Foss pay rate

Anyone know what foss is paying tug engineers in San Fran and Seattle?

You would make more in Seattle. The engineers are IBU.

I too would like to know, but I would be more interested in how to get my resume to the person who makes hiring decisions in SF.

I’d like to see someone layout how pay for captains and mates actually works at Foss. Foss is a good company and they are hiring. I. hear that captains and mates are on salary with a 150 day per year commitment, and that they get very generous “overtime” if they work more than 150 days. I hear that some people work well over 150, but others that want to cannot. What is the current story at Foss?

As of a few yrs ago, in long beach, engineers are meba and abs are ibu. Tankerman are mmp and half the wheelhouse is management while the other half is ibu.
Takes a while to get a schedule…last I heard the only liveaboard boat was in el segundo.
If you are living in so cal it is the union job of choice. Very little turnover.

I think the guys who work there don’t even know from what I hear lol

[QUOTE=rshrew;142501]I think the guys who work there don’t even know from what I hear lol[/QUOTE]

I occasionally chat with a Foss boat. Some guys are happy and some are not. Some guys work a lot more than they want to, getting a lot more than 150 days a year, for lack of available reliefs. Some want to work more days but cannot get them. I have heard so many different stories on pay that I cannot tell what they really make. I hear complaints that working conditions have gone downhill. I have noticed that some of the boats are showing their age and are not as well maintained as they use to be. Everyone says that they need more captains and mates.

I know several people who have applied, but they cannot seem to make much progress in the hiring process. Foss advertises and requests resumes, but most people never hear a word in response and cannot get anyone at Foss to speak with them. Guys definitely cannot walk in at Foss.

I’d like to get the straight story on pay.

Not sure about the pay, but I hear you have to live locally, and the food sucks, basically make your own.

From what I hear is that Foss wheelhouse is full management 2nd mate make $80,000, chief mates make about $90,000, and the captains make $105,000. These are rough numbers but the only have to work 150 days a year. No OT but if you work past 150 they have a double pay rate for every day past 150 worked. Some see it and some don’t. Chiefs make about 500 per day with and OT.

[QUOTE=chukchi73;142965]From what I hear is that Foss wheelhouse is full management 2nd mate make $80,000, chief mates make about $90,000, and the captains make $105,000. These are rough numbers but the only have to work 150 days a year. No OT but if you work past 150 they have a double pay rate for every day past 150 worked. Some see it and some don’t. Chiefs make about 500 per day with and OT.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That’s about the same as what I heard. That works out to $533 for 2nd mate, $600 for chief mate, and $700 for masters — working 150 days. Those are good PNW wage rates.

I have trouble believing that very many guys actually see many extra days at double pay.

Maybe this explains why Foss is using Fastream to provide temporary mates. They don’t want to pay the double time to the regular mates. It may also explain why some Foss guys are looking to moonlight to make extra money.

foss chiefs make 500 plus overtime? Are they paid for time off too? Not real clear.

I’m still trying to decifer the pay, but It looks like they are hiring engineers for both IBU and SUP contracts in the SF Bay right now.

I’m a student at CMA and I recently heard of a rate of $625 a day for masters for Foss in the Bay Area.

Anyone know the typical engineering manning and license requirements for Foss tugs in the Puget Sound area?

I’m told they like to see at least DDE unlimited with STCW. Their adds they post usually say you need 15 years experience with 5 as chief, that’s a tall order.

Foss in SF is either SUI or IBU and it’s an hourly rate for engineers. They are looking for unlimited DDE’s, because they have two tugs that are over 4000 hp now.

Foss Chiefs work between 180-200 days per year. Work on the inside you get paid vacation but ocean get $150 extra per month worked ILO. Right now Chief PNW rate is $470 per day plus $30 dollars parity pay. OT is time and a half. Outside make more in OT and day rate but not buy much but you have to Cook on in side. PNW also may get a raise coming up for licensed engineers and QMEDs to match Crowley in pay. But Foss works a 4 on 8 off so OT is pretty common where Crowley works 6 and 6 no barley OT Foss overall is highest paying in Seattle in IBU both wheel house and deck. But schedule is often a struggle due to shortage of sailors in the industry.
Answering about the WH Overtime it’s actually a double day rate past 150 days with a matching 401k and a yearly company profit sharing.

[QUOTE=chukchi73;158140]Foss Chiefs work between 180-200 days per year. Work on the inside you get paid vacation but ocean get $150 extra per month worked ILO. Right now Chief PNW rate is $470 per day plus $30 dollars parity pay. OT is time and a half. Outside make more in OT and day rate but not buy much but you have to Cook on in side. PNW also may get a raise coming up for licensed engineers and QMEDs to match Crowley in pay. But Foss works a 4 on 8 off so OT is pretty common where Crowley works 6 and 6 no barley OT Foss overall is highest paying in Seattle in IBU both wheel house and deck. But schedule is often a struggle due to shortage of sailors in the industry.
Answering about the WH Overtime it’s actually a double day rate past 150 days with a matching 401k and a yearly company profit sharing.[/QUOTE]

Shortage of sailors? I met all off the qualifications Foss asked for, hold DDE all hp, chief limited oceans, valid passport, good health, no criminal record etc, couldn’t get a call back or interview. Foss is too fucking lazy to hire people.
I had heard from other guys it was tough to get a reply, I assumed they were just full of BS because of no license, maybe bad background check or whatever. Not the case.

They’ve had a posting up for chiefs for a while…either they don’t update it or they are like harley and aimlessly put up postings.

Ya I don’t know they’ve hired people over the last six months. But their office is like any other in this industry. Sorry to hear you get a interview they missed out that’s a well sought after here pretty surprised they did pass that on to the port engineer. Especially when we here they are short handed. I know they’ve hired a lot of Mates and few chiefs. So not sure when a turn around for chiefs with happen in MT.