Gap Closing Extension

Looks like they extended it until July 2017. Glad I didn’t waste my time taking ECDIS.

that’s good news but it would be even better if it was July 2018 when I renew my license.

still doesn’t really matter for the DAUNTLESS however since she is under 200grt

[QUOTE=c.captain;193537]that’s god news but it would be even better if it was July 2018 when I renew my license.

still doesn’t really matter for the DAUNTLESS however since she is under 200grt.[/QUOTE]

Roger That, I know a couple of guys who are gonna be happy.

Has NMC/USCG gotten on board with that? I wouldn’t hold my breath since they said in no uncertain terms there would be no extension.

Where is this info coming from?

[QUOTE=fishyluke;193544]Where is this info coming from?[/QUOTE]

My Boss, Falck, IMO, and a Chief Mariner Credential individual. Try this… msc.1/circ.1560

[QUOTE=Chopshopscotty;193546]My Boss, Falck, IMO, and a Chief Mariner Credential individual. Try this… msc.1/circ.1560[/QUOTE]

Suggest you carefully read the document. I don’t see where there is a flat out extension being granted.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;193548]Suggest you carefully read the document. I don’t see where there is a flat out extension being granted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576892/MSC.1-Circ.1560.pdf[/QUOTE]

One might reasonably expect that since the reg is an IMO creation, a recommendation by that body as to how administrations and auditors/class surveyors should enforce that regulation would carry some weight.

You seem to overestimate the common sense of the Coast Guard bureaucracy. I think I’ll wait until Mr. Cavo chimes in on this, since he has a finger on the NVIC’s when they’re issued, but I won’t bet on the US going along with it.

[QUOTE=jbtam99;193554]You seem to overestimate the common sense of the Coast Guard bureaucracy. [/QUOTE]

You’ve got a point there, don’t know what came over me … sorry.

I asked the NMC about this today… the nice lady laughed and said “No sir, there is no extension.”

That’s what I figured… they were pretty specific that would be the case.

I take everything bad I said about the bureaucracy back. It’s official, there’s an extension…

Delayed Enforcement of 2010 Amendments to the STCW Convention

The United States has encountered difficulties in fully implementing the 2010 amendments to the International Convention on Standards for Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended (STCW). These difficulties include reduced availability of some training courses for U.S. mariners and processing delays for U.S. merchant mariner credential applications. As a result, a portion of U.S. mariners may not currently meet the new STCW requirements and have had a service limitation placed on their credential. This limitation reads, “Not valid after December 31, 2016” and it was placed on credentials of mariners that may not have completed the gap closing requirements during their renewal process since 2012.

Many countries have experienced the same difficulties and at the recent session of the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Maritime Safety Committee, it was recognized that Administrations are still working to confirm their mariners meet the requirements of these amendments. To assist these Administrations, a circular was developed (MSC.1/Circ.1560) that urges port State control authorities to consider the challenges being experienced by the Administrations and to delay enforcement of the 2010 amendments to the STCW until July 1, 2017. The United States will follow this guidance and will encourage other port States to do the same.

While the United States has implemented the requirements of the 2010 amendments into our regulations, some mariners are still working to meet those requirements. And while the IMO has urged a delay in the enforcement of the requirements it does not require Administrations to comply with the delay. As such, United States’ mariners are strongly encouraged to continue their pursuit of compliance with the new requirements. Mariners are also reminded that all applications, submitted on or after January 1, 2017, must fully comply with the requirements for STCW as published in the Federal Register on December 24, 2013.

The U.S. will be notifying port State control authorities around the world of the limitation associated with our transition to the new requirement and urge them not to delay ships where such mariners are serving on the vessel. Those mariners who have met the transitional training requirements and still have the service limitation on their MMC are encouraged to carry the applicable training records until their credential is updated.

Information on how mariners are to meet these requirements can be found on the National Maritime Center’s website, https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/stcw/. Questions may be directed to 1- 888-427-5662 or via email to IASKNMC@uscg.mil.

Sincerely,

//M. Medina//

Mayte Medina
Chief, Office of Merchant Mariner Credentialing

I thought I heard that if all paperwork including certificates are submitted before Jan 1 and you still didn’t receive stickers you can sail?

[QUOTE=brjones;193587]I thought I heard that if all paperwork including certificates are submitted before Jan 1 and you still didn’t receive stickers you can sail?[/QUOTE]

The way I read it there is no hard and fast rule. The goal is to avoid having ships detained because of noncompliance. It’s going to be on a case by case basis as judged by PSC.

In the case where a mariner has the training certs in hand and is getting off the ship next port than low risk of getting detained. On the other hand having a mariner without the training certs may be a problem with risk of PSC detainment.

Not sure if you’d be allowed to join without the updated MMC or not. It may put the ship at risk of being detained.

Will this extension also delay the requirement to take STCW refresher courses in order to renew?

I found the IMO statement, but not anything from the USCG. The NMC website says nothing about any extensions for us. If I were you, I wouldn’t count an an extension. I got mine a year ago and won’t have any problem, but my employer has been replacing everyone w/o the date limitation off their documents. Several engineers, including the Chang are already gone.

Same at my company. Several gone as late as last week.

[QUOTE=captaint76;193613]Same at my company. Several gone as late as last week.[/QUOTE]

That’s hardcore captain76 and samat3, hardcore. I got my II/2 sticker months ago as well and my Boat is not ECDIS so im good. It will be interesting to see if someone like me can still sail on an ECDIS Boat after Dec 31st without the Certificate.