Need your help for maritime job...?

Hello guys…Thanks to Capt John,He recommended me this site.I need your help.! I’m looking for an employer I am a marine chief mate officer currently active and bear complete documents as a seafarer.Although,I am not a U.S citizen but currently I have a non working visa. Anyone who could help me find an employer here, I am willing to shoulder all possible expenses for visa change .I am a flexible person who is willing to work in any fields relevant to my qualifications.I read several positive posting in here me and i’m Looking forward though this forum that God may lead anyone to open opportunity for an employer on me.Thank you for any help extended and may God bless you all for all of your kindness. Your response is highly appreciated.

there are plenty of job postings on this site as well as many other sites. scuttlebutt says shipping jobs are getting easier to find…
good luck.

I know of several Russian sailors who have immigrated to the US. Their Ukrainian License is worthless here. The USCG allowed one to take the exam for A.B. And that is what he is sailing as now.

Have you looked into the possibilities of even being allowed to change to a work visa? I am not sure they are giving work visas for Merchant Marine jobs. There is a huge glut of unemployed mariners here in the US.
As an alternative, you could look into working foreign, using your license. There are companies who have foreign flagged some tugs and ships. But you would have to find them, and apply. I am not even sure of the names. I believe one is K-Sea Transportation. They are from Staten Island, NY. Another I heard about is DonJon Marine. They are from Newark, NJ. These are both tug companies. I have heard of cruise ship operators hiring. Since you have a license I would imagine that would be a way to go to work.

I am very much thankful with your reply.You had given me idea were to start. I will try to browse those companies you mentioned above.I used my license working foreign flags but companies hired me through outside U.S. I wish to try my luck applying directly from here but don’t have much idea were to find ships operators hiring. Glad you reply me and I appreciated if you could give me more companies where i could try.

Ya know bro I dont like to be mean but hey you are part of why there are not enough jobs for american Merchant Marines and right now I think its a bad time to ask I am always the first to help but I think you have to understand that these guys are helping you because there like me at least I hope they are I dont like to see anyone go with out. But why cant you get a job in your own country I my self am struggling just to get a job And hell I am an American strait up.There was an Blog in here not to long ago about foreign people on ships in the U.S. I have a bad time posting this I feel like I need to say some thing about it and If it were me trying to get a job in your Country for get it no way no how I have been to your Country Nuff said God bless you

Nuff said about all this Bullshit Call it a DAY ITS FIVE A CLOCK SOME WHERE.

it’s human nature to blame others for our own failures and shortcomings, that’s how xxxx managed to get all his dirty work done.
there must be something about you or your history or the way you present yourself why you can’t find a job, don’t blame others.
good luck with your job hunt.

hey bucaneer, thanks for the PM, sorry if I pissed you off - that was not my intent. I was just trying to point out that sometimes when the chips are down we look around us for someone to blame instead of looking in the mirror. Lord knows I’m that way.
good luck with the job hunt.

[QUOTE=cappy208;34353]I know of several Russian sailors who have immigrated to the US. Their Ukrainian License is worthless here. The USCG allowed one to take the exam for A.B. And that is what he is sailing as now.

Have you looked into the possibilities of even being allowed to change to a work visa? I am not sure they are giving work visas for Merchant Marine jobs. There is a huge glut of unemployed mariners here in the US.
As an alternative, you could look into working foreign, using your license. There are companies who have foreign flagged some tugs and ships. But you would have to find them, and apply. I am not even sure of the names. I believe one is K-Sea Transportation. They are from Staten Island, NY. Another I heard about is DonJon Marine. They are from Newark, NJ. These are both tug companies. I have heard of cruise ship operators hiring. Since you have a license I would imagine that would be a way to go to work.[/QUOTE]

Been there ;
there are more jobs at foreign shipping than the U.S. If you are interested in working for U.S. shipowners, you have to look for their crewing /manning agencies. Some offshore companies are looking for foreign personnel as well, but you still need a work permit.

You must be clear.

1. Do you want to go to work on US flag vessels? Meaning here in the US or
  2. Work on vessels owned by US companys who are foreign flagged? and work around the world?

It took me a while to see this may be what you are asking about.

To be able to work here in the US you have to be either a US citizen or have a “green card.” I have never heard of someone coming here specifically to work in the US Merchant Marine. I believe you could apply for immigrant status and then try to ship out. But you must realize shipping out on US flag would mean you would be a deckhand.

But you will be UNABLE to simply call Immigration and ask for a visa just to work here then go back home. You do realize that to work in the US flag fleet your license will be useless here? You will be starting off at the beginning.