Offshore Heavy Lifting

The big boys gets around, doing heavy lifting in both the Offshore Oil & Gas Fields and on OWF worldwide:

The rules used to be that for lifting Super-heavy lifts (>5000 m.t) the slings were always new. Now it appears that there are ways around that:

Anecdote:
In late 1980s I acted as Towmaster for Micoperi SpA ,working with the SSCV M 7000 (now S 7000) on the Veslefrikk and Gyda projects.

When they got ready to declare bankruptcy in 1989 they stopped paying their bills.
I had quite a lot of outstanding invoices but got only promises, no payment.

But before they could do so they had to complete the last lift on the Gyda project.
I knew that the slings to be used for that lift had already been installed, but the lift was still at the yard in Stavanger.

I asked my Lawyer to send a fax to Micoperi to advise them that we would take arrest in the slings unless payment was received in 7 (Seven) days.
I got a call from a VP in Micoperi begging me not to do so as they had already cut a cheque for the amount.
He even suggested that he could send a copy of the cheque to show me.
My reply; “Don’t bother with the copy. When the money is in my bank I’ll stop the action”.
Months later I got a letter from the bankruptcy trustee asking if I had any outstanding claims and informing me that unsecured claims would be paid at 10 cents per $ outstanding.
PS> I had been paid in full, so no more claims.

She is still around and impressive:

Saipem 7000 under assistance of 4 Fairplay-tugs arriving at the Nieuwe Waterweg at end of Rozenburg-Landtong opposite Hoek van Holland. Enroute to Damen-Verolme Shiprepair at Rotterdam-Botlek. Photo Arie van Oudheusden ©

In just a few days the first new TYRA II topsides will arrive for installation, and the world’s largest crane vessel SLEIPNIR is back in the Tyra Field and is getting ready for action. SLEIPNIR will lift the three topsides off the vessel and onto the jackets – a movement that requires enormous precision:

Meanwhile, the team onboard SLEIPNIR making the final checks and preparing for installation:

The BIGROLL BEAUFORT arriving from Singapore-Sembawang at the Southern Northsea with the Tyra Topsides

Photo : Flying Focus Aerial Photography www.flyingfocus.nl ©