How to become a B book

Hi I’m currently a C book & working on the pride of America in the utility galley dept & I would like to move up and work in deck or engine dept… what would be my best option of school / courses I should take ?

Why don’t you talk to your union representation. Oh wait. You’re SIU. Tough luck

4 Likes

I’m in seatu union not siu. Thanks.

This is a legitimate “union” under SIU apparently (at least Michael Ballsacco is named as the president)

I stuck two fingers down my throat to vomit but it didn’t work well enough. Oh god. I feel a little ill.

1 Like

The one in the middle is calling to me…

2 Likes

I had to look this up and it appears you are in a sub marginal union within a marginal union. The good news is that all of your union officers look to be the same. Must be nice to get multiple large paychecks for doing the same do nothing job.

Do they let you vote in this ‘seatu’ thing? At least in SIU they pretend like the membership has control of the union.

Again. Tough luck

4 Likes

I thought we weren’t allowed to post pictures of cadets?

1 Like

Those are not cadets. The picture was taken from the Union’s newsletter.

1 Like

You have few options. One is to go through SIU’s apprentice program. It would mean starting from scratch but it would get you your ‘B’ book. You could transfer over or basically join the SIU as a ‘C’ Book and hope you eventually get enough time to get your ‘B’ Book. Once you get enough covered time you could then begin taking classes at their school to upgrade. You might consider checking out the SUP when you get time in Honolulu (707 Alakea St., Honolulu HI 96813 (808) 533-2777) and see what they have to say.

2 Likes

You sure that’s not a dude?

5 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

2 Likes

Just curious, what’s all your beef with the SIU? Have you sailed SIU?

My beef is that I have stood countless watches and sailed most of my career with SIU members who either don’t see the wool being pulled over their eyes or bitch incessantly about how crooked their leadership is. The union (I’m being kind with the term) operates with a subjective list of shipping rules that change at the whim of whomever decides who should stay and who should go. I’ve also seen more than enough decent sailors given the short end of the stick while the union bends over backwards to protect the weakest seamen in their ranks.

When you hear enough complaining and see so many shady things go down but only get a shrug when you ask a member why they don’t vote these bums out, you’ll be where I am. I don’t have many better feelings about my own officers union but at least I know that we can vote the leadership out and try to get some change and not feel shafted all the time. We have in the past. When’s the last time you saw some fresh blood in the actual leadership of SIU?

4 Likes

I[quote=“DamnYankee, post:14, topic:50205, full:true”]
My beef is that I have stood countless watches and sailed most of my career with SIU members who either don’t see the wool being pulled over their eyes or bitch incessantly about how crooked their leadership is. The union (I’m being kind with the term) operates with a subjective list of shipping rules that change at the whim of whomever decides who should stay and who should go. I’ve also seen more than enough decent sailors given the short end of the stick while the union bends over backwards to protect the weakest seamen in their ranks.

When you hear enough complaining and see so many shady things go down but only get a shrug when you ask a member why they don’t vote these bums out, you’ll be where I am. I don’t have many better feelings about my own officers union but at least I know that we can vote the leadership out and try to get some change and not feel shafted all the time. We have in the past. When’s the last time you saw some fresh blood in the actual leadership of SIU?
[/quote]

Fair enough. I am sailing as an officer in SIU but haven’t really been exposed to the corruptness, then again I’ve only been a member for a year and a half. Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

I heard more cons than pros about going to that school so I’m trying to look at other schools or options. That apprentice program will be my last result if all else fails.

I think the SIU can be a good stepping stone to further your career. However seeing the pension they get for the amount of time they put in, I wouldn’t do it long term

1 Like

If you’re serious, join academy. If you just want to stay unlicensed, at least for the time being, join SUP.

It depends on the contract. G &H and Crowley ATBS have a really solid retirement set up.

1 Like

SIU has produced many a successful sailor. Training and sea time sends you up the ladder. Best to keep a positive attitude.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll hand you a bucket of paint to go out and paint on your watch in driving rain en route to Antarctica for $12 an hour and tell you to stay positive :grinning: