Green Hydrogen

Alfa Laval joins a project to develop and produce the world’s first 10 MW green hydrogen production facility offshore in the North Sea:

Hydrogen fuel cell for fishery training vessel:

With Hydrogen fuel cells on board, MS Skulebas will be the world`s first zero-emission fishing vessel. Picture: Hvide Sande Shipyard*

MS Skulebas is used for training of future fishermen and fishery research, both for finding, catching, handling and processing of different types of fish:

She replaced a 42 year old vessel by the same name and purpose:

Being a non-toxic fuel I’d be happy to see this developed and used.

ombugge, why all the hate towards marine engineers and mechanics? I’d think you’d want to win that crowd over since they are the ones that will be working on these systems.

Wrong!!! I don’t “hate” any group, whether defined by their profession, nationality, tribe, or religion.

Nor do I look down on anybody because they have a different opinion than me. I may not agree with you, but I respect your right to your opinion. At the same time I reserve my right to argue against what I think is wrong, or factually wrong.

Zoisa Bond of Octopus Energy

Sounds like a Bond supervillain with a submersible secret headquarters

“First we steal the worlds hydrogen, then the worlds governments will crumble, Mr Bond”

Will this make a difference for green hydrogen use on ships?:

So 400 kW is not enough to power large ships, but multiple fuel cells, just like banks of batteries, to meet the requirement may be feasible. (??)

I dunno about feasible, it could replace generators on big ships but you’d need around 50-200 of those for a large ships propulsion. They’d probably be better off scaling it up bigger, dunno how well that could be done.

Fuel cell can be “stacked” just like battery backs (or stacks) according to TECO 2030:

I haven’t seen any measurements for the “FCM400”. (??)
Does that mean that the “FCM400 marine and heavy-duty hydrogen fuel cell module” is small enough to be “stacked” into a power bank(s) with sufficient output to power ship’s propulsion, w/o taking up too much space?

It looks pretty reasonably sized by the image in the article. Still dunno how feasible to pipe in 200 of them, maybe 50 though… I’d opt for a scaled up version, probably cheaper that way

Don’t know if that gray box is the FCM400 fuel cell, or if that is something used in the testing.

If it is ONE fuel cell I agree , it would be difficult to stack 200 of them together.
But not many ships need 400 kW = 536 Hp x 200 = 107282 Hp.

50 X FCM400 = 26820 Hp sounds like a more common propulsion requirement.

PS> Fuel cells still require less space than a diesel engine of similar capacity. (I think)

The other question is how to store enough liquid hydrogen?
The advantage with fuel cells are that they can use ammonia as fuel source, which can be stored in tanks under normal pressure.
But there are both pros and cons with this as with just about anything:

Did you know that hydrogen fuel cells are considered for aviation as well?:
https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/news/2020-10-hydrogen-fuel-cells-explained

Ya most ships are somewhere in the middle.

Although probably more deep sea ships in the 130 range than 50 range, but basically only the large box boats 20k teu would use 200.

I think shuttle ships would work well

BV is ahead of the game: