DP Cable Ships

Hi,

I’m a recent maritime graduate and just quit offshore to work on DP cable ships. I find this sector of the industry very interesting, and I am hoping to learn more as I move up. Can anyone help me come up with a list of companies (besides TE Subcom) that perform this type of work? Thanks!

You “quit” working offshore before even knowing what companies to apply to? Or do you have a job but are looking for other opportunities?

Reckon they’re all foreign. If you’re not foreign you’re probably out of luck?

With a username like that, this must be a “highly experienced officer” that should skip DP and go straight to the top at Coastal.

How did you get that username? Did you taste your urine?

I’ll bite because I’m curious what rig you were laid off from? I cut ties a few years ago when the lawyers showed up. No one just leaves in this downturn. Is it the Tom Madden, Danny or the Douche-scoverer?

If you weren’t cut from the team I’d suck it up a little bit longer hand. You should never leave a job before you secure another job even if you saved up a glut of Fuck You money.

Tyco/Te Subcom (ATT) are all AMO gigs. I’d stay away from AMO myself but to each his own. Really nice Marshall Island Flagged Specialty Vessels. I’ve been aboard the dependable loading in Portsmouth NH. If you get lucky to land a 3/M spot you could be out of a job if the vessel gets laid up and has no work. Don’t need turd mates at the dock.

Might look into MSC if you don’t have a family/dog/girlfriend and need steady employment. If you have a DP cert you could secure a billet on the USNS Zeus. Get it set in stone before accepting a position if you decide to go this route.

No other cable ships are within reach unless you “know a guy” at Helix or Technip.

McDermott might be a close second doing heavy lift and subsea construction. They are currently hiring and constantly on the move doing some really cool jobs. My favorite was jacket demolition. We blasted the legs out and dragged the baby several miles away to create an artificial reef.

Everything above is just one guys opinion. Hope it helps. Good luck you salty bastard.

[QUOTE=Irish Pennant;178699]McDermott might be a close second doing heavy lift and subsea construction. They are currently hiring[/QUOTE]

My source on the inside says McDermott is actually not currently hiring, despite the job postings on the site (which have been there for a while and are occasionally renewed).

that’s interesting about AMO. See some of them in Portsmouth myself. Why bother with a US crew on a foreign ship though? It’s a great deal for us, but curious to know why. Defies all the naysayers’ logic, in a good way.

That’s a shame to hear Capt. Phoenix. I found the offshore construction side very exciting and really enjoyed working with J. Ray. Sometimes I regret leaving but after a mortgage and kids I opted to sell my soul to the highest bidder.

If you can afford it do what makes you happy Saltiestsalt.

“Saltiestsalt”

“Recent maritime graduate”

“Just quit offshore”

Very interesting.

I worked 5 years aboard cable ships, with Tyco. Great fleet, good ships manned with professional mariners. Very challenging and rewarding work, outside of the bridge.
Stay with Tyco, I am assuming you have already worked with them from your post. Tyco, and MSC (Zeus) are the only cable ships a US mariner will ever get to sail on. If you were half way decent they will call you again for projects and repairs if they have work, some ships have standby contracts where they are manned for immediate response to repair call outs.
Helix does not operate cable ships, they use to do pipe lay but not anymore.
Technip also only pipe lay vessels, which J-lay is very similar to cable except when it comes to the back deck during operations, and loading/offloading is done by the mariners, unless in hatchi or Newport factories.
Good luck