3/M unlimited looking to get into dp any suggestions

Recent grad of a year now been wanting to do dp since I got out but landed a job as a mate and took it right away but dp is what I really wanna get into and learn I been tankering and tug boating since I been out any ideas on what to do to get even looked at for dp and hopefully make a career out of it

Apply at ECO quite a few new grads that I know of got hired and/are getting dpo trained up at their school.

Apply everywhere: OSV companies, Drilling Companies, Dive Boat Companies, etc… Someone will give you a chance.
OSV: Chouest and Candies hire new grads
Drilling Companies: Noble and Transocean will hire new grads as well

With the new builds coming out at the rate they are coming out, jobs will come from everywhere. The workboat companies are paying really good money now too. If you go to Noble straight out of school, you’ll most likely get a 3rd mate spot. When I was there, the thirds on my ship (a semi) didn’t do too much DP, but they were able to get training knocked out after the deck rounds were done. At Noble you’d need over a year to get your training done. At a workboat company you can do a 28/14 schedule and knock out your DP time fast, get your cert and be trained up really nice. With your cert you can get an Assistant DPO (JDPO) spot at a drilling company and skip the long training, if you want. Either way is good. If you go to the workboats, you may find you like the excitement of piloting in and out of port and the much smaller crew sizes. On the drillships and semis you might like the nice food comfortable quarters and equal time.

You are lucky to be on dp half the time you are on the boats. It’s closer to two years to get certified now on workboats. Go on a drill rig/ship right off.

I feel your pain bro. Im currently sailing as a second mate and applying eveywhere I can find that may take on trainee DP operators. Nothng as of yet, but I shall keep plugging away.

Apply to chouest, we have been hiring, and with all the new builds comming out and people going to them there will be spots opening up. Depending on what boat you get on depends on how much dp time you’ll get but I can promise you you’ll get what you need. Good luck

Do you have any contact details for Chouest? Being a citizen of the UK is it worth sending an email or do they only hire US citizens?

Keep up on it, Nicky is a very man. Persistence pays off, pm me and we can talk further, I may be able to help you out.

My boyfriend just got hired by ECO in may and now is in DP school. I am getting the run around from deepsea companies, so I’m looking to work for an offshore supply company like ECO. Ive applied to a lot of them, but nothing yet. I really could use some advice on this. Btw I have my 3rd mates oceans unlimited license.

If you are applying at drilling companies make sure you are applying for a 3rd mate position and not a DPO position. Many of the drilling companies require you to have your DP cert to get hired as a DPO. If you can get in as a 3rd mate or 2nd mate if you have the license, its a way to get your foot in the door. Then bust your ass on deck and wait for a DPO spot to open. They will pay for all your training!!! 3rd Mate/ 2nd mate pay on a drillship ain’t too bad either.

[QUOTE=aaleo75;70804]Recent grad of a year now been wanting to do dp since I got out but landed a job as a mate and took it right away but dp is what I really wanna get into and learn I been tankering and tug boating since I been out any ideas on what to do to get even looked at for dp and hopefully make a career out of it[/QUOTE]

I assume you’re a college graduate, and yet your 3 posts in this thread have been 3 run-on sentences with exactly zero punctuation? If this is indicative of your correspondence with the drilling companies, then I’m not surprised that your applications have been getting round-filed.

And to save you future effort, here’s a good template to use next time you post:

not sure y puntcuation is so impotent i think you guys r just mad that im getting into drilling so i can make bank i put in my time and now its time to get paid u probnably text like an old man 2 get wit the times dis is how we commujnicatese dese days

Please respect those who give suggestions and advice. I understand the importance of spelling and punctuation in a resume or cover letter. It helps a lot these days, trust me.

whose DP Certificate did you receive?
Did your instructor previously work at Beier radio?