DPO: Rig vs. OSV

For anyone who has gone from Working on OSVs to DPO on drilling vessels. I know the pay is higher but is it more enjoyable overall? What are the positives and negatives? I’m considering making a move that way and just looking for some insight as to what I can expect. Thanks in advance.

after my own maritime graduation in 86, I went to and stayed in limited tonnage vessels as captain for a long long time before moving to where I am now (Helix) and have never regreted my time there (mostly Seacor). I travelled the world making great money as a captain working on large DP supply boats mastering many skills and having total autonomy. sea stories like you wouldn’t belieive. those young DPO’s who make big money are trapped there for life: its a golden prison better suited for older guys.
Now that i’m older with three kids these high paid but dull DP jobs are cushy and great: i dont do much, i make a lot of money, and i recognize that in all likelihood some of my maritime skills are lost as i spend hours staring at a Kongsberg or Coverteam.
my opinion is to stay away from the dull DP work till you’re older. get out and kick while you can. go get a captains job in Africa with Tidewater.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;52332]after my own maritime graduation in 86, I went to and stayed in limited tonnage vessels as captain for a long long time before moving to where I am now (Helix) and have never regreted my time there (mostly Seacor). I travelled the world making great money as a captain working on large DP supply boats mastering many skills and having total autonomy. sea stories like you wouldn’t belieive. those young DPO’s who make big money are trapped there for life: its a golden prison better suited for older guys.
Now that i’m older with three kids these high paid but dull DP jobs are cushy and great: i dont do much, i make a lot of money, and i recognize that in all likelihood some of my maritime skills are lost as i spend hours staring at a Kongsberg or Coverteam.
my opinion is to stay away from the dull DP work till you’re older. get out and kick while you can. go get a captains job in Africa with Tidewater.[/QUOTE]

YEP…you are definitely old!!

[QUOTE=frogstomp81;52322]For anyone who has gone from Working on OSVs to DPO on drilling vessels. I know the pay is higher but is it more enjoyable overall? What are the positives and negatives? I’m considering making a move that way and just looking for some insight as to what I can expect. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I go to work to make money. It has always been about the money for me. It is the reason I sacrifice time away from my family. Starting out I just happened to go the route of the osv. I eventually made it on to the rigs. I had a lot of fun working the osv’s and got to do a lot of things just like Richard said. If you want to be able retire in your 50’s if you chose to, then go to the rigs. If you want make pretty good money and have ok benefits and work all the time and not get paid training and partial travel then go to osv companies.

What is the salary for a class IV COC holder marine engineer on these vessel and what r the future prospect ???
Thanks in advance