Engineer Sea Service Credit Question

Question. In the past I know engineers got partial credit for days served not underway but in standby. For example; at the dock with generators and hotel services running. I THINK it was 2 for 1 credit but I do not recall precisely. I remember this rule being applicable for MSC Ready Reserve guys and others used it, including me, while in the shipyard tied along the pier. For the life of me I cannot now find that policy in the CFRs and most of the policy letters have gone by the wayside. Does anyone know if this is still in effect and if so where it can be found? I would like to have an answer before I confuse the darlings at NMC by asking.
Thanks
tengineer

Try the Marine Safety Manual. I know it has the RRF ships in it but I can’t recall anything about days not underway. I’ve always gotten letters that did. not differentiate between underway and not underway. I’ve never had a problem getting full credit.

Psssst … Don’t tell the NMC.

Thanks KP. I looked thru the manual as long as I could stand it, admittedly not too long, but didn’t find the policy or rule. I told this guy just to send his stuff in and see what they say. I wrote an explanatory letter to NMC for him to go along with his sea service discharges. We’ll see what happens.
Thanks Again

I think the whole idea is stupid frankly. I don’t know about anybody else but I tend to work a lot harder in port than I do underway. That’s where I really get into things, figure things out and learn new things.

I agree with you. The planning prior to port and the work done in port is a major pain in the ass. That being said it can also be rewarding, if you’re truly an engineer. I currently work in various shipyards that I used to hate with a passion as a sailing engineer. But my current role is interesting, challenging and even fun sometimes. However, I still have empathy for the engineers on board when they come in the yards. In my opinion they use more of their expertise and education in the yard than underway.

Just left a yard and worked my ass off for less money. Rewarding at times. The yard isnt as bad as leaving and finding all the f ups the yard did

[QUOTE=brjones;65193]Just left a yard and worked my ass off for less money. Rewarding at times. The yard isnt as bad as leaving and finding all the f ups the yard did[/QUOTE]
I am curious. How do you work your ass off for less money if you’re an engineer?

Less OT on paper compared to how much work is done on an average day.

[QUOTE=tengineer;65218]I am curious. How do you work your ass off for less money if you’re an engineer?[/QUOTE]

When I sailed with Crowley in the Gulf, we were paid a different rate when alongside. I was on the San Juan run from Lake Charles for most of my time there. Whenever we got back from a trip, usually on Monday or Tuesday, the crew would be signed off, but they kept us engineers around working “hard card” rates, about half of what we got paid while sailing. We would then sign back on at noon on Friday. Because I also lived in Lake Charles at the time, I also got bagged for work whenever there was a boat over at Fredeman’s Shipyard in Carlyss (which was just about always) and then also when they purchased the Robin tugs. All that work was hard card. And work it was. All the while as a member in good standing with the SIU. . . . .

At least when we were sailing, I was almost always the highest paid person onboard with the OT. What made it a bit of fun was that more often than not, I was also the youngest. Boy, those days are gone. . . .

[QUOTE=tengineer;65218]I am curious. How do you work your ass off for less money if you’re an engineer?[/QUOTE]
A lot less OT in the yard. When we are operational, we have maneuvers in the middle of the night, along with duty pay. All that is gone in the yard

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/9-01.pdf

If the plant is operational, engineers get credit on a one for one basis. The NMC got confused with me and tried giving me half credit for days like the bridge crew. I pointed them to this policy letter and they immediately (within like 10 minutes) fixed my sea time to reflect day for day while in port.