Greetings from Norway

Today, 17.May is Norwegian National Day, which is usually celebrate by speeches, parades and music by braze bands all over Norway and wherever in the world Norwegians live, incl, in USA.
This year the celebration is a bit different due to pandemic restrictions (2nd year) but that doesn’t stop people from finding other ways to celebrate.

Many places the street parades are replaced by boat parades and/or car parades.
Here in Ålesund it is obviously most natural with a boat parade through the narrow Brosundet, passing through the middle of town and proceeding into Borgundfjorden:

An Aalesund ship send greeting from Taiwan:

The crew of the Grand Canyon II send congratulations on the day. It is celebrated in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

View from one of the boats in the parade:

Passing by our house:

Front of the parade with the Storeggen Af Aalesund and SAR Idar Ulstein leading.

Shetland Bus Heland was in the parade:

1 Like

Happy Norwegian National Day to you. Before the Norwegian state shut down their support, if I happened to be home I would sometimes attend the festivities at the Norwegian Seamans Church in New Orleans, since I lived in the neighborhood. There was always some good music and food.

1 Like

In Lofoten the Boat Parade got joined by some unexpected guests:

How did they know it was National day??:

2 Likes

A bit more details about the Shetland bus Heland by locals from Vigra, where her Skipper Severin Roald and his crew came from:

In Nynorsk but Google Translation is reasonably understandable.

PS> I sailed with one of the crewmembers in 1964-65. He had made several trips to Shetland during the war, both with Heland and other boats…

M/K Heland returning to base, 19.May, 2021:

The popular tourist road Trollstigen was opened for traffic this last Friday:

Yesterday, Saturday, several thousand Norwegians took the trip from Valldal to Åndalsnes, or v.v.

The road was bare, so no winter tired required for the trip

Some even came on two wheels, with newly polished chrome on display:

Showing the height of the snow banks along the road:

Some took a trip on skis to get away from the maddening crowd:

PS> In Norway “maddening crowd” means; you can see or hear somebody else.

Latest update from Trollstigen:
A rockfall hit a car driving FV63 in Trollstigen on Sunday afternoon.
The exact location of the rockfall is Kjellstadsvingen, which is located at the bottom of Kjellstadlia. The area is exposed to rockfall.
Sunday afternoon at just before 4.30 pm a large rock hit a car in the bend before the bridge on the stretch. The stone went right through the hood of the BMW.

• It was a really scary experience, says a witness who came right after the incident.
  • I came cycling uphill and heard the stone hit the car. I chose to turn around, he says.

Trollstigen was opened last Friday after the winter closure. In the great weather this weekend, there has been a lot of traffic on FV63 in Trollstigen, and many have driven to the top to go skiing.

Written by Evy Kavli, Åndalsnes Avis

1 Like

Some mountain crossing is kept open year around.
This is from the road across Strynefjellet, from Nordfjord in the west to Gudbrandsdalen in the east:

As a bonus we see NAF Ålesund’s two vintage cars on Strynefjellet last year during a meeting in the Northwest, a spectacular sight with high snow banks and a young snowboarder framing the motif. PHOTO: NAF (Norwegian Automobile Association) ÅLESUND.

Picture probably taken near Stryn Sommerski Centre:

Not everybody like to have oil and gas activity in their back yard and let the world know so:

The northernmost Chinatown in the world is found in Kirkenes (aka Singapore of the North):

From this article about the Pasvik Valley and River, forming the border between Norway - Russia and Finland - Russia, as seen though the eyes and lenses of two French nationals;

Since this one is behind a paywall, here is a copy:

Video showing how it is done:

Sorry, no Google Translation available.

2 Likes

A picture from my home town, Ålesund in 1953:

The large vessel is M/V Cometa loading Salted Cod (Clip fish/Bacalao) for South America from wooden barges alongside.

The smaller vessel belong to Bergen Line (BDS) Name is unknown.(Checking)
Possibly this one:

https://www.sjohistorie.no/no/skip/7257

2 Likes

One more old picture from Ålesund and the way Clipfish (Bacalao) was produced:

Drying of clipfish in Ålesund in 1920. Picture from the National Library. Fields were cleared and stone used for rock fences and in some places clipfish piers.

1 Like

I started this thread back in Dec. 2020 when the days were short and the nights long.
Now things are very different, with long days and no real night here at 62.5 N.
Tomorrow the sun gets up at 03:38hrs. and sets at 23:35 hrs.

This from Loen, a bit south of here, last night:

The Royal Yacht Norge at anchor in Loen Bay, Nordfjord with the King and Queen onboard.

They are visiting several places in NW Norway this week:

Contrast. Midday in Lofoten in winter:

PS> The text says: Beautiful lake in Lofoten, Norway

From the local newspaper Sunnmørsposten (smp.no) today (Google Translation):

Was the Swede drunk as well?

Why is the Knife the wrong way?

The knife at Aksla has piloted seafarers for over 150 years, been a tourist attraction and a beloved landmark. But why is the knife upside down? Was the Swede who set it up drunk?

• He, he, he, he. Wrong way? I’ve never thought about that. If the Swede was drunk as well? That’s not easy to say. But that is a good question, laughs historian Ivar Gunnar Braaten, senior adviser at Stiftinga Sunnmøre Museum.

For of all the strange things one can think about, is that a knife “normally” would have the handle attached to the knife blade at the top and not at the bottom . The landmark “Knife” has the handle at the bottom, as if the knife cuts into the thin air. It’s a little weird ?, we try.

- Stately cultural monument

• But the Knife is at least a stately cultural monument, and before that the seafarer and others informed about the wind direction. But that the Knife is upside down, I have never thought of that. The name Kniven is probably something that came up later, because it was probably referred to as the “wind arrow” to begin with. “The knife” I think is a more popular expression that came up later, says Braaten.

The wind vane / wind arrow The knife has survived most of the weather, wind fire and bomb attacks for over a century and a half. It was Byselskapet that financed the wind arrow.

According to city historian Harald Grytten (Byvandring, volume 4), it was set up either in 1862 or 1867. This is based on two different articles in Sunnmørsposten in 1917 and in 1948. Unfortunately, the City Society’s protocols from this time are gone, so historians have not been able to time. with certainty what year the wind vane came up.

Spit on the finger

The idea for the design of the Knife came from optician Nils Svabø (1835-1912). Svabø was used to designing compasses and other navigation equipment for fishermen and seafarers. It is said that he got the idea when he saw the fishermen in the city used to spit on a finger and hold it up in the air, to check the wind direction. Optician Svabø then thought that a wind direction indicator in a high and visible place had to be more reliable, and started the project.

Drunk, Swedish stonemason

• For assembly, he received help from a Swedish stonemason. It is said that the Swede must have been of the drunken kind. He therefore had to promise in good faith that he would stay sober during the assembly work with the Knife. That the assembly took place without a single skew occurring in either the rod, stay or wind arrow, indicates that he kept his word.
    This is what Braaten writes in the blog Aalesund- og Borgundberetninger (2012), a blog with local history infested with visuals and an appropriate dose of nostalgia.

After the job was done, the Swedish stonemason is said to have become an abstainer.

Then came the Germans

But after delving a bit around history and whether the landmark is potentially incorrectly mounted upside down, which the story does not in any way suggest, there are still several events that may have been recorded.

• But the wind vane / wind arrow was dismantled and taken down by the Germans during World War II, Braaten points out.

So if one is to blame someone for possible incorrect installation, then it is conceivable that the Swede is completely innocent.

Set up again

If you read more from Harald Grytten’s urban history, Kniven was preserved after the occupiers had taken it down. After the war, it was driven up again on Aksla, to its old place, reinforced and equipped with a new ball bearing.

Whether the Knife is upside down, or it is actually the way it should be, we do not have the upper hand. Perhaps the most important thing, however, is that the arrow points in the right direction. Maybe you can check it next time you look at it?

Cultural monument:The knife at Aksla. The photo was taken in 1983. PHOTO: STIFTELSEN SUNNMØRE MUSEUM

Ålesund:The knife at Aksla today. PHOTO: MONA SKJONG

1 Like

Sure wish I was there. At least in Summer. My family came to USA from Norway in about 1920 … even the old folk. Would you emigrate at age 74?

Well, they prospered and multiplied and here I am. In a place where facts aren’t facts, truth isn’t truth and it’s my way or the highway.

But I remember my visits to Norge fondly and wish everyone there, and here, peace health and happiness.

Today 23. June is when Midsummer is celebrated all over Norway. It is known as St.Hans Eve and bonfires are lite all around the country:

The smoke is hanging in the still air here in Ålesund tonight:

Slinningsbålet, the big bonfire has not been lite, however. That will take place this coming Saturday only:

More pictures here:

The Royal Yacht Norge with the Queen on board has been cruising the fjords and islands around Ålesund the last three day and will be spending the night here:

Some prefer to enjoy the view and sunset as seen from a newly establish “Hammock Park” on a ledge half way up Sula mountain:

Royal Yacht Norge in Ålesund today: