Hornbeck Hiring

I have seen that Hornbeck is hiring, what are people’s opinions on that company and job security? I have read bad things here lately and so would be less likely to leave a decent paying steady job to try to move up to OSVs and break into the Gulf. Is their OSV sector going strong and just the towing side sketchy?

They are sending some supply boats to Brazil…

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;51327]I have seen that Hornbeck is hiring, what are people’s opinions on that company and job security? I have read bad things here lately and so would be less likely to leave a decent paying steady job to try to move up to OSVs and break into the Gulf. Is their OSV sector going strong and just the towing side sketchy?[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t really answer the question though. I don’t want to leave a stable company for one that is sketchy and having issues. How stable are they? Didn’t they just lay people off a few months back?

EVERYBODY laid off the dead wood a few months back. Now they are looking to reprime the pump.

I think that question kind of answers it self ‘Leave a stable company for one that is questionable in it’s stability?’ Give me a break!!!11[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;51375]That doesn’t really answer the question though. I don’t want to leave a stable company for one that is sketchy and having issues. How stable are they? Didn’t they just lay people off a few months back?[/QUOTE]

I can tell you that all these osv companies are pretty much the same. There is not much difference between them. If you are moving on to a different field is different. When I was considering leaving Chouest, the last thing I wanted was to come crawling back with my tail between my legs and I didn’t want to screw myself either. I got lucky and moved on to the drilling side. I did not even consider Chouest competitors because I knew that I would not be happy there at all. Security is tough to leave, but sometimes necessary to push yourself to another level.

1 Like

That applies to every segment of our industry. It doesn’t matter if you’re working OSV’s or bulk carriers on the Lakes. Every comapany sucks. They all have some redeeming qualities as well, but bottom line is profit. The mariner is nothing but overhead. If they could automate our jobs they would do it in a heartbeat. And I don’t blame them. I would be looking to maximize my profits too if I was an owner.

[QUOTE=stevefoster;51390]I think that question kind of answers it self ‘Leave a stable company for one that is questionable in it’s stability?’ Give me a break!!!11[/QUOTE]

Thats why I was asking about them. I don’t know how they are as a company and I was looking for opinions. I have heard bad things about at least their towing side and wanted to know what the consensus was on the OSV side of the company.

Capt. Lee, it is a sector change. I am coming from towing and want to get into OSVs. I probably wouldn’t get hired by Hornbeck because they are asking for DP certified people and I am not but I may apply anyway and see.

[QUOTE=]

Capt. Lee, it is a sector change. I am coming from towing and want to get into OSVs. I probably wouldn’t get hired by Hornbeck because they are asking for DP certified people and I am not but I may apply anyway and see.[/QUOTE]

I think Hornbeck is just as good as any osv company. If I had to choose I would start with Chouest, then Otto Candies, Hornbeck, GOL, Aries, Laborde, Seacor, Tidewater. You will have a better shot getting on with a company like Chouest, Seacor on an anchor handler. They do have dp systems and they like people with towing endorsements. Could be an angle you haven’t considered.

Yes, I have considered that. Chouest seems interested in me but currently has no openings. Are any of the anchor handlers big enough to need a Master OSV-6000?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;51426] Are any of the anchor handlers big enough to need a Master OSV-6000?[/QUOTE]

That’s a good one.

Chouest was responsible for the invention of that license. So yes, most all of their anchor handlers require that license at a minimum.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get even time over at Chouest as an A/E?

[QUOTE=anchorman;51427]That’s a good one.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for not understanding that an “Anchor Handler” could also be considered an “Offshore Supply Vessel”. I thought they were two different classes of boat. Hence the question. Remember, I’m just a stupid tug boater…

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;51424]I think Hornbeck is just as good as any osv company. If I had to choose I would start with Chouest, then Otto Candies, Hornbeck, GOL, Aries, Laborde, Seacor, Tidewater. You will have a better shot getting on with a company like Chouest, Seacor on an anchor handler. They do have dp systems and they like people with towing endorsements. Could be an angle you haven’t considered.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Would you describe your rating system as being based on quality or life, money, company staying power, or just in general overall terms? I have heard from “the greatest” to “the worst” about Chouest. Never hear anything about Otto Candies. Hornbeck seams to lean toward the bad side. Since these are all opinions and relevant to the speakers own experience and they might have very little truth in them I would be curious to get a outsiders opinion on the companies listed above.

[QUOTE=MKAE09;51437]Does anyone know if it is possible to get even time over at Chouest as an A/E?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I have a few academy guys in the bridge, a Kings Pointer and a Texas A&M grad, working 28/28 while completing C/M courses, and I also have (2) Maine Maritime A/E’s working 28/28 because they want to. Walking through the door, I would say no, but if you are in a situation where there is a guy that wants the same thing - sure, work it out and let management know. Generally, they could care less as long as the vessel is covered.

It is just my opinion overall. If I were applying at osv companies this would be my preferences. I hear things and talk to people. I see their boats and what they look like. Pay always is important. Future opportunities. Things like that.

1 Like

Anchorman and Lee…Thanks for all the good input. I’m looking to get back to the commercial side of things so it’s good to read “insider’s” opinions on everything.

Is it worth literally driving to Louisiana to turn in resumes/apps, or just phone work and emails?

Yes, it can be worth it.

Thanks anchorman