I have a question about siu

do i have to go to the school in piney point Maryland to join the union… or can i just go to my local union here in jacksonville and ask to sign up here?

Do you have your credentials and a couple hundred dollars? You can join.

Pretty sure it is what seadog said. You can show up with credentials, some money, then they will make you take a physical. If you pass that you are in. Let me know how it goes, I am also in JAX and looking for sea jobs.

Joining SiU, yes pay some money take a physical, drug screen, register for work…Then you can have a seat at the Hall and wait for a job. Also if your MMC credentials were not earned through Piney Point you might not ship. Does not matter if you hold a able seamen unlimited, and the job is for an able seamen. If you did not get the able seamen through Piney Point, you might not get shipped.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;160001]Also if your MMC credentials were not earned through Piney Point you might not ship.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for this statement. That is almost word for word what the port agent in Norfolk told me.

Doesn’t matter how good your credential is or how many good references you have, either.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;160001]Joining SiU, yes pay some money take a physical, drug screen, register for work…Then you can have a seat at the Hall and wait for a job. Also if your MMC credentials were not earned through Piney Point you might not ship. Does not matter if you hold a able seamen unlimited, and the job is for an able seamen. If you did not get the able seamen through Piney Point, you might not get shipped.[/QUOTE]

A graduate of the trainee program comes out with “B” seniority. It’s tough to get a job with a “C” book.

[QUOTE=injunear;160004]A graduate of the trainee program comes out with “B” seniority. It’s tough to get a job with a “C” book.[/QUOTE]

It is not just the seniority, it is how SiU views credentials not earned through Piney Point. You see, if the credential was not earned through piney point. Then there is NO credential. Or in other words let’s say you hold an able seamen unlimited earned through Hawsepiping say MSC civmar (non-union) for example. You go to SiU and your able seamen hah, invalid…

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;160005]It is not just the seniority, it is how SiU views credentials not earned through Piney Point. You see, if the credential was not earned through piney point. Then there is NO credential. Or in other words let’s say you hold an able seamen unlimited earned through Hawsepiping say MSC civmar (non-union) for example. You go to SiU and your able seamen hah, invalid…[/QUOTE]

I’ve sailed with several ABs that obtained credentials before joining the SIU. They had permanent jobs. The trainee program grads with the same rate and seniority as a non-grad has priority to the job off the board.

[QUOTE=injunear;160009]I’ve sailed with several ABs that obtained credentials before joining the SIU. They had permanent jobs. The trainee program grads with the same rate and seniority as a non-grad has priority to the job off the board.[/QUOTE]

That’s the way it’s supposed to work, anyway.

[QUOTE=catherder;160002]Doesn’t matter how good your credential is or how many good references you have, either.[/QUOTE]

Which is complete bullshit.
If you are a member, dues current, holding the appropriate current documents and you are the last man/woman standing on the hiring hall deck bidding a job, you get it.
Or at least that’s how it works in a reputable union.

Here is an early Stanley Kubrick “documentary” about how things work at the SIU. . . . http://www.seafarers.org/gallery/theseafarers.asp

You can get a berth on a good paying ship by greasing the palm of the local SIU agent. According to the chief cook on the ship I’m presently on the going rate is $1500.

I cringe to every time I see “union” used with regards to that labor agency.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;160088]I cringe to every time I see “union” used with regards to that labor agency.[/QUOTE]

I sailed SIU tugs and ATBs the last 24 years before I retired. We generally negotiated good contracts with top benefits. I’ve seen good and bad but it was a hell of a lot better than the oilfield from '70 to '85. I’ve seen port agents busted for selling jobs too. Not many places left to draw a pension as early as 55. Retirement insurance ain’t bad either.

[QUOTE=injunear;160094]I sailed SIU tugs and ATBs the last 24 years before I retired. We generally negotiated good contracts with top benefits. I’ve seen good and bad but it was a hell of a lot better than the oilfield from '70 to '85. I’ve seen port agents busted for selling jobs too. Not many places left to draw a pension as early as 55. Retirement insurance ain’t bad either.[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify, I am not "bashing" unions or specifically the SiU. Just passing along the good and the bad info, to someone thinking about venturing that way. It is better to have a some idea what you will be getting yourself into than no idea.

[QUOTE=RichM;160085]You can get a berth on a good paying ship by greasing the palm of the local SIU agent. According to the chief cook on the ship I’m presently on the going rate is $1500.[/QUOTE]

I am not at all surprised.

[QUOTE=RichM;160085]You can get a berth on a good paying ship by greasing the palm of the local SIU agent. According to the chief cook on the ship I’m presently on the going rate is $1500.[/QUOTE]

Why, that can’t be possible. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;160184]Why, that can’t be possible. . .[/QUOTE]

Sure it can be . You never heard of palm grease at some of the HR departments in the bayou??

[QUOTE=tengineer1;160185]Sure it can be . You never heard of palm grease at some of the HR departments in the bayou??[/QUOTE]

Er, I was being sarcastic. . . .I am also a former SIU member. . . .