1.5 days for 12 hour work-day

Been off the site and out sailing for a few months. I’m looking to upgrade and just crossed the 60 days I’m looking for to reapply. THEN…I heard a rumor yesterday that the NMC is No Longer Recognizing a 12 hour days work on an OSV as time-and-a-half??? Anyone have any insight on this??? I’m trying to figure out if I can reapply now or if I need another hitch. I found the CFR’s regarding the 1.5 credit. Have they just changed or is it still the same.

I just received the 1.5 day credit a little over a week ago.

I applied for an upgrade a few months back and didn’t have any issue with 12 hours days. I have heard of qmeds having problems though.

My problem is getting it properly documented on my seatime letters. I got screwed out of over a week of time because noaa corps writes ours and they don’t know the cfrs so getting things straight requires a Herculean effort.

I am no lawyer specializing in the NMC although there is one who helps out on here, BUT, unless thats in a NVIC, Federal Register, or CFR, I don’t think they can just suddenly stop accepting the time. Remember, it depends on whether or not the vessel is officially allowed to run a two-watch system and they will definitely check on that. The letter needs to be precisely/properly worded as well.

If I had a letter on me, I’d type out what it says so you could tell them what it needs to say. Maybe someone with a 12 hour sea time letter with them could do that?

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;123933]If I had a letter on me, I’d type out what it says so you could tell them what it needs to say. Maybe someone with a 12 hour sea time letter with them could do that?[/QUOTE]

Here’s the language from a letter used earlier this year:

[NAME] has worked 12-hour days as a condition of employment for 422.5 days, and 8-hour days for 26 days, (total of 448.25 days) for the time period of 04/08/11 to 01/15/2013. [NAME] has been subject to a random testing program required by 46 CFR 16.230, and for at least 60 days of the previous 185 did not refuse to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs required by this part.

It is also helpful if you write your own letter in Word, formatted so it will fit on a company letterhead. Then email it to the office, so all they have to do is print out the attached file on their letterhead.

It saves a lot of grief,

But make damn sure it’s perfect or they will give you hell when they have to fix it!

The policy letter is in the fleet DMS regarding sea time letters. It spells out very clearly eligible sea time. Kindly remind whoever wrote you that letter to review the policy and rewrite your sea time letter. BTW, did you know that NOAA has a MOU with USCG that says engineers get 1/1 sea time for duty in port?

Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;123898] I have heard of qmeds having problems though.[/QUOTE]

The credit is for 12 hours of watch. Engine ratings are not permitted to be divided into two watches. See 46 U.S. Code 8104(g)

Yes, I am aware of the 1/1 deal although two ships I have augmented on have already disregarded that and made a point of setting aside the in-ports by date when writing my letters. Apparently nobody can be bothered with checking policy anymore. Thus, I have a handful of letters, and only one ship- the one I am on now- does them correctly for engineers.

I have been back and forth with a particular ship for months now regarding the 12 hour watches I did not get credit for.

From here on out I will have to be a bitch about this issue or they will continue to get away with nonsense.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;123942”]

The credit is for 12 hours of watch. Engine ratings are not permitted to be divided into two watches. See 46 U.S. Code 8104(g)[/QUOTE]

So all these years I have been working 6/6 or 12/12 i have been in violation of this? When has this or will this ever be enforced?

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;123942”]

The credit is for 12 hours of watch. Engine ratings are not permitted to be divided into two watches. See 46 U.S. Code 8104(g)[/QUOTE]

Why does it pertain only to those rating and just engine department? Just curious.

He just gave you the CFR to refer to…

[QUOTE=“Traitor Yankee;123970”]

He just gave you the CFR to refer to…[/QUOTE]

No shit. I am still curious to why it only has to do with engine ratings. Why not the deck rating as well.

I just upgraded from AB to mate and I got my 1.5 days. Your boat needs to be on a 2 watch system, and it also needs to be documented on your sea time letter. It’s not just for engineering.

coal passers, firemen, oilers, and water tenders!

the licensed individuals, sailors, coal passers, firemen, oilers, and water tenders shall be divided, when at sea, into at least 3 watches, and shall be kept on duty successively to perform ordinary work incident to the operation and management of the vessel.

A licensed individual or seaman in the deck or engine department may not be required to work more than 8 hours in one day.

Why are we just hearing about this? This changes everything!

• Updated - - -

a seaman may not be required to do unnecessary work on Sundays, New Year’s Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day, when the vessel is in a safe harbor, but this clause does not prevent dispatch of a vessel on a voyage; and

And this. I feel like we just joined a union or something!

Except tugs/Osv’s are exempt from the 8 hour rule unless on a voyage of 600+ miles. Engine rates Aside

Unnecessary work, like chipping and painting etc. doesn’t excuse regular vessel operations, or sanitary etc.