USCG not issuing new STCW endorsements?

Have any other engineers had problems getting the gap closing STCW courses added to their MMC? I took Engine Room Resource Management and submitted to the NMC for issuance of the endorsement to my MMC. They replied, saying that since I don’t have any limitations, so they have nothing to remove?!? I figure with thousands of us engineers doing these three courses, surely the USCG has seen other applications come through by now… FWIW, my current MMC expires in December 2016, but was issued in 2011, so it does not have anything printed on it like “valid only until December 31, 2016” or the like.

Do they plan on actually printing the courses in the MMC, or not have the courses listed, just not having any limitations? My employer overseas wants to see the course names printed in the book (like the rest of the world)… This sticker nonsense requires explanations every time PSC comes aboard, with both Chief Engineer and 2nd Engineer printed (upgraded to CE, but did not renew). Then there is the domestic-only license part. Confuses people even more. Different topic altogether, but maybe they could charge another $10 to the process and just print a new book instead of the stickers…

Just amazing how the USCG must always be different than the rest of the world. No wonder we got put on the gray list…

[QUOTE=NewEngr;157281]Have any other engineers had problems getting the gap closing STCW courses added to their MMC? I took Engine Room Resource Management and submitted to the NMC for issuance of the endorsement to my MMC. They replied, saying that since I don’t have any limitations, so they have nothing to remove?!? I figure with thousands of us engineers doing these three courses, surely the USCG has seen other applications come through by now… FWIW, my current MMC expires in December 2016, but was issued in 2011, so it does not have anything printed on it like “valid only until December 31, 2016” or the like.

Do they plan on actually printing the courses in the MMC, or not have the courses listed, just not having any limitations? My employer overseas wants to see the course names printed in the book (like the rest of the world)… This sticker nonsense requires explanations every time PSC comes aboard, with both Chief Engineer and 2nd Engineer printed (upgraded to CE, but did not renew). Then there is the domestic-only license part. Confuses people even more. Different topic altogether, but maybe they could charge another $10 to the process and just print a new book instead of the stickers…

Just amazing how the USCG must always be different than the rest of the world. No wonder we got put on the gray list…[/QUOTE]

You will get the limitation when you renew. Since the MMC itself will expire before December 31, 2016, there is no reason to put a limitation on the STCW endorsements that they won’t be valid after that date - the whole MMC will be invalid before then unless you renew. If you do renew before it expires, and you don’t have the courses, you’ll get the limitation then. I would be surprised if NMC did not explain that, obvious as it may be.

Thanks Mr Cavo. I was hoping you’d chime in here. No, the letter I received from the NMC was poorly worded at best, ambiguous at most. I understand their reasoning behind the statement that I have no limitations, but in essence, I do. Working outside the USA, not only my employer, but various port/legal authorities want to see current dates for certain STCW items - firefighting, survival craft, ERRM/BRM, etc. I know the USCG has taken the stance of “you need it for issuance, so we don’t print it”, but that’s finding us USA-licensed mariners in a tricky spot. Showing course certificates with dates will usually work, but other countries want to see details and dates directly in the MMC. So now this will be added to my pile of certificates I lug around with me everywhere, because the USCG prefers to do things different. Not your fault at all, just pointing out the differences here.

How is this going to be sorted out when December 2016 comes and thousands of people are trying to renew? I have one more of the three gap closing classes to do, then I will be finished. So my current MMC expires in December 2016, I apply for a renewal (with course certs, so no limitations) and it will work that smooth? Obviously I would apply in July-August 2016. Is the NMC prepared for the massive influx of people sending in renewals next year? If we can’t have restrictions removed until courses are complete, nobody will renew until it’s close(ish) to the time of expiration. Why pay $$$ for renewal with a lot of valid time left on the credential?

Absolutely begin your renewal in summer 2016. Your renewed MMC will not be valid until your current MMC expires, so you will get your full 5 years from both credentials.

[QUOTE=NewEngr;157349]Thanks Mr Cavo. I was hoping you’d chime in here. No, the letter I received from the NMC was poorly worded at best, ambiguous at most. I understand their reasoning behind the statement that I have no limitations, but in essence, I do. Working outside the USA, not only my employer, but various port/legal authorities want to see current dates for certain STCW items - firefighting, survival craft, ERRM/BRM, etc. I know the USCG has taken the stance of “you need it for issuance, so we don’t print it”, but that’s finding us USA-licensed mariners in a tricky spot. Showing course certificates with dates will usually work, but other countries want to see details and dates directly in the MMC. So now this will be added to my pile of certificates I lug around with me everywhere, because the USCG prefers to do things different. Not your fault at all, just pointing out the differences here.

How is this going to be sorted out when December 2016 comes and thousands of people are trying to renew? I have one more of the three gap closing classes to do, then I will be finished. So my current MMC expires in December 2016, I apply for a renewal (with course certs, so no limitations) and it will work that smooth? Obviously I would apply in July-August 2016. Is the NMC prepared for the massive influx of people sending in renewals next year? If we can’t have restrictions removed until courses are complete, nobody will renew until it’s close(ish) to the time of expiration. Why pay $$$ for renewal with a lot of valid time left on the credential?[/QUOTE]

A reason to renew early is to defer the refresher courses for Advanced Firefighting and BST you will need to renew after December 31, 2016. The cost of renewing early is probably less than those courses, so you would pout having to get them off by a few years.

I can’t speculate on NMC’s preeparedness. But, you may recall that processing times increased in 2013 as we neared the original deadline for STCW security endorsements. In that case the delays were also caused by furloughs following the government shut down.