2M/DPO Jobs

I’m a current 2 mate and DPO looking for new opportunities. 6 years of OSV and MPSV experience looking to possibly get on a drill ship but open to others. Any leads on open positions and companies hiring DPOs is appreciated!
Thanks

I get like, at least one seemingly urgent DPO job offer from Core Group per day. There is no shortage of DPO jobs.

1 Like

Same, but the pay from the last one I got wasn’t awesome either. (And posting an hourly/OT rate on an oilfield job makes me a little extra hesitant on a position with how companies are about OT)

Idk about that. None of the drilling companies are hiring DPOs nor have they been for quite some time now.

None of the drilling companies have hired directly since before COVID. You have to temp for several hitches and then they’ll hire you / buy out your contract from the temp agency.

1 Like

That’s not true. Transocean directly hired a ton of people somewhat recently and Seadrill has had a few openings they’ve direct hired for.

Okay.

I received a recent offer from TransOcean for a 3rd Mate Position. I spoke with the chief mate on one of their rigs during the interview process and was told it’s all deck work. They said it could take at least a year or two maybe longer just to get up DPO spot.

Yes, it’s 12 hours of inspections and deck maintenance.

Do you have a DP certificate?

Yes full DP, running my own watch on the OSV, Subsea boats for 6 years. The pay for 3rd mates at Transocean was $250 a day lower than what I was making.

That’s why they can’t keep 3rd Mates.

2 Likes

At least you had that info before you got there. GSF kept me totally in the dark about that until I got to the Jack Ryan. Thought I was going to be a DPO trainee right up until my first pre-tour meeting.

Needless to say, that omission of information and having to do asbestos removal on the Explorer led me to pursue other opportunities pretty quickly.

1 Like

:slight_smile: All the asbestos on the GSF Explorer was encapsulated so no danger. They sprayed some kind of varnish like substance on the insulation. Made it perfectly safe.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: They must have done that after I left. I was on asbestos floor tile duty in the forward house. Scrapers, dust masks, and dustpans; all getting tossed into super sacks for shoreside “disposal” with Mike the bosun watching over the whole time so we wouldn’t slack off.

Crowley has 2M openings.
Mate of Towing + DPO for
COS post showing only hitch of 4w/4w. Also have a post for
CPRS 28/28 $658 base day rate

Have to join SIU as well.
Anyone have experience or details? Is OT available on top of base? Pay seems low for MOT+DPO+Union dues

The Crowley job hire at the begging of the job and lays off at the end. I have a mate that was filling that spot until the wind farm job ended, they knew they had another job in like 8 weeks but laid off all the mates anyway, knowing that crewing was going to be a bitch.

2 Likes

Their union dues are pretty cheap. Remember, assuming you are sticking around for the duration, you get insurance with no premiums.That’s actually a competitive day rate in my opinion.

1 Like