Seeking DP Job

Anyone have any suggestions for smaller companies where I might find my first DP job. Obviously, I have taken the DP Induction course on my own dime. My focus is on getting my foot in the DP door, not on what it pays.

By the way, I’ve made a few helpful posts here over the past year or so. Now I am looking for helpful information —not instructions on how to use the search function.

Have you tried the search function?

I keed!! I’m in the same boat. I have a limited DP ticket and can’t find a damn job!

Tugsailor,

I have a friend who got hired at HOS last year. He has a 1600ton master with the towing endorsement. He went to the basic DP class at Biere Radio on his own dime. HOS tried to hire him for the hot fleet initially, he said thanks but no thanks and said if you’re not offering an OSV position…then have a nice day. They must have liked him, because the hiring manager offered him a training position on an OSV the next day. I plan on attending the DP intro class ASAP and following in the same footsteps. I will soon have a 3rd mate AGT oceans with just a completed TOAR. I have 10 years on deck and zero wheel time. I am going to go down and knock on some doors at the end of summer after my baby girl is born. All I can do is give it a whirl. You are a tug man, so that makes you a wheel man…right? You clearly have a better shot than me. So maybe make a trip down south. Just a friendly suggestion. And yes, I thank you for many informative, intelligent, and well articulated posts in the past year. You are clearly smart enough to "sell yourself " into a job. Good luck.

Keep making a nuisance of yourself! There are new boats hitting the water very soon. We recently had 18-20 new hires go trough orientation. All the companies have new deliveries coming this year. Someone is gonna pick both of y’all up. We all know there is a finite amount of people with the oilfield experience they would rather hire. All the companies are gonna have to start taking the new people trying break in down here.

There are 2 new hire mates on my boat, with Zero oil field experience. They don’t even know what DP stands for. That being said try Edison Chouest. Chouest will hire with no DP experience. Once hired you can go to Galliano Training Center for your DP.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;108740]Keep making a nuisance of yourself! There are new boats hitting the water very soon. We recently had 18-20 new hires go trough orientation. All the companies have new deliveries coming this year. Someone is gonna pick both of y’all up. We all know there is a finite amount of people with the oilfield experience they would rather hire. All the companies are gonna have to start taking the new people trying break in down here.[/QUOTE]

None of the big companies with new boats are going to hire me. I’m too old and cannot pass an intensive physical that is 7 hours long. I’m in very good health for my age, but I’m not perfect, and they can make a fuss about a couple of minor things if they want to. There are too many academy kids available that can pass the physical.

I had a couple years of wheel time in the oil patch, but it was a long time ago and my former employers are long gone.

I need to find a smaller lower paying company that is losing their experienced guys to the bigger and better paying companies. My focus is on getting DP seatime and current oil patch experience. When I get the DP certificate, then I’ll go looking for more money.

ACO and Odyssey are 2 that come to mind

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;108761]ACO and Odyssey are 2 that come to mind[/QUOTE]

Do the have any kind of training program that you know of?

ACO will hire you the minute you walk in the door. If you have basic DP they will lock the door to keep you from escaping.

There’s a reason ACO is tying up boats and it’s not for lack of work…

C&G and Botruc are both companies that come to mind that offer what you are looking for. C&G’s psychical is nothing big, just as long as you’re blood pressure is good and you don’t have any serious back problems your good.

I didn’t think Chouest physical was to demanding. The machine that have to pull on was awkward but not terrible difficult, not like you had to do chin ups or even a pushup. But I did that like seven years ago so I don’t know if they’ve made it hard or not since then. HOS is the only company I know of that has a physical that’s a real bitch, but there are plenty of other companies out there.

Only two of C&G’s supply boats are DP classed so you’re time wont count towards your certificate, but they have like three other supply boats and two mini supply’s with DP do you can get experience. The Mini’s might be classed, I don’t know I’ve never worked on them.

Botruc has several newer boats that are classed, and the two bigger one’s are even DP 2 so getting your DP license is easier there.

Botruc’s two DP2 boats are nice. Schedule’s are 14/14. Ok if you’re local, but they don’t pay travel, so if you have to fly in/out for crew change it could be tough. Rest of the fleet is 28/14 and there are seven DP1 boats that use EMI systems (a moderately intelligent chimp could figure it out). Physical is not that demanding. 401K after a year, but they aren’t matching. Medical, dental, & life insurance. Good place to start off at.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;108752]None of the big companies with new boats are going to hire me. I’m too old and cannot pass an intensive physical that is 7 hours long. I’m in very good health for my age, but I’m not perfect, and they can make a fuss about a couple of minor things if they want to. There are too many academy kids available that can pass the physical.

I had a couple years of wheel time in the oil patch, but it was a long time ago and my former employers are long gone.

I need to find a smaller lower paying company that is losing their experienced guys to the bigger and better paying companies. My focus is on getting DP seatime and current oil patch experience. When I get the DP certificate, then I’ll go looking for more money.[/QUOTE]

Don’t sell yourself short and pass up any doors without even trying to open them. I believe that even with the big companies timing is everything. Chouest’s physical is not that demanding, can’t speak about the others. Without DP I would bet you have a better than 50% chance at the bigger companies and you certainly aren’t going to lose anything by trying. I’ve seen plenty of “older” new hires come thru their doors.

There is also a change in medical staff at ECO. This alone should streamline things.

If I recall correctly, I was taking my DP Basic with a guy in his early sixties that was just hired on with Hornbeck. That was last June.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;108941]There is also a change in medical staff at ECO. This alone should streamline things.[/QUOTE]

So it’s true Dr. Death is gone.

Dr. Duet left? How bad will his replacement be?

[QUOTE=“ElCapitan;109018”]Dr. Duet left? How bad will his replacement be?[/QUOTE]

He didn’t leave, he was fired.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;109019]He didn’t leave, he was fired.[/QUOTE]

Why? Because he was screening out too many candidates that had nothing wrong with them?

[QUOTE=“tugsailor;109061”]Why? Because he was screening out too many candidates that had nothing wrong with them?[/QUOTE]

I heard he pissed dirty and was selling prescriptions. I’ll double check tomorrow to see if it was one of those or both.

That is true ^^^