Mariner rights, and re-employment assistance

Does anyone know of grants, or any other type of reemployment assistance for mariners who know their rights (as a USMM), and exercised them against a Chief Engineer who was a bully :frowning: with MSC? My confidential rights were violated by the agency:mad:, when the posting on ship said that contact with them would be held confidential:rolleyes:.

A reprimand was issued to me for confidential information, then later overturned by the agency legal department.

Anyone have ideas on how to get back out there, ideally on the crew of a private yacht?

Here is an idea, apply for jobs. That’s generally how you get work. My wife seems to think the Job Fairy is just going to show up to see her too.

G.captain is a tool, a great one. But until you go pound the pavement, and put yourself out there, your just blowing smoke. In todays job market, no ones going to give you anything, just because you got “screwed” at MSC, doesnt mean you quit looking. If anyone knows of a engineers job, NYC based, for 800 a day, paid travel and 2-2, free medical and all i do is sit in the galley, please PM me, very interested.

I was looking for more of a work-from-home arrangement with paid travel.

[QUOTE=z-drive;103207]I was looking for more of a work-from-home arrangement with paid travel.[/QUOTE]

I have that now! Wanna trade? Even comes with a car.

[QUOTE=catherder;103208]I have that now! Wanna trade? Even comes with a car.[/QUOTE] I’m interested!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;103211]I’m interested![/QUOTE]

I will be vacating it when I get a sailing job, and I will let people here know, as this spot often takes months to fill. You just need to live in the Norfolk area…

Oh… I meant like they paid me to travel from my bedroom to desk in the morning, and desk to bar in afternoon. I don’t intend to leave the neighborhood! Sounds like maybe the GSA is where I need to look?

I think they got da sequestration blues.

[QUOTE=Wolfesown47th;103190]Here is an idea, apply for jobs. That’s generally how you get work. My wife seems to think the Job Fairy is just going to show up to see her too.[/QUOTE]

Now that is too funny!

I’ve lived there before and could live there again.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;103264]I’ve lived there before and could live there again.[/QUOTE]

It’s not a bad area really.

I just got a “tentative offer” from NOAA in my email inbox this evening so if I don’t flub my physical (blood pressure creeping up), I’ll let you know.

If your blood pressure is raised smoke a big ol’ Bob Marley joint and you’ll be all set!

;D
(Kidding)

[QUOTE=Flyer69;103269]If your blood pressure is raised smoke a big ol’ Bob Marley joint and you’ll be all set!

;D
(Kidding)[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I’ll be set alright! :slight_smile:

These days my drug, of choice is pizza and now it’s withdrawal time! I worry-ate myself into a few more pounds, what a deal. Getting old sucks :slight_smile:

Mmmmmm Pizza!

I know of what you speak,in the latter part of my 40’s now, and it just seems a real battle as a pound creeps on here, pound creeps on there, then the effort to get those pounds back off is increasing exponentially.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;103192]But until you go pound the pavement, and put yourself out there, your just blowing smoke. In todays job market, no ones going to give you anything, just because you got “screwed” at MSC, doesnt mean you quit looking.[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t just MSC, it was also SIU refusing to help.

There isn’t really any maritime work near the mpls/st paul area. What firms should I call up?

Maybe find a different line of work? You were able to get that job in the first place can’t you just use the same steps to get a new one.

[QUOTE=Q695;103372]It wasn’t just MSC, it was also SIU refusing to help.

There isn’t really any maritime work near the mpls/st paul area. What firms should I call up?[/QUOTE]

I think you’ve figured out by now that the unions aren’t able to do much for a government wage mariner.

If you want to work in this business you will have to cast a wide net. There is a lot of work in the Gulf but you need to go door-to-door, use the search function to find a lot of info and lists of companies

Search function, right hand corner, “great lakes” companies. Or you can be like the other 90% here, and get on an airplane and fly to the gulf or northeast. Andrie is in muskegon, i liked it, alot of others didnt. Pay isnt so hot, but its a start.