Big OSV companies

I know the job market is bad. I have 5.5 years as an AB on tugs. I have been equal time but our new schedule is 6/3. Im not a fan of it at all. I know it’s a mix schedule in the gulf right now. I am trying to move forward in my career and get a license. Would I be crazy to attempt to switch to OSVs. I wouldn’t apply to any small companies. From what I’ve read Hornbeck has laid off a good bit of people. I also read Chouest isn’t offering classes right now. Is this true? I live in the south so it wouldn’t cost anything to apply to them.

6/3…ouch.

If you were dead set on switching, might be good to wait until things turn around?
No industry is completely safe, but since you are already established where you are, would it be better to get your ticket where you are at and get a MOT?

Oh yeah I forgot to include we don’t really have a training program since it’s a oil barge company

6/3 holy crap thats torture. Where do you work do I know not to bother applying there. Bouchard?

[QUOTE=kfj;163314]Oh yeah I forgot to include we don’t really have a training program since it’s a oil barge company[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I think its going to be hard to find an employer that will pay for advancement these days, and probably for a while. Too many people with the paper already out there.
My company, for instance, is only reimbursing for these stcw gap classes…they’ve haulted on anything else pertaining to original/renewals/upgrades.

I’m not really looking for anyone to pay. Just hands in experience once I get a license

Apply at other tug companies in the NE. You work @Bouchard so companies know you’ve eaten the shit sandwich already.

Bottom line is it doesn’t hurt to apply. Stay diligent. Times are tough but hiring is always happening for one reason or another. Nobody can sit here and tell you if you’ll find a job or not.

[QUOTE=Gofast;163322]Nobody can sit here and tell you if you’ll find a job or not.[/QUOTE]

I know. I was just curious from people who are in that side of the industry and also curious if Chouest school was open or closed. I do appreciate everyone’s feedback thom

The common thread on here from chouest people is that they always have an opening for a good person once in a while; the reason given is they are so big they are always firing someone, failing a drug test, or retiring. Right place at the right time; but advancement will be tough which will create another shortage of good Mariners in the long run.

[QUOTE=kfj;163323]I know. I was just curious from people who are in that side of the industry and also curious if Chouest school was open or closed. I do appreciate everyone’s feedback thom[/QUOTE]

I’ve been wanting to get into tugs again, had a couple offers last year I wish I would have followed through with…especially with how things are looking. Advancement is slow going no matter where you’re at right now it seems.
The chouest school being closed is a new one…I have a few friends there and they haven’t mentioned that.

Chouest’s school is very active and holding classes. You can check out the different classes by going to Chouest.com and clicking on HSE at the bottom of the web page. You’ll see a training calendar afterwards. Chouest isn’t always firing people, you have to be a total screwup for that to happen, and only after shifting about 5 boats, does that come an option. Chouest consists of over 200 boats and has over 200 companies now under the Chouest umbrella. It’s only natural that they will have openings pop up. If you already live in the South, make up a really good resume and put something in it to stick out. I heard one guy added an 8x10 photo in his and Nicky Collins called him the minute he had a position. Showing up in khakis, a polo, and ready to work is also a big bonus.

I didn’t mean like the old Bouchard, but rather the number of people who get fired is larger at a big company like that than at a smaller one by reasons of scale alone.

[QUOTE=kfj;163312]I know the job market is bad. I have 5.5 years as an AB on tugs. I have been equal time but our new schedule is 6/3. Im not a fan of it at all. I know it’s a mix schedule in the gulf right now. I am trying to move forward in my career and get a license. Would I be crazy to attempt to switch to OSVs. I wouldn’t apply to any small companies. From what I’ve read Hornbeck has laid off a good bit of people. I also read Chouest isn’t offering classes right now. Is this true? I live in the south so it wouldn’t cost anything to apply to them.[/QUOTE]

You can get your license right where you ate now. Just study while at sea, and go take a course on your time off. Once you actually have a license — not just talking about a license ---- the officers on your current tug may start to take an interest in training you.

I can tell very quickly which deckhands and mates have potential and are worth my effort to train them, and which are unlikely to move up from where they are now.

Training program? Get up early and stay up late to get wheel time, that’s your training program.

Also as an officer I’m wasting my time training unless your at least banging out a class every time your home for your upgrading. Even better if I see you studying for your test.

Good for you not expecting a company to pay for your classes. Fletcher and Young Memorial are very affordable and since you already live in the south even better.

I’ve had people at work commend me for hawsepiping as if it’s something extraordinary. I’m not doing it for anyone but myself. I see it as a personal challenge and I don’t let obstacles like a lack of classroom training stop me. All grousing aside, I get a lot out of each hitch and always manage to learn something new, even in spite of myself. You can, too. Think of the ship as your classroom.

Keep your chin up. Things suck right now, but it’ll get better. Meanwhile, those who did the work of self preparation will be ahead of the game.

Actually, compared to most of the past 40 years, things are really good right now.

Call Aries Marine they have 3 OSV and pay for some schools they are just outside Laffayette La
I liked them for the short time I worked there

Aries marine is a great small company. They were much larger though when I was working there. Glad to see they are still around.

Always my hero Catherder. Busted your ass and a hawespiper to prove you know the task at hand. You say you are leaving the business in the near future. Great loss, but enjoy your retirement. Utmost respect from this side. Hopefully, you have encouraged others in your domain before you leave. Catch lots of fish and make close to par.

1 Like