Heavy lift transport

My last loadout before retiring, March 2016:

As seen here; not much clearance between the flat spudcans and the ice flows:

The KANG SHENG KOU navigating the Westerschelde Photo : Mateo Witte (c)

It would be interesting to see the GZ curves during the ballasting and deballasting sequence.

This would most likely have been a lift-on/lift-off, or possibly skid-on/lift-off operation.
Ballasting sequence are in any case calculated by the Project Engineering office and approved by Warranty Surveyor’s Engineers well in advance of actual operation.

Still it sometimes become necessary to do some changes on the spot some times.
Not very popular and you better know what you are doing when making changes.

I have been both Warranty Surveyor and Superintendent/Loadmaster during loading and discharging operations on Tai An Kou, (some of them tricky) so I know this vessel fairly well. (No, not at the same time)

PS> I still have copies of ballast sequence calculations from a number of loadouts, both flo/flo, lifting and skidding operations, but I’m still bound by non-disclosure agreement so I can’t post any here.

1 Like

The only time naval officers venture into the weeds of stability apart from a once over lightly is as a submariner. In the surface navy the engineer officer is responsible for stability.
It was a long time ago but my vague recollection is that the centre of buoyancy moved from below the CG to above it and it was vital to keep the CG low while dived.

Guangzhou Salvage is delighted to inform you that their HUA RUI LONG has been safely launched on the 4th October, her significant deadweight of 82,000T associated with a DP-2 will soon be ready to enter the market of high-end ultra-heavy transport.

That looks very familiar… :thinking:

Somehow I would have expected that Dockwise would have patented the Vanguard design, but apparently that is not the case.

1 Like

Asian Hercules III loading a module on HLV Mighty Servant 3:

The MIGHTY SERVANT 3 loaded in Singapore a topside module with a weight of 3700 ton
Photo: Andre Korver ©

The BOLD TERN “drydocked” on deck of the FELS CAN DO in Singapore Photo : Andre Korver ©

“FELS CAN DO” was built for this purpose when Keppel FELS were busy and the drydock filled up with rig hulls under construction.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2972489

1 Like

The ZHI YUAN KOU outbound from the Everingen (Westerschelde) passing Wandelaar Pilot station heading for Port Said (Egypt)
Photo: Ronald Ribbe – http://www.rorifocus.nl ©
PS> Looks like she will be able to reuse the cribbing. More Wind turbine foundations??

Combi Lift completed the transportation in September of 34,550 metric tonnes of equipment for phase four of the Gazprom Amur gas processing plant in Russia’s Far East using eight barges.
Photo credit: Combi Lift.

Source: Journal of Commerce

Boskalis TRANSSHELF loaded a substation for LNG-Canada at Singapore Loyang Supply base. After loading the second unit the TRANSSHELF will depart for Kittimat.
Photo top: Andre Korver – Boskalis (c) – Photo below: Capt Jelle de Vries – Aqualis Breamar(c)

I always use post-conversion Transshelf as an example of how you can, in fact, route exhaust pipes horizontally.

1 Like

LENGTHENED AMT COMMANDER LAUNCHED AT HAT SAN SHIPYARD IN YALOVA:

Hat San shipyard in Yalova (Turkey) launched the AMT COMMANDER (TBN CD01)
the transport barge is undergoing a major conversion: 15 m lengthening for a total length of 137m; hull strengthening increase of submerging depth in free floating mode up to 12 m above deck. The barge will be owned by Malin Augustea UK Ltd, a JV formed by Augustea and Malin Goup, and will be based in Glasgow. Her first project is the launching of three type 26 Destroyers for BAE systems.

Wallenius Wilhelmsen:

I’ve always wondered how some of these lifts hold up when the weather gets hairy

All calculations and seafastenings are done for the worst case scenario, but weather routing is used to avoid heavy weather, if possible.
Calculations and preparations for every transport is checked and approved by Marine Warranty Surveyors, incl. attendance during loading and seafastening operation.
A Certificate of Approval from MWS, signed by attending Surveyor just prior to departure from loading port, is required by Underwriters.
Sometimes weather restrictions are given in Recommendations attached to the CofA.

PS> Octopus is widely used on HLV:

Heavy Lift Vessel Fan Zhou 10 in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria today.

Photo: Peter Devenish

HLV HUA YANG LONG inbound at the Westerschelde heading for the Everingen Anchorage.
Photo: Wim Kosten ©

OHT’s HLV EAGLE loaded with Jack up AXIOMA
Photo: Ivica Lazaric

Boskalis – MIGHTY SERVANT 3 transporting 2 offshore modules, with the FRANKLIN OFFSHORE cable laid Slings installed. Heerema will install these offshore modules in the coming weeks