How to best use Lapware

Would appreciate hearing excactly how you utilized the vast program that is Lapware.

My main focus is on the 70’s, Deck and Nav Gen and Safety.
I was told to and have been doing as many tests as possible. I read the question then answer, then go back and take the test at least twice, noting in correct answers so I can go back and hit them again.

In my final few weeks I planned to use the review question function as Lapware strongly urges. I’d love to but even after puting in my code there are hundreds of questions.

So…what I really want to know is are there any of you out there that just did a ton of practice tests and passed? If any of you used mainly the review question section, how’d you approach it?

Btw

What i meant to say by “my main focus is on the 70’s” is not to say I’m not focused on the tougher modules. I have a study plan in place for those thats workin well.

.Like you’re doing it seems Keep taking those entire modules in their entirety to start. After you develop a trend of what types of questions you’re getting wrong you can more or less just generate pages and pages of those questions…its been a few years so I can’t say for sure exactly how though. I’d hit a few pages of questions in a sitting, for me it was like fuel consumption and ex-meridians. I never printed off or reviewed questions with the explanation until after I tried–I focused on using the relevant exam room reference material only, unless I got stumped then used the lapware explanation. With that kind of program you can just run through an amazing number of questions; seems to be the way to go. Sorry I am not more helpful as I haven’t used it in a few years But will be again in a month or two; I have 1 or 2 modules to take but even at that I think its worth it. I DEFINITELY never reviewed anything with the correct answer identified until I worked it out.

As far as rules…take a few exams a day. Rapid fire. Reckon I’d do 2-3 when I woke up, a few at lunch, and a few more every evening until I had the colregs memorized!

I spent nearly and entire 2 week hitch at berths and anchor before my last round of exams and repped out hundreds of questions a day through repetition; no surprises in the exam room and that way you really can home in on weaknesses through that volume of studying.

For those 3 tests I usually just chug through random questions in the review questions mode. If you really go at it you can eventually get through the thousands of questions at least once. Also another good way to do it is to spend a study session on a particular topic. Like one session just on meteo in Nav gen, another just on stability in deck safety. To keep it varied I use an equal amount of time each day split between those three, unless I’m doing celnav or near coastal.

What LI_Domer said; I used the “general” subjects as a break for my brain between the 90% modules.

Do what they all recommend above. With Deck Safety I reviewed through all 403 Maritime law questions for the 3M/2M exam the night before and it helped out a lot. Nav gen I went through the Nautical Astronomy before. As you are studying you will see your weak areas. I spent 40 hours one week working out every stability question in the Murphy books and never worked another one out until I was in the room at the REC. Your T- Nav and C- Nav once you have one type of problem down it doesn’t make sense to waste your time taking full tests. Get your Azimuths, Amplitudes, LAN, Lat by Polaris, Morning sun line/LAN, and your 3 Star fix down, and put them to the side. With the T- Nav I would just choose one or two different types of 2 bearing/distance off/ ETA problems a week and called it good. With the 70% tests just sit down and take one, review your worst subjects and repeat. I would sit at my part time car wash job and take a ROR in 15 mins, and a deck gen in 20 mins. I would take 2-3 of each every shift I worked. Deck Safety and Nav Gen it is nice to have reference material in front of you so you can learn how to look up and find things.

Be careful with the Lapware tests. It doesn’t do a very good job of ‘randomizing’ the questions. If you take 10 Deck General tests, you’ll see the same questions several times. You can feel like a genius and then walk into the room and see questions you’ve never seen before.

Go through every Rules question - there’s only 1100 or so. Five hours or so and you’ll have seen every question they can ask you.

In training or study mode you can sort by the 90% and 70% most missed questions via the bottom drop down menu. I focused on those and passed 7/7. In training mode, just above the main window, small texts shows the reference that the answer came from – that’s pretty handy too.

Ironic you just posted this. I’m studying for a tonnage upgrade exam in a few weeks and had questions regarding this same topic… So I emailed Mr Richard Plant, himself, the man behind Lapware (with Capt. Murphy?) just last week. He highly recommends using the ‘review’ study functionality of Lapware, instead of generating tests to study. He stated that exposure to all possible questions in any given module is much better than spending lots of time doing ‘tests’ that will repeat questions. (I would paste his email in here but wouldn’t want to do so without his permission, and I’m paraphrasing, he responded in much more detail. He is contactable through Lapware by email and has responded in detail and promptly on both occasions I had to email him.) I believe he is right. It took me possibly more time to do all the questions in every module I have to take, and even longer to go back and use ‘retake wrong’ in each module, but, I am much more confident going in now to take the tests. In the end, the idea is really to master the material, anyway. I can’t wait for these exams to be over, myself, but I’m glad a lot of the information I’ve studied will remain with me for the long term. Cheers and best of luck!!

[QUOTE=New3M;126818]Be careful with the Lapware tests. It doesn’t do a very good job of ‘randomizing’ the questions. If you take 10 Deck General tests, you’ll see the same questions several times. You can feel like a genius and then walk into the room and see questions you’ve never seen before.

Go through every Rules question - there’s only 1100 or so. Five hours or so and you’ll have seen every question they can ask you.[/QUOTE]

I recently used lapware while preparing for my DDE and it was great help. I will say this though. When I was doing my general module I came across a bunch of electricity questions I never saw after a month of using lapware in addition to my other study materials. I guess the lesson I learned is you can never be too prepared going into the REC.

Thanks to everyone for your awesome responses. I think this thread will be quite helpful to many folks going forward.

I’m curious how you’re actually going through the review questions. Thus far nobody has mentioned using the “training mode” (question and answer). For me, I have no clue the answer to many of the questions. Are you looking at a question, guessing (on the ones you have no clue about) then reviewing the correct answer and moving on?

Captain Joe’s software which I’ve used, advocates reading the questions and answer only then re-taking that section 3 times. What I’ve decided to do (subject to change of course) is use training mode (see the answers) for a whole section at a time. I’m 100 questions into maritime law in the safety module. Then go back and answer the questions further utilizing the “wrong answers” feature. This will work for sure but geez the safety module has 2,097 questions which means I’ll have to go through the questions 4,184 times just to get to the valuable “wrong answers” questions.

Keep in mind I didn’t invent this method simply doing what Captain Joe’s software advocates. So…how exactly are you guys doin this? Are you simply lookng at the question attempting an answer then after seeing the answer moving on and only reviewing the "wrong answers? That might be quicker?

I had no intention of focusing this much on the 70’s. Was just going to do a ton of tests review the wrong answers and move on.

Thanks!

Well 15 minutes after my previous post I realized theres no way my plan is realistic.

I’ve tried out and will go with the following plan (for at least the next 15 minutes);

Review the question as soon as I realize I don’t know it at all review the answer and move on. I’ll see it again in the wrong answer section. If I possibly know the answer I’ll review all answers and see if I get it right. This way I will go through 2,000 question per module then 40 percent (guesstimate) of them in the wrong answer review.

Also, very realistic is I take the advice of a mate I work with that did a ton of Lapware tests and passed all the 70’s no problem, first try.

Still want to know how you’all are goin about it.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Hawespiper5;126835]Well 15 minutes after my previous post I realized theres no way my plan is realistic.

I’ve tried out and will go with the following plan (for at least the next 15 minutes);

Review the question as soon as I realize I don’t know it at all review the answer and move on. I’ll see it again in the wrong answer section. If I possibly know the answer I’ll review all answers and see if I get it right. This way I will go through 2,000 question per module then 40 percent (guesstimate) of them in the wrong answer review.

Also, very realistic is I take the advice of a mate I work with that did a ton of Lapware tests and passed all the 70’s no problem, first try.

Still want to know how you’all are goin about it.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You are making this too complicated, scattering your efforts, and wasting time.

First, use training mode to do all of the rules of the road questions. Do at least 100 questions a day if you are at sea, and a least 500 questions per day. If you are ashore. Just do rules of the road. By the time you have done all the questions you should be getting 95 percent right. Then do a simulated rules of the road exam every day. Do it fast 100 questions in about half an hour without over thinking it. Learn the rules of the road cold before you start on anything else. You should be getting high 90s on all the rules of the road exams. This will give you confidence.

Now you are ready to move on to the next sections. If you have a decent general knowledge of the topics the 70 percent sections are pretty easy. If you lack general knowledge they could seem difficult. If you have not taken The STCW courses yet, take them first to learn the background. Pick one of the 70 percent sections and kill it. Then move on to the next one.

Very few people can teach themselves T-Nav and celestial. You need to know those topics pretty well before Lapware can help you. Most people need to go to a formal school for these topics.

[QUOTE=“tugsailor;126842”]

You are making this too complicated, scattering your efforts, and wasting time[/QUOTE]

Tug
Ya know awhile back I posted a question and you replied telling me to quit wasting time. Now again you start by giving me tbe awrsome advice, quit wasting time. I can tell you mean well from all the effort you put into your answers but brother you certainly know how to piss someone off. So… stop wasting time yourself, for starters you expended alot of energy telling me how to study ROR. If you RTFQ you’d know Ive got that handled and wasn’t seeking advice on that, just the 70’s. Next time I ask for advice feel free not to waste anymore of your time.

So who was wastin time?

Maybe you need to learn how to use all the reference material that’s available to you better.

[QUOTE=“LI_Domer;126882”]Maybe you need to learn how to use all the reference material that’s available to you better.[/QUOTE]

Let me re-state my original question. My only question relates to using Lapware to study for the 70’s. I am in Captain Bruce’s class and I’m comfortable with where I’m at with T-Nav, ROR and Chart Plot. I absolutely include practicing utiluzing the references, mostly in the classroom as Fletcher has all of them.

So back to the original question, there are aprox. 2,000 questions in each module so thats 6,000 questions, advice comes from Lapware and gcaptain posters NOT to just use tests but instead study from the huge question bank.

So…I simply wanted to know how those of you that claim its vital to study all the questions are specifically going about it.

As far as Tugs comments that I’m scattered and wasting time well I appreciate his concern but thats really not the case. Look I’m on the boat it Christmas time, I’m getting off the boat for an extended period to study and I’m stoked about all that but excuse me if I’m takin a break from serious study, that’ll start Monday morning. So I’m using this down time to get my arms around Lapware (which I just bought the other day) so that I don’t waste time come Monday morning.

And btw I’ve come up with a workable plan to use the question review part of Lapware.

Merry Christmas!

for the 70’s I went through and used the review function mostly. As I came to sections I was less comfortable with, I would filter those out and spend a little bit more time on them. if there was a question I repeatedly got wrong I tried to find a way to memorize it (usually some of those one’s were pretty unique and I could come up with some sort of word association). Other questions I would just not worry about. 21 questions is a very generous amount to get wrong. sometimes you have to recognize your weaknesses accept them, and move on. The amount of information in those three sections alone is enough to drive you crazy and spending absurd amounts of hours on one section that you don’t have down 100% is even crazier. Good luck and remember to RTFQ, it’s so damn easy to get burned on a question that looks a lot like another!

Yes take a few tests to find you weak areas; THEN use lap-ware in another mode to whack only those question types you have difficulty with. Remember a lot of that stuff can be looked up (bowditch glossary, coast pilot, light list) so concentrate on what can’t. Be proficient with the CFR’s…way too many guys have a hard time because they can’t look stuff up.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;126890”]Yes take a few tests to find you weak areas; THEN use lap-ware in another mode to whack only those question types you have difficulty with.[/QUOTE]

Now that’s some solid advice. Thanks!

In my book this is huge, having a little patience with yourself, really learning to use the CFR’s is going to take a lot of stress off on the actual test day. Don’t fall into the generation facebook trap either of just using the online CFR’s with a search function. While I was taking my last tests for master I shit you not a kid asked if he could access the electronic CFR’s while in the testing room. He had never cracked open the actual books!

As for lapware I was always a fan of just using the review section until you have done all of the questions, and then redoing the wrong ones. Honestly though with the 70 pass sections, if you can read, the glossary and bowditch and the CFR’s should damn near get a geek off the street a 70.