Getting discouraged as an OS

I’ve seen exceptional green deckhands become better than most experienced in a few months.

2 Likes

Then you probably aren’t running a very complex operation. I can see how that could happen on a harbor tug but certainly not an ocean going ATB or similar. Not that we would have had an OS onboard anyways.

All other things being equal, experience is everything, but all things are never equal.

Most guys are average, some are exceptional.

2 Likes

One mans opinion. Disagree with oakley23 on this one.I have run ATB’s, and wire boats that handled oil barges and what have you. Quite a few ATB , ITB wheel house guys in a world of doodoo if they had to get on a wire. I want the deckhand that knows how to make up to a tow in push gear and get on a tow wire if needed. ATB’s are much easier than pushing or towing 32 ‘draft on wires loaded or pushing empty the same barges with 4-6’ draft with no ballast. Not complex? I beg to differ. Same cargo, newer more capable rigs make it easier and safer thank goodness. I have seen quite a few green deckhands learn quite fast. Some not so fast. I believe a guy starting out will pick up skills just as quick if not quicker on a tug that goes thru those maneuvers. And will also have a good respect for the weather.

1 Like

Thanks a lot there’s a couple there I haven’t heard of that I’ll check out. I thought Dann on the C and D was going to be promising, my buddy worked with one of their captains with another company during his summer internship while home from Mass Maritime. He had me put his name as a referral and everything but when I called the office they were kind of standoffish and quick to cut me off. Since they have open positions still I guess that ship has sailed. But I’m going to reach out to those others, and see what I can find out. I might just stop by where I worked as a relief deckhand and see if they can take me back full time. It’s not like I screwed them over so worst they can say is no I guess. Thanks a lot you’ve been a big help.

Try Harry hays , hays tugs, Wilmington tug. Moran , Mcallister , North Star those are some companies in Philly . Hays and Wilmington tug would be the only mom and pop type companies . Weeks has a yard in Camden and white basin

Here’s the thing about the maritime industry. If it was easy everyone would do it. It is NOT easy to get a job, it takes effort. Show up, talk to people in offices. Go back to those same offices and ask again. The hiring folks have lots of people call and ask or drop by to ask if they are hiring but it’s the guy that comes by the second or third time that gets their attention.Be persistent and I wish you luck !!

2 Likes

There is a perception that working on the water is cool and fun. Too many people think they want to do it.

Most people that try it run back to a land job. Away from home, alcohol, drugs, and sex for weeks or months at a time! That’s not for most people. Work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, usually without overtime or holiday pay! That’s not for most people. Cold, hot, humid, wet, rough, sea sick, noisy, walking on steel decks, climbing ladders, rolling and thrashing, lose stuff flying around the tiny little room and head (bathroom) that you share with other people! That’s not for most people. No cell phone or internet for extended periods of time. That’s not for kids today.

Big money! Not really. Many people could do as well with a one or two man lawn mowing or house painting business, or working construction, and be home every night.

One of the big advantages of going to sea for a young single guy is that he has low, or no, living costs half the year, and isolation onboard is an enforced savings plan. For a married guy with kids, he’ll probably discover that she spent it all (some of it on Jody), and he is broke as soon as he gets home. Seen that a million times!

Then there are the boom and bust cycles, and expensive training to update and credentials to maintain during long periods without seagoing employment.

No. It’s not for most people. No. Its not “big money.”

3 Likes

Agreed. Solid work ethic & an aptitude for safety goes a long way in my book. I prefer to teach/work alongside one of these green go getters more than a tenured AB. I know solid career AB’s exist, but they are tough to come by, probably because they’ve found a home. It’s rare an experienced “good” deckhand doesn’t move up after seatime milestones are met.

2 Likes

AKtugboater , you are correct. The “Good” AB’s more often than not move up through the system and get licensed or have found their “Niche” and comfort zone. Thus , the shortage. Just last week, a former OS (And great friend) that is now an AB/Tankerman came into town on his ATB for crew change.He was well rounded from working on the smaller tugs and knew when to duck. He started out as an OS/Cook, but was “encouraged” to help out on deck. I taught him how to handle the boat in case of emergencies,and the crew reached out as he was a fast learner. He had many opportunities to gain a license, but was fat, dumb, and happy where he was at. That is one of the “Rare Ones” you refer to. I was lucky. Really enjoyed giving my former shipmate a ride to the airport.

Tugsailor is quite relevant in his last post , and brings some very important things to light that are omnipresent in this industry. You will not be able to get rich quick, but can do quite well if you are smart and save that 10 cents, no matter what salary … It may/will be rewarding down the road, but it is not a short or easy task… No matter where you go, maritime, shoreside,wherever… Pay yourself first.

1 Like

Don’t forget about work on the Great Lakes. You may not get a job until June but companies do hire OS. Go to their websites or contact directly. See lcaships.com/companies for contact info.

My previous career (geology) was the same. Extended periods away from home. Weather, remoteness, 18-20 hour days or shift work… Not everyone can do that.

To the OP, I would encourage you to go back to the company that first gave you an opportunity, if only for appearance sake. Let them know you are interested in a career. Maybe they will help out arranging your training for a commitment to work. I think a survey boat is a good gig.

2 Likes

Don’t look at Bouchard as an option. It’s not. And you will regret it within your first 2 hitches. Don’t waste your time.

1 Like

Have you considered NOAA? Check USAJOBS.gov for openings. NOAA offers decent pay, good accommodations and lots of seatime for upgrading. Good luck.

1 Like

Try McAllister they have quite a few boats and you never know when someone is going to get sick, go jail or whatever
Don’t give up and good luck

With the medium and larger companies, you absolutely should contact their HR folks once a month. Your name will go into the hat, but after a couple of phone calls, your name will also be familiar. From what I can see with my own employer it cuts the wait time from 18 months to 4-6.

Getting your first job is never easy. Took me about a year. After that, if you choose to stay and advance, it gets much easier.

Contact Cabras Marine Corp in Guam. They are “hiring” for their tugboats. Since they only pay tugboat captains $200 a day, they probably only pay $40 a day for a green OS, but hey, you’ll be getting experience. If you tell them that you’ll buy your own plane ticket and buy your own food, it might improve your chances.

Are you sure that you want to get into this business?

3 Likes

As stated previously, if you can cook-willing to cook, you can probably get your foot in the door that way.

1 Like