadillac.

Said something about his cousin from Louisville that had a hard ash for trouble. Again, I never saw that side of Bobby. or his cousin from outta town. But maybe I kept my nose clean!?

[QUOTE=c.captain;82958]I know I often rant too much here and run that risk with this post but I have to say that I truly believe that the OMSA companies could certainly afford to offer much more than they do to the mariners. Even time, travel paid w/ travel days at 50% if not full pay, a pension plan for long term service. Since most of the companies are privately held, we don’t know the exact level of their profits but guaged on the profits released by those OSV companies that are public should give a good measure of how much the privately held companies make. Even if it meant a lower day rate I feel that a better comprehensive compensation package would be very nice for all of us.

That’s my rant for today and hope it isn’t going to start a shitstorm because it isn’t intended to.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that sir, a nice pension plan based on years of service, would probably do more for long term retention than any thing else the companies could do. That is one thing most of the boat companies lack is a decent benefit package.

Just my 2 cents but I believe that Gary, Otto, Todd, and Shane are all rolling in the dough. They order new boats like they are on the clearance rack at K-Mart. I barely know how to spell million let alone right it on a check, to buy something.

OK, let me play the Devil’s Advocate (donning my Al Pacino mask) for just a second and like C-Captain I am not trying to start anything:

If the owners are getting the quality of people they want for the money they are paying, why would they want or need to pay more than that? It’s their money and their investment. Speaking personally, I would not.

It would be nice and CHOUEST does have a decent 401k program but they did not take us to raise and this is a capitalist society for now.

I will pose another question: If the pay was less but you could retire (at reduced pay) after twenty years, would you take that instead of the renumeration you are receiving now?

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;83006]OK, let me play the Devil’s Advocate (donning my Al Pacino mask) for just a second and like C-Captain I am not trying to start anything:

If the owners are getting the quality of people they want for the money they are paying, why would they want or need to pay more than that? It’s their money and their investment. Speaking personally, I would not.

It would be nice and CHOUEST does have a decent 401k program but they did not take us to raise and this is a capitalist society for now.

I will pose another question: If the pay was less but you could retire (at reduced pay) after twenty years, would you take that instead of the renumeration you are receiving now?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the owners are not going to do much unless they are forced to. It is not much different than the travel pay, or pension plan, they are probably not going to do anything until they can’t get any help. I don’t see that being a problem for a long time.

I worked for a company that had a pension, along with a 401K, unfourtantly they sold out. I got laid off, like about 50 other people.

The company I work for now has about the same 401K as everyone else, I max mine out every year. I would volunteer anyday, that next time instead of giving us a 100 dollar a day raise, give us a pension.

I am not one to jump ship for a few bucks a day, but their are alot of people that do and will, for 25 or 50 bucks. I think it would help to keep some people long term, by having benefits and a pension that you can look forward to, but only if you stay put fot a while. I can’t see where it would hurt anything except cost the owners a few bucks, but they would get to keep more experienced people, by doing it.

I have been setting up my own retirement by buying property and making some investments, but not everyone is in the situation to be able to do that.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;83011]I think it would help to keep some people long term, by having benefits and a pension that you can look forward to, but only if you stay put fot a while. I can’t see where it would hurt anything except cost the owners a few bucks,[/QUOTE]

I honestly think that in the end it would cost the owners less to offer lower day rate but better benefits including pensions because when a person leaves before becoming 100% vested, the company gets to keep the money left behind. Offer some real profit sharing as well that is tied to longevity or combine the two. The higher the company profits the better the annual contribution to the pension fund.

Still as ChiefRob says, until they have to in order to keep the boats moving, offering such benefits aren’t gonna be forthcoming.

What about slow times? If pensions were offered and it was slow are you stuck not working to save your pension? (I’ve never worked the gulf just an outsiders question)

[QUOTE=rshrew;83024]What about slow times? If pensions were offered and it was slow are you stuck not working to save your pension? (I’ve never worked the gulf just an outsiders question)[/QUOTE]

After the DWH incident there were some lay offs from a few companies,(I don’t want to throw out names because that will start a war) most like the one I work for asked for volunteers to go even time, or forced people to go even time. As long as enough people did that, there were no lay offs. The GOM companies seem to be a little better about things like that, than a big corporation. Just my opinion.

Personally I lost a little time during the ordeal but I never got laid off. Once again that should be a benefit of being a long term employee, is to get to work when the green guys are sitting at home.

Just my 2 cents again.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;83027]After the DWH incident there were some lay offs from a few companies,(I don’t want to throw out names because that will start a war) most like the one I work for asked for volunteers to go even time, or forced people to go even time. As long as enough people did that, there were no lay offs. The GOM companies seem to be a little better about things like that, than a big corporation. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

For the love of God man…why do the GoM OSV people want to work 28/14? WHY?