Harry Lundeberg School

Hi. Can anyone tell me what I should be studying for to pass the SIU union hall’s test required for acceptance into the Harry Lundeberg program?
I’d like to go ahead and get a head start on that/ :P:cool::cool::cool:

How old are you.

The reason I ask…if you are under 25 just go to tongue point instead.

Admissions Candidates for the college certificate or degree programs must meet the following admissions criteria: 1. Be a member in good standing; 2. Pass an entrance examination in mathematics and English in order to present evidence of the ability to profit from the instruction the school offers; 3. Possess the prerequisite maritime vocational background for courses (have upgraded at least once in their department); and 4. Have a high school diploma or GED.

I Googled “seafarers union entrance exam”…2nd link is a PDF from the schol…hope this helps…cheers

[QUOTE=ccmetalhead;180793]Hi. Can anyone tell me what I should be studying for to pass the SIU union hall’s test required for acceptance into the Harry Lundeberg program?
I’d like to go ahead and get a head start on that/ :P:cool::cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

The reading test is just to see that you understand how to summarize content and have a good understanding of the definitions of words.

The math test is going be long hand operations. I suggest going to khanacademy.com and other similar sites you can google and practice long hand division, multiplication, subtraction and addition. You will see these for both whole numbers, fractions, and mixed numbers.

I studied for a week before i took the test and did fine.

Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any other Q’s

I’m 24. Why do you suggest tongue point?

[QUOTE=ccmetalhead;180822]I’m 24. Why do you suggest tongue point?[/QUOTE]
Go on facebook and type in SIU beef to see what type of things the members are dealing with at the SIU.

Tongue Point is free, you come out with both AB and QMED ratings, and you won’t get stuck in the trap SIU tends to set up for its members.

If you want to become an engineer, then that’s a different story…AMO’s tech program is the best way to go. You do spend time at SIU school, but will be in a different program.

[QUOTE=cajaya;180825]Go on facebook and type in SIU beef to see what type of things the members are dealing with at the SIU.

Tongue Point is free, you come out with both AB and QMED ratings, and you won’t get stuck in the trap SIU tends to set up for its members.

If you want to become an engineer, then that’s a different story…AMO’s tech program is the best way to go. You do spend time at SIU school, but will be in a different program.[/QUOTE]

Job Corps…I will pass that on to others.

When I typed in siu beef on Google all I got were results for a beef checking facility. (I don’t have fb). Would you care to elaborate more on what’s not right with piney point? This is a big decision for me and since I have already applied I’d like to know what’s what before changing my mind.

You’ll be fine, just know going in that you’re gonna hustle for a while for next to no pay.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;181073]You’ll be fine, just know going in that you’re gonna hustle for a while for next to no pay.[/QUOTE]

Fine by me. I just passed the test and obtained everything I need for phase 1. The only thing I’m worried about now is whether or not they’ll accept me. I’ve really poured my heart into my essay and reference letters(as far as getting the right people to write me the letters within the given frame of time). Do you know what the acceptance rate is or have any way of predicting my chances of getting in?

Sorry buddy I can’t answer any of your questions. Back in 91 they had a new class every 2 weeks and the entrance process was not as stringent. I went the hall asked for a packet, got all the required documents and info and dropped it back off. There was no essay or any of that nonsense. About 3 weeks after I dropped it off at the hall I got a letter in the mail. It had all the who what when where about the training. I bought a one way ticket to DC and caught a cab to the headquarter in Camp Springs. A bunch of us met up there got a bite to eat and got on a bus headed up to the school. I left four months later for my first ship and the rest is history. Back then they got you your first entry level job and that was it. I left there with a shipping card and a red probationary B book. I got my full 180 days to upgrade and went home for a month before catching the FOWT course. After that I had to fight it out with the rest of the convicts in the hall for every job I got.

Well, I guess if you insist on going there that’s your prerogotive. I’m surprised our resident hos cheerleader hasn’t steered you in the direction of their program over there.

The plus side about SIU over job corps… it [I]may[/I] take slightly less time. If it’s still set up how it was when I went, 3 months at school, 3 months on a ship, 2 months at school, you “graduate” then they guarantee you a 4 months position in the department you chose after which you must return for a month or two to upgrade to AB or Oiler and get your full B book. The problem is that those sections of school and shipboard time are not always necessarily back to back and you might have some wait time or months between them. That and you only get to choose one department.

If you go engine, they really try to get over on you. After something like a year and some change you will have your qmed- oiler (but they won’t call you a qmed and your pay will be very low. After you take the oiler class, you must work for 4 months as an oiler (on one of the less desirable contracts you may be working for 10 dollars an hour with no over time, which means $80 a day before taxes…why would you even go to sea for that kind of money???) Anyway, - after- you are done and you have your discharge in your hand you can send in an application to take the “Junior Engineer” class, which is two months long and consists mostly of power points. Then you can be a fully bonafied QMED making slightly more than the oiler wages. From my understanding that class is almost always full and people tend to have a hard time getting in. They get stuck working as oilers with oiler pay. I have heard a few stories of that going on with some individuals for years. Always missing the classes due to being at sea or the classes being full. Even if you go to the CG on your on and take and pass every single QMED exam, they will not honor it, and they do not honor courses taken at other USCG certified schools either. There is something going on there with government money and them making people take classes there that they aren’t required to. The time can drag on to two years or more, which is why the tech program is better if you want to be an engineer ( it’s 2.5 years). I don’t know how it is for the deck program.

The down side about Job Corps is that I’ve heard that it’s an entire two years also (though I’m not sure about that because the website says it’s self paced) but you do come out as both an AB and an oiler, which I think can be beneficial.

Also, at piney point, during the UA program you will work at the hotel side. They host conferences there and corporate/union events with politicians…the whole gamut. I think they push people so hard to go through their program because they need to keep a revolving door of free labor to keep their hotel facilities going. Heaven forbid they would actually have to pay for labor! You will be doing things like picking up pine cones, tearing out carpeting…things that have nothing to do with shipboard life. Another thing…something that is guaranteed, not everyone that gets accepted will get through. People HAVE to be kicked out. They do not have enough spots in the workforce for all the people they accept. Each time you are there, someone will be kicked out. They do this through demerits or write-ups ( I don’t remember which they were called) which don’t necessarily have to be for any particular reason and can be made up. I have a particular sour taste in my mouth about that because I saw a WAY larger percentage of women get kicked out then men, even more so for the non-black women. [[So, if anyone is ever on a ship and looking around and wondering why there are so few unlicensed women who aren’t black, —[U]it is because they all get kicked out during phase I at piney point[/U]–]]Same goes for men to a degree…something going on there with reverse discrimination for sure. But as long as you aren’t a white woman (which I assume you aren’t) you have a better chance.

On that note, when you get there… try to get a position right away. ANY position. That way you will have some power, it’s like being an officer you will have the power and write people up but no one will be able to write you up ( but if you do get a position…pls don’t be a douche and write people up for no reason…it doesn’t have to be thats way). I made it through as president and never wrote anyone up. I just had the delight of never having to worry about being written up. There were plenty of other douches around doing that, so there’s no reason for everyone to. How I became was kind of a strange fluke, one of the guys in charge at the time was kind of a weird dude, I got smart with him one day and then he made me president, I really have no idea how that works but wtv. You don’t have to get a huge position, just ANY position like gym monitor, rec room monitor, dorm bosun. It’s also easier to transition in to other positions once you have one, which will make getting through the program and not getting kicked out easier.

But, at the end of it all…it’s like others have said, you get through it but will still be competing heavily for jobs. I heard rumors about giving money to the port agents but it just seemed really seedy, wasn’t sure what the going rate was or who the right people to talk to about that was either, and never got to heavily in the conversation with anybody. All I know is I sat in a hall all day everyday for a month and a half with no money (riding my bike there) to find that the VP’s daughter and her bf who I had never seen before in my entire life walk in 5 minutes before job call and both pick up jobs no problem at all. Although I dont think there was any money exchanged in that instance, just blatant corruption and a rigged system.

—updated—
What people say on FB about them is true. Myself and several family members have previously worked for the establishment. None of us think it was a good idea or that the place isn’t corrupted.
That being said it is a good way to get started and get your foot in the door if that’s what you want…though a long and drawn out one…

[QUOTE=ccmetalhead;181070]When I typed in siu beef on Google all I got were results for a beef checking facility. (I don’t have fb). Would you care to elaborate more on what’s not right with piney point? This is a big decision for me and since I have already applied I’d like to know what’s what before changing my mind.[/QUOTE]

I can’t tell you anything about the school but I can tell you that 99 percent of the crap you read on Facebook is just that, crap. I just got off of it. It’s a time waster. People post bull shit just to be posting bull shit. You miss nothing by not having a page. If you got accepted to the school, give it all your effort and learn all you can. I do know that the SIU prefers its own graduates so you should be able to work soon after you graduate.

In regards to Job Corps’ Tongue Point in Astoria, Oregon:

The program is a [B]minimum of 18 months[/B], with some taking an upwards of 24 months, but you exit with the [B]ratings of both AB and QMED[/B]. You also receive a few endorsements. You must be under 25 at the time of enrollment, and earn under a certain income.

I live in Florida and was making $10/hr at 50+ hr/wk when I attempted to enroll last year. I was told I was making way too much to enroll with Job Corps, so keep that in mind before spending a day running around.

I have attached the two documents that I received about the program:
[ATTACH]4394[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4395[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;181437]Back then they got you your first entry level job and that was it. I left there with a shipping card and a red probationary B book. I got my full 180 days to upgrade and went home for a month before catching the FOWT course. After that I had to fight it out with the rest of the convicts in the hall for every job I got.[/QUOTE]

Still the same. Nothing has changed.

[QUOTE=cajaya;181479]Well, I guess if you insist on going there that’s your provocative. I’m surprised our resident hos cheerleader hasn’t steered you in the direction of their program over there.

The plus side about SIU over job corps… it [I]may[/I] take slightly less time. If it’s still set up how it was when I went, 3 months at school, 3 months on a ship, 2 months at school, you “graduate” then they guarantee you a 4 months position in the department you chose after which you must return for a month or two to upgrade to AB or Oiler and get your full B book. The problem is that those sections of school and shipboard time are not always necessarily back to back and you might have some wait time or months between them. That and you only get to choose one department.

If you go engine, they really try to get over on you. After something like a year and some change you will have your qmed- oiler (but they won’t call you a qmed and your pay will be very low. After you take the oiler class, you must work for 4 months as an oiler (on one of the less desirable contracts you may be working for 10 dollars an hour with no over time, which means $80 a day before taxes…why would you even go to sea for that kind of money???) Anyway, - after- you are done and you have your discharge in your hand you can send in an application to take the “Junior Engineer” class, which is two months long and consists mostly of power points. Then you can be a fully bonafied QMED making slightly more than the oiler wages. From my understanding that class is almost always full and people tend to have a hard time getting in. They get stuck working as oilers with oiler pay. I have heard a few stories of that going on with some individuals for years. Always missing the classes due to being at sea or the classes being full. Even if you go to the CG on your on and take and pass every single QMED exam, they will not honor it, and they do not honor courses taken at other USCG certified schools either. There is something going on with government money and them making people take classes there that they aren’t required to. The time can drag on to two years or more, which is why the tech program is better if you want to be an engineer ( it’s 2.5 years). I don’t know how it is for the deck program.

The down side about Job Corps is that I’ve heard that it’s an entire two years also (though I’m not sure about that because the website says it’s self paced) but you do come out as both an AB and an oiler, which I think can be beneficial.

Also, at piney point, during the UA program you will work at the hotel side. They host conferences there and corporate/union events with politicians…the whole gamut. I think they push people so hard to go through their program because they need to keep a revolving door of free labor to keep their hotel facilities going. Heaven forbid they would actually have to pay for labor. You will be doing things like picking up pine cones, tearing out carpeting…things that have nothing to do with shipboard life. Another thing…something that is guaranteed, not everyone that gets accepted will get through. People HAVE to be kicked out. They do not have enough spots in the workforce for all the people they accept. Each time you are there, someone will be kicked out. They do this through demerits or write-ups ( I don’t remember which they were called) which don’t necessarily have to be for any particular reason and can be made up . I have a particular sour taste in my mouth about that because I saw a WAY larger percentage of women get kicked out then men, even more so for the non-black women. [[So, if anyone is ever on a ship and looking around and wondering why there are so few unlicensed women who aren’t black, —[U]it is because the rest of them all get kicked out during phase I at piney point[/U]–]]Same goes for men to a degree…something going on there with reverse discrimination for sure. But as long as you aren’t a white woman (which I assume you aren’t) you have a better chance.

On that note, when you get there… Try to get a position right away. ANY position. That way you will have some power, it’s like being an officer you will have the power and write people up but no one will be able to write up up ( but if you do get a position…pls don’t be a douche and write people up for no reason…it doesn’t have to be thats way). I made it through as president and never wrote anyone up. I just had the delight of never having to worry about being written up. There were plenty of other douches around doing that, so there’s no reason for everyone to. How I became was kind of a strange fluke, one of the guys in charge at the time was kind of a weird dude, I got smart with him one day and then he made me president, I really have no idea how that works but wtv. You don’t have to get a huge position, just ANY position like gym monitor, rec room monitor, dorm bosun. It’s also easier to transition in to other positions once you have one, which will make getting through the program and not getting kicked out easier.

But, at the end of it all…it’s like others have said, you get through it but will still be competing heavily for jobs. I heard rumors about giving money to the port agents but it just seemed really seedy, wasn’t sure what the going rate was or who the right people to talk to about that was either, and never got to heavily in the conversation with anybody. All I know is I sat in a hall all day everyday for a month and a half with no money (riding my bike there) to find that the VP’s daughter and her bf who I had never seen before in my entire life walk in 5 minutes before job call and both pick up jobs no problem at all.

—updated—
What people say on FB about them is true. Myself and several family members have previously worked for the establishment. None of us think it was a good idea or that the place isn’t corrupted.
That being said it is a good way to get started and get your foot in the door if that’s what you want…though a long and drawn out one…[/QUOTE]

WOW! This comment is so full of lies and inaccuracies, I don’t even know where to begin. BTW … why is it that practically every second post of yours has some whine about how you were discriminated, usually in a sexist way? And, no, the VP’s daughter does not sail. Besides, there is a hall at the school. All she has to do is call Pat, instead of going to some hall & fighting it out against some A book.

Having said that, I don’t think that the OP wants to be provocative, but it sure is his prerogative.

Ha !!
https://g.co/kgs/oj0bg

[QUOTE=smoker;181516]WOW! This comment is so full of lies and inaccuracies, I don’t even know where to begin. BTW … why is it that practically every second post of yours has some whine about how you were discriminated, usually in a sexist way? And, no, the VP’s daughter does not sail. Besides, there is a hall at the school. All she has to do is call Pat, instead of going to some hall & fighting it out against some A book.

Having said that, I don’t think that the OP wants to be provocative, but it sure is his prerogative.[/QUOTE]
Um, did you not read the part that I was president? How does that equate to discrimination? I have stated that it is hard for white women to get through, I have also stated elsewhere on here that I AM NOT WHITE. I also stated that I NEVER GOT WRITTEN UP because I was [U]PRESIDENT[/U]. Wow man, I think you might have to go back a few grades, like maybe elementary school to maybe get your skills brushed up on your reading comprehension.

Not the Vice President of the whole union, the vice president of one of the regions/coasts. She does sail, I sailed with her. A regular NARCO cluster B personality type. I’m thinking that’s a requirement to be “in” with that organization. I don’t know if she still is out there. This was quite a few years back.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Flyer69;181518]Ha !!
https://g.co/kgs/oj0bg[/QUOTE]

Look, my damn phone has auto correct. I can’t argue with it over everything. When I went back to change it, it changed it to both perodite and peroxide before I could go back and get the correct word in there. I don’t even think perodite is a word. And just now, it changed the word “change” to “hang” and I had to go back and edit it again. Gimme a break.

[QUOTE=cajaya;181520]Um, did you not read the part that I was president? How does that equate to discrimination? I have stated that it is hard for white women to get through, I have also stated elsewhere on here that I AM NOT WHITE. I also stated that I NEVER GOT WRITTEN UP because I was [U]PRESIDENT[/U]. Wow man, I think you might have to go back a few grades, to maybe get your skills and brushed up on your reading comprehension.

Not the Vice President of the whole union, the vice president of one of the regions/coasts. She does sail, I sailed with her. A regular NARCO cluster B personality type. I’m thinking that’s a requirement to be “in” with that organization. I don’t know if she still is out there. This was quite a few years back.

• Updated - - -

So, Talley, a Viet Vet, is a weird man? LOL. Big effin deal that you were the president (Lower cap intended). As President, you were nothing more, but in charge of linens & cleaning supplies. Period. If, this is a measuring contest, then I, as Sr Gate Guard, not only had more authority than you, but had people under me, not dumb linens.

In your earlier posts, to be politically correct, African Americans were discriminated. Now, ‘non-blacks’. Make up your fucking mind.

According to you, everybody is biased & has issues, except pure, pristine you. You, your whole posts and rants are negative, sick and a waste of time. Fuck Off!

[QUOTE=smoker;181524]

So, Talley, a Viet Vet, is a weird man? LOL. Big effin deal that you were the president (Lower cap intended). As President, you were nothing more, but in charge of linens & cleaning supplies. Period. If, this is a measuring contest, then I, as Sr Gate Guard, not only had more authority than you, but had people under me, not dumb linens.

In your earlier posts, to be politically correct, African Americans were discriminated. Now, ‘non-blacks’. Make up your fucking mind.

According to you, everybody is biased & has issues, except pure, pristine you. You, your whole posts and rants are negative, sick and a waste of time. Fuck Off![/QUOTE]

I don’t know who Tally is. The guy who promoted me was another student. Assistant chief bosun or something like that.
Actually, I was in charge of inspecting people’s mail and packages, and I did have people under me. I only answered to the Chief Bosun and Assistant Chief Bosun. It is stupid and petty, like the cadet corps stuff. But as a result of that I didn’t get written up and no body f-ed with me. I’m just saying anyone who goes through there should try to get a position.

Let me be blunt: almost every white woman in the program while I was there got kicked out. Not one black or Latino woman, all for stupid non sense. That is not a coincidence.

One thing that I vividly remember about the place, some wierdo guy decided to break into our barracks one morning and just walk around and get his own peep show.
As a result of that, we were all penalized. The commandant told us it was our fault, because we were obviously all being very naughty girls, leaving the door open so guys could sneak in. That if it happened again we would all be written up.

The WIERDO guy did not get in trouble at all because he was a veteran and had served our country so it was his right to be a wierdo and do whatever the hell he wanted.

Later on someone caught him looking at child pornography on the library computer. He still did not get kicked out or get in trouble, yet it seemed like women were kicked out constantly for things that were completely made up or irrelevant.