Getting MMC with debt

I’ve done my STCW, but I’m pretty much stagnant about proceeding to get my TWIC and whatnot due to the fact that I have a little over 2k in court fines. I plan on paying it, but it would be a hell of a lot easier after shipping out. Would they let me in with this fine?

What are “court fines”? I think the TWIC is issued by the TSA and what they care about is security, not your debts. The Coast Guard has specific rules for criminal convictions which may prevent you from getting an MMC, but they do not check your debts. If your “court fines” are the tip of some unmentioned iceberg of security risk, (i.e. you have a criminal conviction), then you may have a problem.

[QUOTE=MariaW;130215]What are “court fines”? I think the TWIC is issued by the TSA and what they care about is security, not your debts. The Coast Guard has specific rules for criminal convictions which may prevent you from getting an MMC, but they do not check your debts. If your “court fines” are the tip of some unmentioned iceberg of security risk, (i.e. you have a criminal conviction), then you may have a problem.[/QUOTE] My felony doesn’t restrict me from maritime, as far as the list of conviction no-no’s is concerned And it turns into a misdemenor when I pay up Thanks though. I’m going to get to pursuing this thing

[QUOTE=bedhead;130188]I’ve done my STCW, but I’m pretty much stagnant about proceeding to get my TWIC and whatnot due to the fact that I have a little over 2k in court fines. I plan on paying it, but it would be a hell of a lot easier after shipping out. Would they let me in with this fine?[/QUOTE]

Are these fines associated with a criminal convictiobn (as defined in 46 CFR 10.107)? If so, you will need to satisfy all obligations and conditions set by the court, or you will need to wait for the exp[iration of the maximum “assessment period” in 46 CFR 10.211 for the offense the conviction is for.

46 CFR 10.211(j): If a person with a criminal conviction submits their MMC application during the time between the minimum and maximum assessment periods shown in table 10.211(g) or established by the Coast Guard under paragraph (g) of this section, then the Coast Guard will consider the conviction and, unless there are offsetting factors, will grant the applicant the MMC and/or endorsement for which he or she has applied. Offsetting factors include such factors as multiple convictions, failure to comply with court orders (e.g., child support orders), previous failures at rehabilitation or reform, inability to maintain steady employment, or any connection between the crime and the safe operation of a vessel. If the Coast Guard considers the applicant unsuitable for service in the merchant marine at the time of application, the Coast Guard may disapprove the application.

BNot patying court fees would be considered as failing to comply with a court order.

A friend of mine got his TWIC but was turned down for his MMC due to owing some fines and some court order about his drivers licenses. I would make sure all your things are squared away before applying with the USCG.

Ok, thanks jd and Murph. That’s what I figured I understand you don’t need an MMC for fishermen jobs, so I’ll look into that route first

Will being on probation stop me from getting an MMC?