How to become a B book

What’s sup?

https://www.sailors.org

PM me for more details

Hi I’m not sure how to pm ok g caption

Click the name and use the message button.

Just curious, how does SUP work? Do they they have A, B, C books? How long does a new member have to wait for his first ship?

A B C and D- registrants. I believe it’s about 30 days to get to C, most likely through stand by jobs. Chances are slim but SIU is not much better as a C.

A lot of companies have similar retirement and it’s not that great now that there’s a 360 day cap on how much you can earn in a year.

I retired @ 56 before the cap. It’s still not bad on the Inland contracts as far as I’ve heard. The formula is still the same. With 7300 days, it’s 40% of your best 5 year average of your last 10. 2% more for each additional year. An AB/Tankerman making $100K would draw $40K pension with 7300 days.

Does that include days of vacation or is that sailing days only?

That’s sailing. On the better contracts the companies paid 2 for one contributions for the pension. Before the cap, if you worked 200 days you got 400 credit. Now it’s capped at 365 per calendar year…

Please tell me where you can make that kind of money as an AB (not SIU for sure). Maybe if you never went home??

I think the Crowley ATBs pay over $500 for AB/Tankermen.

That’s 20.5 years at 2-for-1 and requires you to stay at SIU companies the whole time. For a career AB it’s not horrible but it isn’t nearly the same as before the cap.

I don’t think that’s the case anymore, last time I talked to guys who’d been on there. I don’t think think Ballsacco would allow that much money to be paid to his slaves

1 Like

Of the 39 years I sailed, the last 24 was SIU with 2 companies. The first company was 17 years. With the 2 for 1, I accrued right at 6500 days credit. The first 4 years of the last 7 was in a new-build program, 8 or 9 months each year and the last 3 were equal time. The 2 for 1 worked out well for me.

It’s definitely the case, with another 2 percent coming next year.

G&H is also inland which is a whole nother ball game to Deep Sea (see having a permanent gig and actually being employed by the company)

Which if I’m recalling correctly from my deep sea time, the actual permenent gigs are few and inbetween.

Also a lot of the Unlicensed Deep Sea guys I sailed with seemed to have this us vs them mentality when it came to officers, Where as inland where most of the unlicensed want to get their license with current officers training and guiding.

To answer the Op.

I suggest the unlicensed apprentice program still, its a great stepping stone

1 Like